Formerly known as Meadow Lake Golf Club.

Boulder Oaks Golf Club

Year Built 1965

Pull-carts No

Bar, Snacks, Grill

• Golf Advisor: Top 25 Most Improved U.S. Golf Courses (2016 #6)

Probably one of the roughest courses I’ve played

I shot a good game but had some major concerns about this course. The greens were very rough. I lost a pro v1 after a solid drive into THE FAIRWAY. The tall clover made it impossible to find my ball. The greens were full of divots and small weeds which made putting very erratic. The golf carts had torn seats and the group in front of us had theirs die on them on the 12th hole. The 16th hole is under construction which wasn’t disclosed prior to the round, I’ve played at 5 star courses in Mexico that will disclose and discount you before the round of something is being done to the course. Overall not a great experience.

Enjoyable round. Don’t expect country club conditions.

Boulder is not in my normal rotation but we wanted to get a round in before the rain storm. We were greeted by the cart guy who gave us a cart to go check in. This is great because it’s a little walk between the cart barn and the pro shop. The couple in the pro shop were very pleasant. Checked us in with no issues. Yes the carts are old but they still serve the purpose. The course is in fair condition for the price. It was as good as RedHawk or better for half the price. That said, there are some rough spots but you can improve you lie without cheating. Greens are in great shape. Enjoyed the round and will play again. No, it’s not a country club! But it’s playable. I seen worst. Keeping a golf course open is extremely expensive. Happy the rates are still reasonable.

Horrible pro shop personnel!! Received an awful treatment this morning.

I booked this course for this morning at 6:16 AM through GolfNow. I arrived at the course at 6 AM, and went up to the pro shop by 6:10 AM. It was still dark, so I wasn't too surprised that it was not open yet. By my tee time at 6:16 AM no one came to open the pro shop even though it was getting lighter. At around 6:20 I saw a person in the shop, and he saw me waiting outside. It was misty outside, and I thought he would open the door and let me in. But, it wasn't the case. He proceeded to prep the office, turning the computer on, and etc. Then he prepared the bar. Then he organized the register. Meanwhile, I'm outside in the mist, and it's way past the tee time I reserved. At 6:30-ish, he finally let me in. He offered no apologies, not even an excuse for being late. As he was ringing me up, I told him that perhaps he should check with GolfNow because the tee times are available from 6 AM on the site. And I told him that my tee time was at 6:16 AM. His reply was, "you want to play in the dark?". So I replied that they shouldn't list the tee times before they opened. His response? "the Vinyards GC has tee times at 5 AM". How was that even relevant to what we were discussing? I was disappointed by this course once before and I thought I would give it another try since it's fairly close to where I live, but never again....

Watch Out

. I had a negative experience and need some sort of resolution. I arrived at the golf course approximately 1 hour prior to my 11:52 am Tee Time. The parking lot is near the Tee Box, carts and starter. The Pro Shop is a long walk. Generally you check in with the starter, sign for the cart and then you get a cart to drive over to the pro shop. I did all of that. When I got to the Pro Shop and tried to check in and pay the cart fee, the person (I was later told he is the owner of the course) started yelling at me that there were not enough carts and I should come back 10 minutes prior to my Tee Time. I told him the starter let me sign for the cart, the starter said there were plenty of carts, and open Tee Times. The owner called the starter on his walkie-talkie to verify my story, which the starter did. The owner then yelled at the starter and then me some more. I said that I would not walk back and forth more times and if he wanted to yell at someone, yell at the starter for giving me the cart. I was so agitated at that point. Anyway, the owner walked out from behind the counter, went outside and drove my cart to the starter to yell at him, then at me after I walked back to the starter. ended up riding with someone in their cart, as I told the starter that I wasn't going back up to the Pro Shop for obvious reasons. I should never have been treated that way. You need to contact the owner and have a talk about etiquette and politeness towards customers. As for me? I don't know. I've was pretty upset throughout the round.

Not Worth the Money or Extra Time

In this post-covid world for some reason Golf courses have found it necessary to overcharge for everything. Boulder Oaks is no different. I would stay away from the Hot Deals for this course. Not Worth it. They will charge you $25 on top of your green fee for a cart. The carts are 25 years old, calling apart, have no brakes, and no gps.

The greens are decent, the fairways a hodgepodge of different types of grass and weeds and there is no marshall so the pace of play is horrible.

Don’t do it!

To start, the cart barn and pro shop are about 200 yards apart. The starter could have easily allowed us to jump in a cart to go check in but didn’t, and instead had us walk round trip. The carts are in terrible shape, most of them heavily tapped up with torn seats and loose parts. It could have been the result of a morning tournament, but by 8:30 they were already running 25-30 minutes behind. The guy in the pro shop could have told us to not expect cart beverage service on the course, but no such luck. The greens were in decent shape which is really the only positive to this round. We passed five broken down and deserted carts throughout the round. We called the pro shop on 15 tee box to let them know our cart also ran out of battery. The gentleman told us someone was on the way; however, no one ever showed up and we were essentially left thinking someone would come any time. It wouldn’t have taken much to make this round worth $55. Unfortunately this course is being poorly managed and maintained and I could never recommend playing it for more than $40

Friday Fun

Played at 10:15 am. On a Friday. Pace was excellent. Greens rolling nice. Great layout. Lots of target golf challenges a golfer.

POOR REC

Other golf plans for this day fell through, so I followed someone's recommendation to play nearby at Boulder Oaks for the first time. I should have looked at the scorecard before booking my reservation. The course is bizarre. The front nine is loaded with par 3s and totals to par 32. The back nine begins with three consecutive par 5s and totals par 38. It hasn't rained in months, yet the tee boxes, greens, and approach corridors were completely saturated. Many pin placements were on the edge of ridges or crowns and the greens were slick. It was a multiple shot penalty and almost impossible to keep the ball on some greens if you were above the hole. Multiple tee shots were completely blind, many of the holes were convoluted and squeezed into narrow plots on the property. There are some interesting perspectives, some challenging shots. But it feels like the holes are out of order and the routing should be given a mulligan.

Boulder Oaks

Nice greens, views, and pace of play.
Greens were good
Carts are sad
Only real problem was lack of distance info. I can’t pull up that info on my watch - every other course nearby synchs up with my watch. Some fairway distances haven’t been changed since Meadow Lake days.

Worst staff and worst course in San Diego

Good lord where do I begin ? Starters letting groups of 6 play together in front of 2somes , course in terrible condition , staff doesn’t care at all when you voice your concerns. course has gone downhill super fast. I wouldn’t recommend this place to anybody and will never come back.

4.6519176471
Lake San Marcos, California
Semi-Private/Resort
San Marcos, California
Escondido, California
SAN DIEGO, CA | Enjoy 2 nights' accommodations at Courtyard San Diego Oceanside and 2 rounds of golf at The Grand Golf Club & Omni LaCosta Resort & Spa.
SAN DIEGO, CA | Enjoy 2 nights' accommodations at Park Hyatt Aviara Resort, Golf Club & Spa and 2 rounds of golf at Aviara Golf Club.
ORANGE COUNTY, CA | Enjoy 2 nights' accommodations at Monarch Beach Resort and play 2 rounds of golf at Monarch Beach Golf Links.
ORANGE COUNTY, CA | Enjoy 2 nights’ accommodations at The Resort at Pelican Hill Newport Beach and 2 rounds of golf at Pelican Hill Golf Club - Ocean North & Ocean South Courses.
PALM SPRINGS, CA | Enjoy 4 nights' accommodations at La Quinta Resort & Club and 4 rounds of golf at Stadium and Nicklaus Tournament Courses at PGA WEST, and Indian Wells Celebrity Course and Players Courses.