Mountain View Golf Course At Callaway Gardens

Year Built 1963
Architect Joe Lee (1963) Dick Wilson (1963) Clyde Johnston

Worst greens I have ever played

Flew into Atlanta on business/fun trip. Had a buddy who had played it along time ago so we drove from Atlanta to the course. Putting green was in horrible shape but I had hoped it was nothing like what we would see on the course. I don’t know if the greens had a disease but it was like putting on ugly concrete. It was a shame because the course is very pretty. It was almost impossible to hit the green with an iron and for the ball to stay on the green. Paid $70 for the round and felt cheated. Would come back and play again if I knew their greens improved.

Bar is pricey

If the beverage prices were a little more reasonable, then it would have been the perfect golf facility

Good Course but Tough Conditions

I've played this course before and it was in great shape. It was obvious that the area had a very bad winter, Very little grass on the fairways and greens. Hopefully when the weather warms up the conditions will improve.

Callaway gardens mountain course

A very fun/scene course. Course in good condition but not as great as it was in past years

Commented on 11/27/2017

Thank you for your visit. We'll share your concerns regarding lessening conditions, which come as surprise as most guest feel that conditions are better. We do appreciate your input and we hope that you'll return soon for golf or any other great reason to visit.

I have played this course many times and the greens were as good as I seen. I love playing this course.

Commented on 10/30/2017

We greatly appreciate your patronage and your taking the time to share your enjoyment of playing at Callaway Gardens. We look forward to your future visits.

Always a pleasure to play

We venture to Callaway Gardens for a fall weekend every year. The course was in great shape this week, the greens were speedy and in great shape. We played mountain view and the resident turkeys were out and about as usual. Mountainview is challenging but not over the top, packed pretty tight for a Sunday afternoon and a bit of wait time between holes but still a pleasure to play. Never disappointed here.

Commented on 10/30/2017

It can't get much better than that when it comes to reviews or testimonials. We appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts. And, we look forward to your future visits for years to come.

Commented on 10/30/2017

Thank you for taking the time to share thoughts regarding your playing golf at Callaway Gardens. We hope you can play again soon.

Commented on 10/30/2017

Thank you for your patronage and your review. We hope you'll come play again soon.

The course is in great condition

We played early afternoon when the heat index was 106 so we had the course to ourselves. The course is in very good condition, the tall Bermuda ruff made you keep the ball in the fairway and the greens are perfect. Staff was very friendly

Commented on 08/07/2017

It sounds like you had a great time and the course to yourself. We hope you are able to come out and play again soon, perhaps when its a little cooler. Thank you for your post.

Nice course but needs more water coolers in July

This was a really nice course but we played it in July. Even starting at 8am the temperature became unbearable after the turn. There were no water coolers on the course and the cart girl was nowhere to be found. The cart had a cooler but I didn't think I would need to use it, because surely there would be water at every other hole at such a nice course in July. There wasn't! I finished with a massive headache and minor nausea. Unrelated, the pimento cheese sandwich was delicious, but don't get two like me thinking it won't be enough. They're huge!

Commented on 08/07/2017

Thank you for your post and your constructive feedback. For future visits, please know the cart begins at 9 a.m. and was out on July 2nd. We aren't sure why your paths didn't cross. Also, when you make the turn, not only is water available inside the Pro Shop, Champions has a walk-up window open on weekends to make it a quick stop. We definitely agree that there needs to be water available on the hot, humid days of Summer in the South. We hope you will play again soon.

Commented on 07/27/2017

Thank you for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed playing golf at Callaway Gardens. We hope to see you again soon.

Amazing Georgia Golf Gem

This is one of the most beautiful GA golf courses around. It's amazing tees, fairways, and greens superb. You have to go!

Commented on 06/09/2017

Thank you for your playing Callaway Gardens' Mountain View course and your kind words. We appreciate them very much and we hope you are able to play at Callaway Gardens again soon.

Commented on 06/09/2017

Thank you for your post. We apologize that you didn't feel the value was there. We do hope that you will try us again in the future.

Commented on 06/09/2017

We are glad to hear your round was 5-star worthy. We hope you can return and play again soon.

Commented on 06/09/2017

Thank you for your great review. We are glad you were able to play and hope that you will return soon.

Well Worth The Drive!

This classic Dick Wilson design was a joy to play. There are virtually no homes on the course,; just the beautiful forest, lakes and challenging but fair holes to view.

The greens were firm and fast,, rolled well and had little grain to them. Take about a half a club more into most greens because most of them are raised with beautifully-tongued bunkers surrounding them as well. There are a couple of par 5's that I would like to go back and play again (6 & 11) where you have to be careful to avoid the water that is not in full view.

I can see why they played the Buick Open here! You know its a great course when you can still remember all the holes days after playing them.

Commented on 04/17/2017

What a great compliment. Thank you for taking the time to come play and to post about your experience. We hope you are able to come play a round again soon, or try the Lake View Course.

Commented on 04/17/2017

Thank you for your post and review. We hope you are able to visit and play again soon, or try the other course - the Lake View Course.

Birmingham Advisor

Key to scoring here lies in approach shots, navigating sly greens

The Mountain View Course hosted the PGA Tour's Buick Challenge for 12 years between 1991-2002, and you will see very early in the round that the bones of a Tour-caliber course are still present. Front and center are the greens. The Champion Bermuda putting services are firm and fast. Most approach shots required a few yards of release. I didn't find them particularly grainy, but as the weather continues to warm, that could change as they become a bit denser. The slope in these greens are very subtle, but pins can be put on downslopes and the rollout can make you look silly if you aren't careful. The best example of this was the par-3 17th hole. Though only requiring a 125-yard shot, the green is pitched from back to front, rather severely in the first third. I hit my tee shot about a yard higher than pin-high right, about 15 feet away. I knew the putt was going to swing violently from right to left, but it was hard to match the line with the speed. I'm not sure it could be done! I barely breathed on my putt and it missed low and rolled 15 feet to the front of the green. Bogey City. After holing out, I went back and tried the putt again. This time I missed on the high side but achieved the same result. A third try, hit softly uphill away from the hole, stopped four feet above the hole. I hit a good shot, but did not have enough course knowledge to scrape out a par, and I have no problem with that. My tip? If that pin is in the front third of that green, play short of the green and putt or chip up the slope. The other Tour feature is the large, deep bunkers that burnish grass tongues. The sand quality was excellent. The fairways were wide, even though the fairways are all tree-lined. It is hard to get in trouble off the tee here. Though this was the first day of Spring, the fairways are emerging from dormancy and were a bit thin, but I still found them to be very playable. I imagine that much of this course's defense off the tee lies in the thick Bermuda rough that I suspect can get pretty lush in the heat of Summer. That said, this is a second-shot golf course. Though most greens were of average size, some of them were small - notably the par-5 11th's - and accuracy and distance control is at a premium. Knowing where to land the ball for roll out and where the treacherous slopes are that can carry approaches into collection areas off greens can be tough for a first-timer. I particularly liked the par 3s, especially No. 3. It is among the most fun shots on the course. After the opening hole eases you in, you begin a fabulous stretch with the uphill par-5 second, the aforementioned par-3 third and the short, dogleg-left fourth. The fifth hole is a bit pedestrian but don't sleep on the approach. Miss long or left and you can make a big number. The signature par-5 sixth is next and is beautiful. Another tip: Be aware of how far you are to the hazard in front of the sixth green on your second shot. A blind 3-wood could find it. It is best to favor the left side of the fairway on the second shot, as everything flows down and to the right. My criticism with this track lies merely in the two holes that close the front side. They are rather bland and straight-forward with massive fairways. In conclusion, this is an excellent value on a historic course. Navigating the approach shots and the tricky greens make this course worth playing.

Commented on 04/17/2017

Thank you for your visit and very thoughtful review. We hope you are able to visit again soon, or try the Lake View course.

Commented on 03/06/2017

Thank you for your visit. We are glad to hear that it was a satisfactory visit. We hope you will return and have a 5 star experience.

Pine Mountain, Georgia