Bass Lake Golf Course boasts some of the finest golf in the Northwoods. Carefully carved from mature forests of oak and pine trees, the course is abundant with native wildlife. The course dates back to 1926 but it underwent a major renovation in 2003 that made certain aspects more challenging, while also making it more playable for a wider range of skill levels. The layout is much like playing two golf courses in one with a front nine that is tightly lined with trees and a hillier back nine that wraps around a large lake. There are also a few small ponds that come into play on the front nine. The rolling terrain guarantees uneven lies as well as the occasional blind shot. Accuracy will also be needed in order to avoid the strategically placed sand traps, mature trees, and thick rough.

Bass Lake Golf Course

Year Built 1926
Architect Larry Packard (1961) Jerry Matthews

Carts Yes - $13

Bar, Grill, Restaurant

Great day of golf! Very friendly GM.

I booked the round for a steal of a deal on my way to the northwoods. I was immediately greeted by the general manager who made sure that I had everything I needed. He introduced himself to me and remembered my name after the initial encounter. The course was in excellent shape, and I will be back.

Excellent golf course!

Bass Lake golf course is an excellent place to play golf! The course was in great shape for it being only the beginning of May. The greens were very nice. The layout of the course is awesome. I strongly recommend playing this course if you haven’t yet. I arrived at 8:30 AM and the General Manager met me at my car with a golf cart for me. He introduced himself and asked if I had any questions. What service!!! I will definitely be back to play here again.

This course is in great shape and has very friendly staff. We did wait on quite a few shots but still played in 3 1/2 hours walking. Lots of target golf and some shorter holes, so played from the blue tees

Well kept and challenging.

Challenging lay out with super nice greens! Very true and just the right speed.

Great stop on our way to St Germain

It’s a small pro shop and bar/restaurant with a nice deck area to eat. The staff are very friendly and accommodating and the course is beautiful and in great condition.

Zach

Course is always in great shape. Greens are so true. Staff is super friendly and always find ways to make your round better each time.

Great day

I was able to get out early, get 18 in and have a lot of time left for up north fun.

Want to play an okay round this place is for you!!!

Gent that took our reservation was awesome, informative and super friendly.
Now the not so good pace of play was bad, had a 5 some in front of us 2 carts 2 walking go figure. I realize a group of friends want to play together for a guys day out but pony up get the 3rd cart and move along.
Apart from a couple holes over water the course is quiet Meh!
Greens are are fast and too much undulation I like a challenge but man...
All in all it’s an average course for an average price. Want to play an epic course for the same money 30 minutes to Rhinelander and play NorthWood.

Very nice course and staff. Aerating is being done on some greens.

Best course north of highway 29 (Hidden Gem)

For $6 on the golfnow app, this was way more than worth the price plus my hour and 40 minute drive just to get there. The course is absolutely fantastic. The fairways are cut super tight which gives you that great roll. It's like the course is cut right into the middle of a forest. The greens are very well maintained, you can tell they are rolled. I have to mention the sand traps as well because I found myself in them multiple times. It's all sand unlike some places that have stones mixed in, there is none of that all sand. I would like to know how many acres this course sits on because there are so many long holes and there are very few that you have to worry about someone else spraying a bad shot at you. The staff there are all great people 2 out of the 3 shook my hand and talked with me just to be nice not just to move you along and take your money like. I will be coming back, and bringing friends.

Fun Course

Very nice course for Seniors. Well maintained and very challenging. Had a great time. Will play it again this year

One of the nicest courses in NE WIS.

My wife and I both played the course and really enjoyed ourselves. Great course and will definitely play again.

Excellent weather

A beautiful couse

The course is challenging. The greens are very fast and require precise iron approaches in order to make for easier putting.

Nice Outing

Bass Lake is a very nice course. For this time of year the greens were in very good shape and overall we had a great day of golf with good bar staff after our round.

Average weather

Will not honor GolfNow

Lets start out saying that this is a very nice course, I really enjoy playing this course. I golfed it quite a few times over the summer this year. We never ate there, we only ordered a couple drinks from the beverage cart, that was all.

What really bothered me about the last time we were there was this. We had a tee time for 9:07 (roughly) for four of us riding 18 on Friday October 2nd . We showed up around 8:30 and prior to getting there I checked the Golfnow website to see if their were ay specials, just so happened there was. For 18 holes riding it was $35/person +tax. For 9:15 AM. Instead of booking with that, I figured I would ask the pro shop if they would honor the $35/ea price to us so I wouldn’t have to go through the website. She turned us down and said she would honor it “next time”…… next time???? Ok so being so far up north the course is open two/three more weeks….next time…whatever. So when I asked how much it would be it came to $49.11/ea +tax, so roughly $52/ea. That is quite a hike in price from the $35/ea. I didn’t make big stink about it there as I just paid the increase in price. She then told me they had 89 groups coming through today, so she wouldn’t honor that $35 price. Ok, whats that mean? You want to make more money? Then why be on the Golfnow website? On that day we also had a frost delay, so we didn’t end up teeing off until 10:00 or so. She did throw in a free bucket of range balls. I was pretty upset after the fact hence why I didn’t make a big stink about it in the pro shop, but after awhile it got to me so I figure I would write this review to let others know.

Thanks,
Matt

Excellent weather

Don't Miss Out on this Gem!

Played Bass Lake (35 minutes from Rhinelander) 3 times the 2nd week of Sept. on annual fall vacation in the north woods. Fantastic course, fabulous condition, Very friendly staff. As a 8-10 handicapper, the Blue tees were challenging (I was not up to the Black tees, which would have made it a very difficult test). Don't recommend the white tees unless a 18 handicapper or worse). 6 days after the greens were aerated, they were in great shape. Beautiful hilly course without any gimmicks or impossible shots (but some great views and very demanding shots).

Will not play any other courses in the area as long as I am in this part of the state.

Pickerel, Wisconsin
Antigo, Wisconsin
Gleason, Wisconsin
Rhinelander, Wisconsin
4.5319294118
Wausau, Wisconsin
KOHLER, WI | Enjoy 2 nights’ accommodations at The American Club or the Inn at Woodlake and 3 rounds of golf at Blackwolf Run (River or Meadow Valleys Course) and Whistling Straits (Straits or Irish Course)
KOHLER, WI | Enjoy 3 nights’ accommodations at The American Club or the Inn on Woodlake and 4 rounds of golf at Blackwolf Run (River & Meadow Valley Courses) and Whistling Straits (Straits & Irish Courses).
LAKE GENEVA, WI | Discover Lake Geneva’s premier must-visit destination at Geneva National Resort & Club. Located off the wooded slopes and shores of Lake Como, the semi-private Geneva National presents 54 holes of legendary golf designed by Arnold Palmer, Gary Player and Lee Trevino, along with on-course lodging at the Cottages & Suites at Geneva National.