Type Public/Resort
Style Desert

Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw designed We-Ka-Po Golf Club's Saguaro Course, open since the end of 2006. They integrated aspects uncommon to the region, building a walkable golf course with traditional elements: The greens are closer to the tees, and the course fits the landscape.

In addition to designing the Sagurao Course at the We-Ko-Pa Golf Club, Coore and Crenshaw have laid out Bandon Trails in Bandon, Oregon, Sand Hills in Mullen, Ne., Friar's Head in Baiting Hollow, N.Y., and the Golf Club at Cuscowilla in Eatonton, Ga. Saguaro has garnered several honors in its short life: Golfweek currently calls it Arizona's No. 1 public-access course, and Golf Magazine called it one of the country's "Top 10 Best New Courses You Can Play" in 2007.

After a round on the Saguaro Course at the We-Ko-Pa Golf Club, head to the We-Ko-Pa Grill for cocktails and the view, maybe a salad or sandwich if you've worked up an appetite.

Year Built 2006
Greens TiffDwarf Grass
Architect Bill Coore (2006) Ben Crenshaw (2006)

Dress code Collared shirt required

Clubhouse, Conference Facilities, Banquet Facilities

Great course!

Played Saguaro yesterday and it was in great shape for hot summers in AZ. The course and staff are all top notch! We Ko Pa is no doubt one of the best places you can play in all of Arizona!

A must play course BUT

If you're in Scottsdale on a golf trip, We Ko Pa is a must play due to the views alone. Layout is also great and the courses were in great shape considering it was in the middle of heat wave (115 degrees). Amenities and staff were also top notch.

But one thing really really annoyed me...I take my golf and my USGA handicap pretty seriously and I play the tee box that I think matches my ability and length off the tee. If I'm playing the whites, I want to play the whites. At We Ko Pa however, about half the white tees were actually placed on the green tee boxes thus shortening the yardage I played by several hundred yards (No white tees were placed back to compensate for this). I feel like the people in charge must think we're not intelligent enough to figure this out - and I'm sure they do it to speed up play. But don't insult my intelligence please, put the tees where they belong just like every other course I have played in the Scottsdale area. Rant over - I would still go back but next time I'll just play from the white tee box instead of the tee box where the white tee is sitting.

Solid

Both courses are about the same layout. Fun design, some topography changes - good desert golf. Great place to play 36 in one day. Greens are just so-so - pretty slow, They look good, but putt slow. Fairways are perfect. A good day of golf, but nothing special.

Poor scheduling

Asked for a tee time for 3 golfers for 4 Jan. Showed up to golf to find the staff had us on the 3rd. Staff tapped dance. Wii not go there again.

Worse course played of golf trip

Course condition was not good. 105 degrees and no water on the course. Every other course we played this week provide bottle water every couple holes.

Saguaro Must Play

Was in the east valley for a 4 day trip..played Saguaro, Eagle Mountain, Verde River and Mcdowell Mtn...Saguaro was easily the best of the 4. Course was in great shape, greens rolled great, fairways and tee boxes were good...zero complaints with course condition. Nice range,short game area and putting green with unlimited balls included in your green fee, In summary if you play here you will not be disappointed.

AMAZING

This course is such a great track! The conditions are always amazing out here and the course features some great views of the area. I would highly recommending playing!

California Advisor

Fun Track

I think this track might be a little over rated, but worth the play none the less. Conditions were very good from tee to green, although I thought the greens were a little on the slow side, but that's more personal preference than anything. There are no water hazards on the course and the fairways tend in general to be wide. I do like the way the course blends into the native terrain and nothing is tricked or gimmicked up, just pure golf. I was told this track is the longer, but little easier of the 2 courses here. The Cholla is more target golf with forced carries that don't exist on the Saguaro course. The only knock I have was the service at the restaurant. We couldn't get any one to serve us, so we left. But all in all a fun track and would play again.

Great Place to Play

Golf course is in excellent shape and play time was excellent. Tough but fair course with plenty of challenges.

Overrated

How does this course make top 10 lists? The condition of the course was poor. It was as if the fairways had not been cut in 2 weeks - they were overgrown and uneven in length. The fairways were so deep, I felt I was being penalized by being in the fairway - better to be in the rough where the grass was cut lower than the fairway, The greens were also bad - generally too shaggy, unevenly cut like the fairways. The ball did not roll true due to all the bumps and uncut grass. I kept wondering, do the groundkeepers not have access to any cutting equipment? The sand traps were also pretty bad - inconsistent sand with lots of pebbles. This is basically just a mediocre muni course, condition-wise. It is very scenic, however. Save your money - there are many better courses in the area that are cheaper.

Overrated

Not sure what the fuss was all about. Course condition was average. Front 9 went fast and took at least 2 1/2 on the back. I think there was a buddies trip or bachelor party slowing down the pace. Plenty of other places in Scottsdale to play before here.

A course with a great view

Desert course, great practice facilities, excellant condition, a must play when in Scottsdale area.

Amazing time for a group of 24

Played at the Saguaro course for my bachelor party and it was one of the highlights of our trip. We 24 golfers at our outing and It was a perfect day with the temp getting up to 105 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. The course conditions/layout were fantastic and the greens were also great, rolled true and weren't too fast or too slow. The course was surprisingly green and lush for this time of year, which you will see by my picture attached. If you really want to experience desert golf at its finest you need to play the Saguaro course at Wekopa. Really love that there is nothing around the course and that you're surrounded by desert. Would most definitely play here again when we comeback to the Scottsdale area.

Texas Advisor

Great summer value

This course is awesome. Considering this is the offseason for Phoenix golf this course was in solid shape with only a handful of browned out (but not dead) spots. Great layout, routing and shaping done all around this course. Would definitely play this track again next time I’m in town. This course is very architecturally sound.

Iowa Advisor

A Really Nice Course

Today was my first round of desert golf in forever, and my first round in Arizona. I played WeKoPa Saguaro in the afternoon, mid-week.

Saguaro comes very highly rated by both Golf Magazine and Golf Digest, and was recommended to me by a few locals as well. I was also intrigued because it's a Coore/Crenshaw design.

First the good: Saguaro is a great layout. There are a few really memorable holes. Probably my 2 favorite on the course are #4 (609 yd par 5 that plays shorter than that) and #15 (233 yard par 3 to a huge green). The condition of the course was good and the pace of play was acceptable.

Now the average: The staff was just okay. There wasn't a starter in the afternoon on Saguaro. It appears that the other course, Cholla, did have a starter. The staff was friendly but not over the top awesome.

Finally the bad: I was really disappointed with the condition of the bunkers. I know there's only so much you can do in Arizona in May, but I would have expected there to be more sand in them than there was.

If this course would have cost $75, I would have given it 5 stars, but at $114.65, I expect a little more than I got in terms of staff friendliness and bunker conditions. I would play it again though and I would recommend it to others.

Save your money and play elsewhere.

Fun layout but the the greens were thin and the course was in generally below average shape. Don’t play here.

A Must Play in Mesa

A very nice, forgiving course. Big fairways, but if you miss them you'll destroy your clubs try to hit off of the rocks. Windy conditions during our round. I'd like to play it again when it's not quite as windy. My group enjoyed ourselves. We'll be back.

Wisconsin Advisor

Cholla was good, Saguro even better

We play Cholla in the morning and came away impressed and then played Saguro in the afternoon and was even more impressed. Fun golf course to play with your friends. I don't know how they did it but the views from Saguro are totally different than Cholla and it actually seems like you're on a different property. Saguro is designed where you have a great view of your surroundings on almost every hole. There are plenty of short par 4's that put a scoring wedge in your hand balanced by some longer par 4's and some great risk reward par 5's. Awesome conditions for peak season in AZ. You still pay too much for it but for me, this course was worth it. I would and will return any time I can.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Scottsdale, Arizona
Rio Verde, Arizona
PHOENIX/SCOTTSDALE | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at Four Seasons - Scottsdale and 3 rounds of golf at Troon North Golf Club, Boulders Golf Club and Quintero Golf Club.
$69,750 (USD)
SCOTTSDALE, AZ | This exclusive golf experience includes a 3 nights's stay at Four Seasons Troon North, 2 rounds of golf at Troon North Golf Club and a day with Colin Montgomerie.
PHOENIX/SCOTTSDALE | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at Westin Kierland Resort & Spa and 6 rounds of golf at Troon North Golf Club, Whirlwind Golf Club, and Westin Kierland.
PHOENIX/SCOTTSDALE | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at Westin Kierland Resort & Spa and 3 rounds of golf at Troon North Golf Club, Westin Kierland Golf Club, & Boulders Golf Club.
PHOENIX/SCOTTSDALE | Enjoy 4 nights' accommodations at a Private Condo or House Rental and 4 rounds of golf at Troon North Golf Club, Eagle Mountain Golf Club, McDowell Mountain Golf Club & Boulders Golf Club.