Oak Ridge Golf Club - MA

Year Built 1974
Fairways Blue Grass

Clubhouse, Meeting Facilities, Banquet Facilities

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in New England (2016 #9)

Watch out for the bears that loom around the 16th tee box

Course in good shape. The traps still need work. The leaves were a major problem

Golf

Course was in good shape and pace of play was great

Me like oak ridge

Haven't played Crestview yet so I can't say this is Agawam's best course but this is, in my humble opinion, head and shoulders better than St. Annes and Agawam G.C. Don't get me wrong, I've never had a bad time at St.A or AGC, but there's something about Oak Ridge that is just better, I dunno. I just wanna hit driver, wedge, and putter. Here's a place you can do it. Good greens. Well maintained fairways. Tee boxes I have no complaints.

Airation

Would be nice if c.c. reported recent aeration. I understand spring & fall is when golf courses aerate but not reporting is skeptical

Commented on 09/07/2021

Hello. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Oak Ridge Golf Club.

Great Layout & in Super Condition

This is a great course to play and it is in excellent condition.

Commented on 08/27/2021

Thank you for taking the time to review us and rate us 5-stars. Your feedback is valuable, and we look forward to delivering you excellent service again soon. Oak Ridge Golf Club thanks you!

Connecticut Advisor

A Layout Durable as Oak

Oak Ridge turned into a fun visit for me today, having been paired with two friendly and interesting Golf Now players; our conversation never waned over the eighteen.

Of typical length from the whites and blues, the durable 1974 Fazio layout at Oak Ridge nonetheless plays longer than its total yards, owing primarily to its par of 70, along with five par-3s ranging (today at least) from 176 to 200 yards from the blue tees. Also in the mix are three par-5’s ranging from 500 to 575. And the longest, hole six, forces most golfers to lay up from the tee with something less than a driver. I ended up hitting into the green on my third shot with a six-iron today, but only partly because the course was soggy from the aftereffects of Sunday/Monday’s tropical storm. Architects George and Tom Fazio thought you should be challenged a bit more on these five-pars, so they made the twelfth (for example) an especially narrow, angular brute that plays uphill over its second half. And they sited its green on a tall plateau. Yikes!

The course rating from the deepest tees--the golds, at 6,702 yards--is a rather whopping 72.6 against par of 70; it’s still 70.6 from the blues. That’s just plain difficult. The Fazio’s also threw in, for good measure, several tough and fairly long four-pars featuring doglegs, ponds and streams, deep and strategically-placed bunkering, and plenty of trees that definitely hinder progress toward the greens when fairways are missed, and not necessarily by all that much.

No doubt Oak Ridge is full of strong and well-designed holes. The opening trio of par-fours sets the tone, but there are more good ones at nine, ten, and eighteen. Of the five par-3’s, every hole works, though I particularly like the 11th and 17th for their straightforward challenges. The three-shotters, on the other hand, are decent enough, but I don’t think any stand out, unless you like the kind of torture-test that is the twelfth. Okay, it’s still playable. The sixteenth finishes well with a well-used dogleg to a shallow and well-defended green, but the rest is a bit mundane.

All in all, though, this layout is a winner. The Fazios deliver a playable course with realistic challenges. Nothing is really tricked up (it’s just tough). I’m not a fan of their tendency, though, to block the crooks of doglegs with trees both sizable and huge (such as at seven and eighteen). Clearly this is unfair to shorter hitters who can’t blow it by the corner, and so may be blocked from the green, oftentimes, when their drives veer toward the crook. This is a point about general design that Tom Doak makes in his “The Anatomy of a Golf Course.”

The greens should keep you engaged here, with enough slopes and variability in their design to constantly change things up from hole to hole. Their breaks tend to be subtle, and reading them correctly isn’t easy. On aesthetics, as well, O.R. is a first-rate golf course. It also feels secluded, nicely, from the outside world.

Conditioning:
Overall good. Fairways ranged from fair to very good (some, like five and six were patchy). Tees and roughs were good, while the greens stood out as excellent--some of the best I’ve played this year.

Best Hole: The tenth, par-4, 431 (blues).
Straightaway but long two-shotter that is best played with a draw from the tee, opening up the bunker-flanked green better from the fairway’s left side.

Some Conclusions:
Definitely recommended, especially for its layout. I don’t think you can go wrong with nearly any Fazio course. This track, too, is the most challenging of three I’ve played in Agawam. Nice clubhouse, capable and friendly service. Oak Ridge was recognized as one of thirteen notable courses in Massachusetts (rating “excellent”) in the 1995 edition of “The American Golfer’s Guide,” by Hubert Pedroli & Mary Tiegreen.

Commented on 08/27/2021

Thank you so much for sharing your 5-star experience. We look forward to seeing you again at the course soon! Thanks for choosing Oak Ridge Golf Club.

Has declined over the years

I've played Oak Ridge as far back as 25 years. The greens are excellent, a little slow but tees and fairways have declined over the years. There were no rakes at any of the bunkers so we had to play them up and just looks in disrepair. I love the layout as it is a fun and challenging golf course but need to put some money into it.

Commented on 08/09/2021

Thank you for your review. We will pass along your positive experience and feedback to our team at Oak Ridge Golf Club. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Wish it was closer

Will definitely play again. Only complaint is that many of the cart paths are badly beat up,, chunky and very bumpy. Seems to be a low priority for many courses.

Commented on 08/09/2021

Thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the condition of the cart path. Your feedback is important to us, and we are going to escalate your feedback to our team so we can make improvements. We will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing Oak Ridge Golf Club. We hope to see you again soon.

Great round with my son.

Played early this morning with my son. Friendly staff and course was in fantastic condition.

I recommend this course to anyone who wants to play a fun course. Enjoy your round.

Commented on 07/26/2021

Your feedback is important to us. Thank you for sharing your 5-star experience. We look forward to seeing you again at the course soon! Thanks for choosing Oak Ridge Golf Club.

Commented on 07/26/2021

We love hearing about our golfers' experiences. Please tell us more about what you enjoyed during your round. Thanks for choosing Oak Ridge Golf Club!

Commented on 07/26/2021

Hi, we are so pleased that you enjoyed your time at Oak Ridge Golf Club. We look forward to seeing you on the course again soon!

Commented on 07/22/2021

Hi. We would love to hear more about your 4-star experience on our course. Please tell us what we can do to earn that last star, and thanks for golfing at Oak Ridge Golf Club!

Commented on 07/21/2021

Hi. We would love to hear more about your positive experience on our course. Please contact us to share with us your favorite part of your experience. Thanks for golfing at Oak Ridge Golf Club!

Commented on 07/20/2021

Hello and thank you for your 5-star rating! We're delighted you enjoyed your round. Please book another round with us soon, and thanks for choosing Oak Ridge Golf Club!

Feeding Hills, Massachusetts