2.4

Heythrop Park Resort Golf Club
Powered by GolfNow.co.uk

Year Built 2009
Architect Tom MacKenzie (2009)

Golf School Academy Yes - "Heythrop Park Golf Academy"

Clubhouse, Conference Facilities, Banquet Facilities, Sauna, Locker Rooms

Very Nice Course- Needs better signage, and maintenance

We played when a lot of courses were shut due to heavy rain. We know the course could be boggy.
The first 4 holes are higher up, so no problem.
The next 2 we started hitting the mud.
A few holes on, there was no signage to next tee, we got stuck down a flooded pathway. There was an alternative route but no signs to it.
Half the bunkers were flooded and we lost a few balls that way, as the water was murky.
Its a long course with big walks between some greens and tees, and some steep hills and rough pathways.

BUT- we all enjoyed the varied layout. A stunning setting. If the course was further south east you'd pay double the green fee.
We would like to return in Spring when the course has dried out a bit.

Amazed it was playable!!!

Having booked this round before we had almost 24 hours of very heavy rain I wasn’t sure the course would even be open. Not only was it open it was a joy to play. There were a couple of fairways that you had to take relief from standing water but overall it was in very good condition. Well done Heythrop!!!

Course is good as always.

As always the course didn't dissapoint. Obviously a little wet in places and the greens were a little slow. But they ran true, it is winter golf after all. The management is a shambles... turned up and they had no idea I'd ever booked a tee time. Said we can wait 30 minutes until after our tee time or go off the 10th. I asked if it would 100% be clear for us to go off thr first after playing the back 9. I was told it would definitely be clear and we could get off no problem. As you can probably guess we got round thr back 9 and then had to wait another half an hour to tee off the first. The pace of play on the front 9 was horrific. At times there were 4 groups on one hole. Took 2 and a half hours to play the front 9. Waited on every shot. If they didn't double book everything and cram in WAY more players than they can cope it would be so much better. It's a shame because the course is great, it's just the managing of tee times that lets it down. They just want to make as much money as possible so they're not bothered about double booking times. Having read the the reviews I know I'm not the first to experience this at Heythrop Park. Get a proper booking system and aim to make the customers experience as good as possible and it would be a perfect day out!

Excellent Value

Great day of golf, first time playing the course and really enjoyed it!
Will definitely return in the summer months.
Check in area could definitely handle a coffee machine, but everything else was spot on!

Should not be open

Why is this course not closed. It’s nothing more than a bog. Unless you’re very steady footed I would give this a swerve as you’ll not be able to make it round. No drainage whatsoever. It has the potential to be a nice course but not unless it employs some decent management.

If you book through golf now you’ll not get the actual time you booked. And the reception staff will come out with whatever excuse they can think up for poor management. They might squeeze you in in an hour or so and it’ll be dark by the time you reach the 13th.

Oh and off-course amenities? Shut. Mid afternoon on a Friday.

Enjoyable day out

Third time playing at Heythrop and was very pleased with the conditions of the course, especially given the recent bad weather. After being concerned with the tees in the summer, clearly work had gone into improving them. The greens were excellent and the fairways had stood up to the wet weather. It is a long walk and in places the paths were very muddy, but that is a small price to pay for a very enjoyable and largely quiet afternoon out.

Potential

Could be a great course but pro shop has nothing in it, bar wasn’t serving by tap, greens were in good condition though.

Disappointed by the condition of the course

Having played here a few years ago and enjoyed we thought as we were in the area we would play here again.
Firstly when we arrived there was a problem with our booking, they had double booked, a computer issue we were told but it seems to have happened a few times if you read the reviews. We were told if we could be on the first tee in ten mins we could go out before the four ball. So we had to rush to get out clubs from the car and ready to start. Not a good start.
The course itself was not in a great conditions and seemed to need some TLC. The bunkers were full of leaves and the tee boxes were not very well tended.
I have added a couple of photos.
We were very disappointed with the course.

Ok course

We played in some of the worst conditions I have played in for a while and the corse held up well.

Greens were good and pace of play good. First 7-8 holes were good but there are some really boring holes. The distance between some holes is huge and not always clear where the next tee is. Paths aren’t great either

It’s a Cotswolds with some sharp contrasts as the greens and tee boxes were good but a few too many boring holes for me. The 18th was so dull. Feels like playing down a landing strip

Avoid Saturdays

Booked in via GolfNow 9 days in advance only to find out on arrival that the course had double booked. Telling us we could tee off at 2:30 for a 4ball. Not impressed, no fault to the staff on duty but the course was over booked, especially in these uncertain Covid times..very busy resulting in a 5 hour 30min round...that said a great course but won’t ever book on a Saturday again as it seems that getting as many players on the course as possible is paramount

Hilly with poor greens

The course is impressive but the course was too hilly for my party. Some of the greens were 50% sand! And the walks between tees were too long and testing. Not good for an 18 handicapper in mid fifties!

Really enjoyable

Enjoyed playing this course immensely. Greens and tees looked really used and bare but played perfectly. Distance between holes was sometimes disconcerting but thinking back at the end of the round actually added to the experience, but you will need a buggy. Playing a round without a buggy would be exhausting! Would definitely play again.

Lots of the holes are wow factor specially 5-6

Great course needs work on greens and tees there is a lot of walking between green and the next tee.

Anonymous

Brother in law trip

After looking up the course and being recommended , I couldn’t wait to play. It didn’t disappoint and was better than the videos I watched. On the other hand it is looking a bit tied and needs a bit of TLC , SOME OF THE WALKS BETWEEN HOLE ARE A KILLER but all you need to do is book a buggy. This course will test all your golf shots and fitness. I will go back one day, had a fantastic time but no one goes out on the course to speed people up so just take your time and enjoy the view.
The staff and hotel was fantastic in this pandemic, so felt safe and had a great trip.
Thanks R Smith

Great course that could be in better condition

Love the layout, the tee boxes looked over used and the greens looked rough but rolled ok. Round took 5 hours as we were stuck behind four groups of four. It is a long walk but even still that round time is excessive to me

Snails pace golf

We liked the layout and the greens were pretty good' tee's were in a bad state.
Biggest problem was playing 18 first holes' just ridiculously slow....5 hours for a 3 ball.
Once you've paid and you're on the course it seems they don't care if you enjoy your visit' and i'm not just talking about this course' all it takes is a marshal to sort out the ( lets be kind) none serious golfers or amblers.

Definitely a Challenge, but not always in the best way

There are some very beautiful holes on this course, and the views from the peaks are phenomenal.

There are some very challenging holes spaced with some less challenging but long playing ones to keep the pace moving well.

However, the tee boxes and greens for most of the holes were not kept in a condition I would expect for a tour course (having played two other tour courses that same weekend) and the general layout and walks between the holes were the biggest challenge.

Pleasant surprise

Heard alot off bad things about heythrope park. But I often find a golfers review is usually based on how well they played. First thing is the price. £30 is a bargain. Only bad thing I could say is the tees were not in a good state. But too be honest that's it. Course is testing and as a 3 handicapper I enjoyed the challenge. Greens well designed with lots off slopes.First 4 holes ease you in and from then on the course gets better. Great design. Yes there are some long walks between holes. But golf is a long walk in itself. Look forward to going back and trying it off the back tees.

Great layout. Very interesting track! Could do with a bit of tidying up in certain areas, but understandable during covid times. Make sure you're fit if walking!

Chipping Norton, West Oxfordshire