Type Public/Municipal
Style Traditional

Papago Golf Course is conveniently situated just a few minutes from downtown Phoenix though you would never be able to tell with the peace and seclusion provided by the course's location in Papago Park. The golf course sits at the base of Papago Buttes, past the rugged red rocks you can see Phoenix skyline. The course was designed by William Francis Bell, whom you may know for Torrey Pines in San Diego. The challenging layout features undulating greens framed with strategically placed bunkers and subtle but tricky mounding. Water hazards appear on a few holes as well. It's a tough but straightforward layout that is still playable for a range of skill levels. Since opening in 1963, Papago has hosted numerous events including the U.S. Amateur Public Links Championship and Phoenix Open Qualifying.

Papago Golf Course

Year Built 1963

Bar

• Golf Advisor: Top 25 College Courses in the U.S. (2020 #23)

Plays Long 48
Near the Airport 75

Pricey course

I liked the layout and the staff were very accommodating- fairways and greens are very nice but all the rough area is not aesthetically pleasing to the eye at all. I feel this course is way over priced and there are plenty of other courses that are nicer and cheaper.

North Dakota Advisor

Sun Devils

It was a great layout, good green speed.
The only downfall was quick pace of ball to get to the sandy areas along the holes.
I am glad we paid a great price

Great Municipal Course Experience

Thoroughly enjoyed playing Papago for the first time. Straightforward layout with firm and fast greens. Devilish pin positions the day we played (staff explained there is a Monday skins game and the grounds crew likes to make it challenging). As an out-of-town visitor the greens fees were a bit pricey, however glad we bit the bullet. It’s apparent the ASU presence onsite has resulted in great upgrades to the property. Desert scenery and weather were nice in January.

SLOW SLOW SLOW

This was the slowest round of my life. Close to 6 hours.

Brutally tough

7 handicap and shot an 87. Course was in great condition. The greens were fast and true. I’ll be the first to admit I played the wrong tees. Should have played the whites because the course just destroyed me from the blue tees. Very long approach shots into very well protected greens made for a frustrating day. The over seeded areas were in nice shape but everything else is rock hard so anything that strays just a little is a goner. The par 3s were just stupid long. I hit 3 hybrids an 2 of them, a 3 wood and then a driver. A long par 3 or two is ok. All 4? Lacks imagination and just isn’t a lot of fun. I probably wont play again since there are so many other options in the area for pretty comparable prices.

Rude staff ruined a nice game of golf

TLDR: Course was great, most of the staff was great but the completely unrealistic expectation of pace of play ruined a day of scramble style golf.

A group of us went out to play a scramble style round on a Sunday morning. The course was great, staff at check in were awesome.

We arrived early for our tee time so we grabbed a drink and the bar staff at Lou’s were all fantastic.

The issues started on the first tee box. As we began teeing off (we had two tee times for 8 of us) we were rushed. Halfway through the hole we were asked to “go ahead and pick up”. At that point the next tee time hadn’t been reached and we were chipping onto the green.

The person who was I charge of keeping the pace of play drove next to us until the 6th hole. I’m very used to someone checking in and making sure you are not spending too much time at a tee box or on a single shot. This was NOT that. We were being babysat.

I played competively in High School and college, have played tons of courses in the 10 years since and have never had someone be so rude and inconsiderate. By hole 5 we were all so irritated by this man lurking over our shoulder, harassing and telling us “that was a great shot the rest of you shouldn’t even hit, just play from there” that we decided we would skip the ENTIRE 6th hole after a single person out of 4 tee’d off and he suggested that we should “just drop a ball and chip on” because we were so far behind. The smart cart we were on specifically noted we were “1 minute behind pace.”

The worst part about this is that we were being encouraged to hit into players in front of us and the group behind us was, on average, half a hole behind us the entire time, they never had to wait at a tee box for us. There was ABSOLUTELY no reason a staff member should have been following us that closely or suggesting that we just don’t play golf, when we paid in full to play and we’re not an impediment. There was NO WAY anyone could have played at an Acceptable pace unless they qualified for a pro tournament.

Pace of play is great but at what cost?

The issues started on the first tee box. As we began teeing off (we had two tee times for 8 of us) we were rushed. Halfway through the hole we were asked to “go ahead and pick up”. At that point the next tee time hadn’t been reached and we were chipping into the green.

The worst part about this is that we were being encouraged to hit into players in front of us and the group behind us was, on average, half a hole behind us the entire time they never had to wait at a tee box for us. There was ABSOLUTELY no reason a staff member should have been following us that closely or suggesting that we just don’t play golf, when we paid in full to play and we’re not an impediment. There was NO WAY anyone could have played at an Acceptable pace unless they qualified for a pro tournament.

Papago GC

I very much enjoyed Papago and it’s challenging greens. Fastest greens I’ve played in Phoenix area.

Poor Course Condition

The fairways and greens were in decent shape but the sides of the fairways were all dirt and hardpan. Other than the fairways and greens, everything is totally dried out. Very surprising.

Course gets better every time I play there. Excellent staff, carts with GPS and course conditions. Need drinking water at the tee boxes though was hot out there.

Great layout

Fun layout. The course lays out in front of you and requires a variety of shots. No tricks. Unfortunately conditions are not yet up to the quality the layout deserves. Definitely will play again.

...Not For Beginners

My only gripe is that, unfortunately, this course's pace of play is too fast for beginners. A shame because it's a beautiful course and provides adequate challenges for novice & experienced golfers alike. The course is very well maintained. Fast greens! I would have loved to go back, but as a beginner, it is not worth spending $80 per round on a course that feels rushed at all times.

Phoenix, Arizona