Style Desert

SunRidge Canyon Golf Club provides adventure amid natural terrain over 6,823 yards of par-71 golf. The golf course was laid out by the golf course architect Keith Foster, who hid the golf course in the ridges and canyons of the foothills of the McDowell Mountains, one of the last untouched bastions of the Southwestern United States.

The SunRidge Canyon Golf Club's signature hole is the 17th, and it is unique, giving golfers the option of shooting a 209-yard, par 3 over a box canyon today and then going for a 152-yard par 3 from an elevated tee tomorrow. Foster discovered the elevated-tee opportunity during a tour of the golf course while it was being constructed and added the Canyon set of tees right then. The vistas he knew golfers would get were enough to convince Foster to set up the second set of tees.

After a round of golf at the SunRidge Canyon Golf Club, head back to the Ridge Room, which attracts visitors and locals for the great view and Southwestern cuisine.

SunRidge Canyon Golf Club

Year Built 1995
Greens Champion ultradwarf Bermudagrass
Architect Keith Foster (1995)

Pull-carts No

Dress code Collared shirt required, no denim

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 32

First time at the course

Great layout. Some really great holes. Greens need some work.

Very nice course really one of my favorites unfortunately greens were crazy fast and bunkers weren’t in good shape but otherwise course pace of play really nice layout most holes and views different definitely worth it

Great layout, but

Great layout. Really good holes. Greens aren’t true. Not overseeded and they’re painted green. GPS in carts helps a lot.

Not in the winter

Fairways were in good shape but they don't overseed the rough or greens so you're putting on the dead summer bermuda that they spray paint blue in the winter. Will wait until summer to go back. Clubhouse & restaurant are excellent.

This course is a fantastic layout but is in such poor shape I will never play it again. The greens were like concrete and painted green! Absolutely no grass on them. It was like trying to putt on dirty linoleum. The fairways overseed was poor and not much grass and the rough was dead beyond recognition. Just a shame they won't put any money back in this course to keep it in shape. Used to be one of my favorites and in awesome shape. Totally mismanaged, I will never play there again.

Great setting

Sunridge canyon is an interesting course in a great setting. The views are phenomenal. The holes are varied, with different challenges on every one. Greens were lightning fast.

Fast Greens

Great views and good greens. Fast and undulating but old cups. Par 3’s are amazing. Overall a great experience. Weather was perfect.

Lightening Greens

Oh we had such a fun day. The greens were SO fast. My husband and I played the course a few times 20 years ago and loved it them. We brought our grown boys to play over Christmas holidays and they fell in love with it. I was nice to to see the course is still great. The staff was friendly. We stayed for dinner after our round and food was great and setting was relaxing.

Greens were fast, difficult to being almost unfair. There were circular steel plates on all the greens - maybe permanent hole locations. Have never seen that anywhere. The group in front was slow and way behind - no Marshall.

Great track

Staff were great on arrival. We were asked is we wanted to wait for the tee time after our scheduled tee time so we could play as a twosome ball foursome. Saved us 30-40 minutes on our round. Fairways were well conditioned. Greens rolled fast and true. Starter tries to steer us to white tees and we settled on the hybrid gold/white. Whites would have been too easy abs even with the hybrids tees we should have stuck to all gold. Played a www bit short (we are 11 abs 13 handicap). Would definitely return.

Unique and Challenging

We absolutely love this course. So much fun, incredibly scenic, challenging and well thought out. The staff was helpful and friendly, the Wicked6 restaurant is exceptional, and there are few better places to sit and have a drink fir happy hour after an afternoon round of golf. I donated a lot of balls, but cannot wait to come back and play it again.

Enjoyed the Wicked 6

It is a challenging layout...which will leave You guessing on which club to hit off the tee on several holes the first time you play it. Will definitely be back to play this course again!!

Pros: Staff friendly

Cons: Golf course website states:

“ At no time during the year is Sunridge Canyon Golf Club cart path only - weather permitting.”

After reading this I booked, showed up and was told by starter “ cart path only”. Mentioned to starter what website reads and he said he’s never read that before.

I know most courses are cart path only after overseed but why state that on your website at all if it just isn’t true? Obviously to get more golfers out.

Not only that but course still unplayable after reopening from overseed. Tee box grass long, rough long and unplayable and a lot of maintenance and machinery still out on course.

I still take full responsibility. Will be sure to call ahead next time to ask appropriate questions before booking and driving out from Phoenix. Save your $100.

Thanks

Favorite course around !

As a low handicapper this course is awesome! Challenging and rewarding , using all your clubs . Must play !!!

Excellent course, terrible customer service

So much about this course deserves a 5 star rating but the customer service was among the worst I have experienced. I had not played the course since it was renovated so I was looking forward to it and I was not disappointed. The layout is very challenging but fair and coupled with the thick rough, links style bunkers, and quick greens, it was great to play a different style course in AZ. As far as the customer service, the initial greeting from the outside employee was ok but he did seem as if he didn’t care about the job and wasn’t really interested in providing much help. The person behind to front counter in the clubhouse was just ok as well and acted as if we were interrupting whatever he had going on. The real problem was with the starter/ Marshall. He was very rude on the initial shouting of our names and to hurry us along to the first tee. Once on the first tee he was adamant on making the entire group all get Out of our carts and onto the tee box that we chose just so he could lecture us on ensuring we kept up with pace of play. He then gave us some scripted so called features of the course. His demeanor was poor and delivery was very rude. After he was finished with the lecture he made sure to again remind us about pace of play. We thought that would be the last of him, but we were wrong. On hole 6 I believe, he decided to drive up from the opposite direction despite the fact we were trying tee off and park amongst our carts. Instead of letting us finish teeing off he decided to AGAIN lay into us about pace of play and how we were behind by about 12 minutes. What he did not know about and apparently could care less about is we had let a threesome and twosome play through since we were a foursome. He just continued to lay into us and then threatened the we had just better pick it up. We finished the round in just over 4 hours. Pace of play that they advertise is 4:29. Customer service is not their strong suit or a better rating would have been given.