Blue Hills Golf Club

Year Built 1920
Architect Clarence King

Bar, Grill, Restaurant

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Virginia (2018 #12)

Commented on 05/12/2021

Hi, u314160793854. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time at Blue Hills Golf Course. We look forward to seeing you on the course soon for another 5-star experience!

If you’re not a pro or a male, do not come

Wow Blue Hills Golf Club really went there with this one today and I have the time. I came to drive my husband today for a quick 18 with our friends, which is our tradition on Cinco de Mayo. While my husband and the team aren’t pros, per say, they definitely don’t suck and definitely don’t take forever. We make sure to be respectful, we go at pace, and if there’s a smaller team we let them play through. We were backed up by a team of SIX, causing us to be late to get started with our tee time (some of whom didn’t have on the appropriate attire, and had never played golf before). Again, we were respectful and let whoever was faster play through even though we were bummed to have gotten started late. I help the guys by searching for balls, watching for balls, etc. which means that I do have to leave the confines of the cart while searching as they play to help pace go even faster. I wear the appropriate attire, I stay to the cart as much as possible, and I don’t get in anyone’s way. I don’t play but enjoy watching.
At hole 12, the pro came by stating that someone complained we were taking too long. The worst part though, is that this someone also complained that a “female” was hitting on the course. This is something the pro entertained, and made us extremely uncomfortable by mentioning. We were unable to play the rest of the course without fear that some of these men would yet again complain that there was, HEAVEN FORBID, a woman on the golf course helping the men play golf. While we voiced our complaints and received vouchers for free play, I feel like every woman who has a partner who golfs or every woman golfer should be aware of this. Hey blue hills, next time maybe we don’t entertain this sort of complaint - especially when we are playing respectfully, and at pace. I guess you can say it’s just, “par for the course” around these parts of southwest Virginia. Spoiler alert, women CAN be out of the kitchen and CAN be on the golf course, even if they aren’t playing.

Commented on 05/10/2021

We are sorry that your day at Blue Hills made you so upset. I welcome you to call me in the shop at any time to discuss what we could have done to make your day more enjoyable. We take every review seriously. I was compelled to reply to your review from, as it was filled with and misinformation and inaccurate innuendos of sexism. One of the most unfortunate things about an online review is the ability for a disgruntled customer to post wild inaccuracies with no accountability.
When I spoke to your group on the 14th green, you were not present. Maybe they misled you on the content of the conversation. At that point, you all had been on the golf course for 4 hours and had played 14 holes. While we appreciate that you had let 2 groups play through, your group caused our course to be significantly backed up. The 'complaint' that you referenced was focused on the fact that multiple groups phoned saying that there was a group of 5 playing on the golf course 4 gentleman and 1 woman, and they were playing slowly. I did reiterate that same comment to your group. The problem Blue Hills (and the players behind you) had with your group was not that a female was playing golf but there was a fivesome on the course that had played 14 holes in 4 hours.
In brief reply to your claims of misogyny, they could not be further off base. We encourage and promote women's golf here on a daily basis. I hate that we even have to talk about things in terms of race or gender. At Blue Hills, I assure you that a golfer is a golfer, and we will do everything in our power to make sure that you enjoy your experience. Unfortunately, your group on the 5th of May, caused many other groups to not enjoy their day. My mistake was not talking to your group about your slow play. I apologize that you had a poor experience. Thank you for playing Blue Hills Golf Club and please contact the pro shop and ask for John to further discuss this matter, thank you.

Commented on 05/01/2021

Hello, Crstanger1308. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. We would love to know how we can earn those last two stars next time! Thanks for playing Blue Hills Golf Course.

Commented on 05/01/2021

Hi, hhson0815. We would love to hear more about your 4-star experience on our course. Please tell us what we can do to earn that last star, and thanks for golfing at Blue Hills Golf Course!

Commented on 04/21/2021

Thanks so much for your wonderful review, u314161429006. We are thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your time with us. Please visit again soon. Thanks for choosing Blue Hills Golf Course!

Good value

Course was playing winter conditions. Greens were being maintained.

Commented on 03/29/2021

Hi, Chasgatt. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Blue Hills Golf Course.

Commented on 03/17/2021

Hello, u000006058392. We appreciate the review. You rated us 3-stars which means there is room to improve on your recent experience at Blue Hills Golf Course. Let us know, in the comments, how and where you would like to see changes from the course. Thanks for the feedback!

Commented on 02/02/2021

Hi, FredrichA5645070. We would love to hear more about your positive experience on our course. Please contact us at (540) 344-7848 to share with us your favorite part of your experience with us. Thanks for golfing at Blue Hills Golf Course!

Never Again

Checked in and paid green fees almost an hour before tee time. There was a frost delay earlier that caused some delay and chaos. Witnessed a group of five tee off, none of whom hit the fairway. As my time approached I inquired when I would be sent to the first tee. My name was called after the other single golfer was already on first green. Staff did not seem to care nor did they even attempt to see if I could be added to a subsequent group. I told them to keep my green fees and I would never be back; they didn’t seem to care. Clearly, they had no interest in keeping my business.

Commented on 01/11/2021

It was good talking with you today. I wish I was able to remove my post but that does not appear to be an option. I will be back.

Commented on 01/11/2021

I apologize for your experience here on Sunday morning. A busy day, a frost delay and short staffed, did not leave us in a good position to take care of you. I am glad we had a chance to talk about your experience over the phone. I look forward to having you back out soon, thank you for your business and a second chance to earn it!

John Steffen PGA

Never Again

I scheduled a 10:42 tee time thru GolfNow. Arrived almost an hour before my time and paid green fees. There was a frost delay that pushed things back a bit so I spent some time on the putting green. I noticed they sent out a group of five, none of which managed to hit the first fairway. As my time approached I asked the staff in the golf shop what group was up on the tee. They seemed confused but said I was up after them but they didn’t know the whereabouts of the single player I was pared with. At that point they called my name to be next up along with the missing player. I pulled up my card behind the group on the tee and noticed a single player was already up on the first green. The foursome on the tee already tees off and we’re headed to the fairway. Another foursome were already getting ready to approach the first tee box. I was reluctant to go off in front of them as it was clearly their time. I returned to golf shop and they seemed to care less about why I was passed o Er or how the other single golfer was able to get out by himself without being called. Clearly they cater to their regular players and members. No offer or effort was made to possibly hook me up with another group of two or three players. I told them to keep the green fees I already paid, though no offer was made to refund me in any event.

Commented on 01/12/2021

Course manager returned my call and made everything right. Wish I could delete the post but that does not seem to be an option.

Commented on 05/01/2021

Hello and thank you for your 5-star rating, FredrichA5645070! We're delighted you enjoyed your round. Please book another round with us soon, and thanks for choosing Blue Hills Golf Course!

Commented on 02/02/2021

We love hearing about our golfers' experiences, FredrichA5645070. Please tell us more about what you enjoyed during your round. Thanks for choosing Blue Hills Golf Course!

Commented on 02/02/2021

iamjiwjr, we want to hear more about your experience with us! Please call us at (540) 344-7848. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Commented on 02/02/2021

Hi, u233197035. We would love to hear more about your positive experience on our course. Please contact us at (540) 344-7848 to share with us your favorite part of your experience with us. Thanks for golfing at Blue Hills Golf Course!

Commented on 02/02/2021

Hello, u000006429247. Thank you for visiting us at Blue Hills Golf Course. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

Commented on 02/02/2021

Hi, u000006058392. We would love to hear more about your positive experience on our course. Please contact us at (540) 344-7848 to share with us your favorite part of your experience with us. Thanks for golfing at Blue Hills Golf Course!

Good fun

. This is a hidden gem in the back of an industrial area. You can smell the fresh bread when it cooking from the factory near by. The fairways are generous and the rough is penal. The gras around the green is thick and challenging. The pars are challenging and even the short ones are more difficult than they seem. The greens are just the right pace for me. Some of the t boxes were moved for winter which is unpleasant but understood. I score my best rounds here and always enjoy my time at blue hills golf course.

Commented on 02/02/2021

Hi, u1102672. We appreciate you leaving a review and rating us. We will inform the entire team, so they know their hard work is paying off. We look forward to having you back at Blue Hills Golf Course!

Commented on 02/02/2021

u233197035, we want to hear more about your experience with us! Please call us at (540) 344-7848. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Salem, Virginia