Peninsula Golf and Racquet Club

Year Built 1995
Architect Earl Stone (1995)

Credit Cards Accepted VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Accepted

Superb!!

This has now become my favorite in the gulf shores area. From the bag drop thru the finish, everything was first rate. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The course was in great condition and the pace of play was 4:10, just has desired. Worth the money.

Greens are Great

The greens on the some of the best that I have played on at the marsh course.

Club Management

I had multiple issues with the starters hut on this day. They didn't have my tee time because they said, "the front desk didn't tell them." But they corrected their log and all was well. Later one of the starters sent off early, the twosome I was supposed to be paired with but didn't inform the other starters. Because they weren't aware of the change they didn't know to find me a group and so they sent me off as a single on a busy Sunday morning. When I made the turn a single had jumped in front of me. When I spoke to the starters about it they told me I was mistaken, that they were behind schedule and that is why a different person/group was now on the tee box. They didn't bother to check with the single and to confirm what they were telling me. I did. The single had stopped for lunch and was coming back into rotation. No problem, we hooked up and finished the round. I issue I have is the multiple failings of the starters hut (there were four or five personnel working the starters hut) and the total lack of management anywhere on the facility. The bar/restaurant had one person working, taking orders, making drinks, serving meals and bussing tables. Do you think you would have to wait to get a soda? I didn't see the drink cart until the fourteenth hole (2 1/2 hours into the round). I play 2-3 rounds a week in the Gulf Shores/Orange Beach area and there are eight clubs within a 25 mile radius so to be paying resort prices for substandard service is foolish. I'm going to take my business elsewhere.

In great condition

Played Lakes and Cypress, been a while since we played Lakes. First three holes water comes into play and they are toughest holes on that 9 survive them and your off to a good round.

Family Golf Day

I played this as a threesome for my first time. We had different skill golfers and we all had a great time. Great fairways. Greens were beautiful but a little too slow. Pace of play was excellent. Can’t wait to play again.

Played All Three

I had the opportunity to play all three 9s at Peninsula and I am glad that I did. Each course has it's own unique feel and style while the conditions are consistent throughout the property.

The greens are the stars of the facility. Some of the best putting surfaces I have ever played on. There are lots of subtleties and undulations creating challenges while putting, but the greens are fair and can be read. These greens are remarkably smooth and fast. They are firm, but can also hold a well struck shot. The conditions on the rest of the course were good for the time of year. There is plenty of grass to hit off, there are definitely brown areas but that is to be expected in the winter.

The course layouts offer lots of options for the player. There are plenty of opportunities to hit driver off the tee, but trouble lurks in many areas in the form of forced carries, well placed bunkers, and several water hazards. The courses are not very long, but accuracy off the tee is necessary to score well.

I found the Cypress 9 to be the least interesting of the three courses, but it was still fun to play and greens were very good like the other two courses. Cypress has a lot of straight forward holes, but it is also the longest of the three courses. Swing away on most holes and you will be fine.

The Lakes 9, like it's name suggests has at least one watery area waiting for an errant shot on every hole. This 9 requires precision shot making off of the tee to score well. Back to back par 5s #6 and #7 offer great scoring opportunities. The seventh also has a view of the Mobile bay from the tee. It's a great hole that is reachable in two, but requires two great shots to get there. The 9th on Lakes is a tough long par 4 to an elevated and very long green. It's a great finishing hole!

I had the most fun on the Marsh course. This 9 has a lot of variety and plenty of decisions to make off the tee. Several of the fairways get quite narrow leading up to the greens. I loved the driveable 6th on Marsh. There are several different teeing areas that can create many different angles to the elevated green. The 9th at Marsh is a great risk reward par 5. If going for the green in 2 the shot must challenge the lake guarding the left side of the green. Another great finishing hole!

Peninsula is a facility that offers lots of great golf holes in an awesome setting. The staff is friendly and while the tee sheet was full, the pace of play was just fine without the ranger having to nag everyone on the course. Overall this is the best layout we played in the area during a weeklong trip. I would definitely return.

Ranger Pressure

We had a 1040 tee and waiting on the other 2 players till 1038. Starter took out to Hole 1. There was no one in front of us. By H3 the two some behind us was on our case and we are fast. On H7 Ranger comes by.."did something happen what's wrong there are w holes open in front of you". I told him that we were playing at a 1H 45M pace. He was very rude. We finished in 3H 38M and all shot in the 80s. Why send 2somes out? The Ranger was way out of line.

Have recommended

The course is one of the best in the Gulf Shores area. It drains exceptionally well, so after rain, it is a top choice.

Always fun to play!

Great course with great layout. Greens in great shape, super quick. Don’t miss an opportunity to stop at the clubhouse and eat a bowl of corn and crab chowder! Simply divine.

Never pass the chance to play here

Beautiful course and super friendly staff. We play here every chance we get. One group slowed us down a bit today, but it takes nothing away from this gem.

Beyond Pleased

To start off, the staff is impeccable. I accidentally booked a tee time for the day after we were there. The lady was so helpful in getting it changed and got us on our way. The bar ladies are phenomenal, some can be snooty but not here!! When we return to this area, I’ll definitely be back to play the course again.

Worth It

Course was as described. excellent. Friendly staff. Pricey, but worth it. Enjoyed my day. Golfing with my family.

Best course in the area

I was in town for the week and played Peninsula, Craft Farms, and Perdido Bay Resort. Peninsula was by far the best course and in the best condition. The staff was very friendly, pace of play was great, food was great at the clubhouse, and they have bushwhackers on draft! When I come back in the area, this is the only course I will be playing.

Gulf Shores

Course in great shape . Friendly and efficient staff.

Dead greens

The course having just gone through recent renovations to all the greens looked amazing and played great. But to my surprise as a local i showed up today and found the greens were purposely sprayed to kill the grass to do new greens. Adding insult, as a local i paid full price in the morning to get a quick round in before the afternoon. I was never asked or warned of the conditions of the greens nor if i even wanted to play such conditions. I had to find the greens were dead on lakeside and hard as a rock as my ball bounced off into the rough. The greens were rolling like glass, you could not stop a ball on your approach shot. Had i been warned i would not have played the course in the shape it was in. Even local members were fuming on the greens. This caused pace of play to slow to a crawl as everyone was having trouble putting and chipping. As a local, my opinion is nothing to anyone that matters but i wont be back for a long time over this one.

Commented on 08/15/2021

Adapt, not every course is perfect. If you want perfect conditions, play online.

Orange Beach, Alabama
Peninsula Golf and Racquet Club
Best of Gulf Shores Golf Package
GULF SHORES, AL | Enjoy 4 nights' accommodations at The Grand Hotel Golf Resort & Spa, Autograph Collection and 3 rounds of golf at Peninsula Golf & Racquet Club and Craft Farms Golf Resort (Cypress Bend & Cotton Creek Courses).
POINT CLEAR, AL | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at The Grand Hotel Golf Resort & Spa, Autograph Collection and 2 rounds of golf at Lakewood Golf Club - Azalea & Dogwood Courses.
MOBILE, AL | Enjoy 4 nights' accommodations at the Renaissance Mobile Riverview Plaza Resort and 3 rounds of golf at Magnolia Grove Golf Club (Crossings & Falls Courses) and Lakewood Golf Club (Azalea or Dogwood Course).
MIRAMAR BEACH, FL | Enjoy 4 nights' accommodations at Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort and 4 rounds of golf at The Links Golf Club, Baytowne Golf Club, Raven Golf Club, and Burnt Pine Golf Club.