Gold Course at The Golden Horseshoe

Year Built 1963
Architect Robert Trent Jones, Sr. (1963) Rees Jones (1998) Greg Muirhead (1998) Rees Jones (2016) Greg Muirhead (2016)

Caddies Yes

Clubhouse, Banquet Facilities, Spa

Tennis

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 7

Amazing facility , right in the heart of Williamsburg

Beautiful course , friendly and professional staff .
Not for duffers , they are serious about pace of play , to our delight :)
Course has many beautiful holes, our favorite of course was 16 .
Choose your level of challenge , there are plenty but make sure you choose one you will enjoy .

Must play

The tee boxes were manicured. The fairways were lush and the rough was uniformed in length and semi high. The way the course was designed, each hole with tall pines of similar heights combined with the distinct green shade difference of the rough and fairway add to that, the bright sand of the bunkers. No wonder this course gets compared to Augusta. The only difference I can tell between this and Augusta was that instead of the mulch they use around the trees, Golden horseshoe uses pine needles. Greens were fast but not so steeply undulated. The layout was challenging but it was very fair. Its not everyday I pay over a hundred for a round of golf but this place was surely worth the price. I was paired up with a pleasant couple who made my experience more enjoyable. The pace was slow but that's to be expected since the place was packed because it was a perfect weather Sunday. The staff also let me have my wife ride a long for free. The pro shop was surprisingly sparse. I would have liked to buy more souvenirs to help reminisce about how great a course this was. Overall a must play if you are in the colonial Williamsburg area.

Golf Advisor

Vintage RTJ Sr. on a fabulous piece of land

The "A" word gets thrown around a little bit at Golden Horseshoe. Yes, there is a wee hint of Augusta inspiration on this gorgeous piece of rolling land with shady fairways framed by pine trees. The Gold opened about 10-12 years after RTJ worked on Augusta National and it's easy to see a the influence one had on the other, from the shapes of the bunkers to elevated greens and gorgeous, amphitheater-type par 3s green sites on low ground guarded by water.

The Gold reopens July 1st after a restoration project from RTJ Sr.'s son Rees Jones and I had the chance top review the course, which is in mint shape with brand new turf wall-to-wall. There are really only a few design tweaks here, like a new approach into 18. Nine new forward tees were added. The clubhouse was renovated and practice area was expanded.

This round was one of my more enjoyable golf experiences I've had in a long while thanks to great hole variety and plenty of drama in a wonderful family destination in Colonial Williamsburg.

WLS
Good weather

A great test of skill

The Golden Horseshoe is one of my favorite courses on the East Coast! I have played some top 10 Private courses and this facility is in my personal top 10! The hospitality starts once you drive up and continues throughout your day, while you are there be sure to check out the sister course and the Spotswood Executive course as well!

Good weather

Amazing Par 3's

We again were lucky enough to be paired up with two members who were a plethora of knowledge of where to hit the ball especially off the tee into these tight fairways.

The 4 par 3's were breathtaking and were certainly the highlight of the round.

Play the correct tees and bring a hot putter and you can score here.

Should be on everyone's list who come to Williamsburg.

Fair weather

Disappointed

On our week long trek through Williamsburg playing 6 courses in 7 days my wife and I were really looking forward to our two stops at the Horseshoe.

Unfortunately with all the rain we were limited to cart path only on many of the holes and this was a real detriment to this hilly and undulating course.

The design is frustrating with many mounds causing your ball to not roll into play but to bounce out of play - even though you hit the fairway - or back up 10-30 yards cause you just missed the landing area.

The greens were slow and inconsistent and although the staff was friendly there was a lack of structure keeping the play moving as we had close to a 5 hour round.

Coming from Canada this course ranked 6 out of the 6 we played.

Fair weather

New Years day

Hello,
My wife and I drove away from home for a few daysduring the week of New years. We headed 5 hours south to Williamsburg Va to Kingsmill resort, this was our second trip there. I appologized to everyone for bringing the sweeping cold front with us.
3 Days of around 40 + degree golf it was around 30 at home +the wind. A friend suggested I get on at Golden Horseshoe Golf Club. I suggest you do the same. I have an old issue of Golfstyles magazine with a list of 50 Greatest Courses the Publisher & Managing Editor ever played in their opinion. This one landed # 50 and # 35 on their respective line up. So I have 2 off the list. and only 18 are likely.
Since frost was an issue Tee times were put off until about 10:00 / 10:30 or so,, no big deal, I'm off work on a mini vacation its all good. I met a fellow player who was out for a round I said to the starter I don't mind doubleing up. We actually had alot in common almost 6 degrees of separation. We were escorted out to start on # 4. I was honestly awstruck even though the mass of the area was brown/tan/fading or dead for the season. What a magnificent place to be. The greens where in good shape and they where the only green out there.
I think the most interesting thing about the course was all of the elevation changes inside the property,,,you would not think it could be possible since walking around Colonial Williamsburg is flat. Forgive the babble,, If you can,, or get a chance to play here do it. The staff is very friendly the lounge is very comfortable for a scotch and soda. I played the next day as well shot 94 & 96. Also,, this was the 1st time I ever played a 600 yard par 5 ended that 1 with a Bogey.

The best Par 3s in Golf

This course never gets boring with challenging holes. Great condition and welcoming staff.

Curse you Robert Trent Jones (just kidding)

This was a delightful round of golf and very typical of the RTJ courses that I have played. The Gold tees at 6,500 yards are deceptively long because of the elevation and forced carries and the par 71. The par 3's will keep you up at night but will be your longest memories. The routing is compact, but scenic. It is a very long course for women except for the longest hitters. Bring you A game, or a lot of balls and just enjoy the round.

great course

don't miss chance to play here, very enjoyable. great fun and beautiful.