Salado Del Rio at Fort Sam Houston Golf Course in San Antonio, Texas, USA | GolfPass

Type Military/Public

Fort Sam Houston is home to two 18-hole courses, Salado Del Rio and La Lorna. The Salado del Rio course is the more scenic of the two, offering spectacular views of the rustic countryside. The historic facility boasts some famous players including Sam Snead and Arnold Palmer. The layout is also more difficult than the other championship course at the club due to the presence of numerous blind shots and water hazards. Both Fort Sam Houstan golf courses feature tight, tree-lined fairways and greens that are medium in both size and speed. In addition to the two golf courses, Fort Sam Houston also houses extensive practice facilities including a practice chipping green and lighted driving range.

Fort Sam Houston - Salado del Rio

Year Built 1976

Pull-carts Yes - $15

• Golf Advisor: Top Military Courses in the U.S. (2021 #6)

Needs some work

The course was not in the best shape due to limited rain. The cost to play was high due to the shape of the course. I will not play here again till they fix the fairways and greens. There are other courses for the same price and in a lot better shape.

Check-in process was not smooth. No record in GC system so I had to provide proof via celll phone of GolfNow reservation. Required to show military ID. Why ..Lackland AFB not required?
Range ball machine malfunction caused delay in warm up.
You can tell grounds crew working hard to make T-box, fairway and greens improvements. Bunkers were essentially black dirt. Was informed by a "regular" that bunkers would be filled in & covered with grass to improve tempo of play. KUDOS to maintenance crew. Once their improvement plan is completed, the course should be in good shape-

Decent Round

Greens were quite “hairy “! Other than that..good time!!

Terrible Course Layout

Not impressed with this course at all! I played Salado creek side so maybe the other course was better but the layout was terrible, not well marked and sloppy. Had it not been for other players in front of me, there's some holes I would've completely missed due to the hard to find path and direction. They could improve it with better directional signs or a bigger map on the scorecard but this was a very frustrating course for me. Won't play it again...
Not to mention, the greens on some holes were dry dirt patches and in very rough condition. Just needs a lot of work...

Problems with tee time

My tee time was set for 1100am….. we arrived and were told we would have to wait an additional hour and a half

This course was in very condtion.

Just challenging enough for most" weekend golfers".
It was in very good condition. Unfortunately there no way to get water unless you brought your own cup.
I would recommend this course because it is Spring and everything is green.

Terrible Greens

The course was in very rough shape all around. The fairways were not well groomed. The greens on every hole were in awe full shape. They were scorched on about 50% making it extremely difficult to read the greens and putt. I understand that they may be under staffed but the course appeared as if it isn’t being maintained at all. After discount the round was $30 and in my opinion wasn’t even worth that much. Would not recommend anyone play here until they fix the greens.

Salado creek Ft. Sam Houston

The greens were terrible. So unpredictable and there was areas that were so rough the ball would bounce around in the way to the cup. Limited signs to direct you to the next hole. Staff was short and curt. Unfriendly towards customer.

Rude employee

Round was good but the pro shop employee was very rude and not helpful at all.

Commented on 03/04/2022

Exceptionally rude pro shop employee on a Sunday. Played here before and never had an issue but wasn't allowed to play because I didn't have military ID. Golf Now gave me a refund but the jerk at course tried to talk them out of it. Man shouldn't be in customer service.

Diseased Greens

Golf course is in horrendous condition right now. Worst I've ever seen. Crab grass and bald spots all over the greens. I get it, it's winter time...but it's also Texas. Go to Randolph AFB instead. Cheaper and way nicer. Won't be back here for a good while.

Fine experience - different coourse

The clubhouse manager switched us to LaLoma course. No problem to us. He also asked us if either of us were Veterans; when we were not, he wanted to do a background check - not mentioned on Golf Now. Since he found our that we were visiting travelers he just asked us not to play these courses again that week.. Interesting!!

Very disappointed with, and offended by staff

Without doubt, the rudest staff I ever experienced in my 50+ years of playing golf.

Upon walking into the clubhouse without a mask, I was curtly directed to leave until I put on a mask. I’m fine with staff enforcing protocol; but, after going back out to my car to get a mask and returning to the pro shop, the same staff person was checking-in a “regular” who was NOT wearing a mask.

Next, the staff person would not check me in until I gave him my GolfNow reservation number. He said the pro shop did not have my name, and I needed to provide the number. No reservation number, no round of golf. Double standards and offensive attitudes in the pro shop appear to be par for the course at the Ft. Sam Houston golf course.

I arrived early for my round so I hit a small bucket of balls and practiced in the short game area. About an hour before my tee time, I asked a course marshal if I could tee-off early. He said that since no one is on the #1 tee box, to go ahead. As I was about to address the ball, someone from the pro shop came racing down in a golf cart to tell me that because I made a reservation using GolfNow, I could NOT tee-off early and had to wait for the other GolfNow players at the designated time. So, I returned to the short game area.

About 45 minutes later, the pro shop sent the original marshal down to tell me that I could proceed to the #1 tee: by myself, and placed just behind a foursome.

I’ve played a lot of golf in my 50+ years at some great venues. Hand-in-hand with those extraordinary venues is usually extraordinary customer service. The rude and discourteous behavior by at least two people on this staff is beyond the pale. Certainly, the leadership at Ft. Sam Houston cannot be aware of this attitude at the golf facility since it reflects an utter disregard for the necessary, appropriate and proper military decorum.

Difficulty Extremely Easy

Good track

This is a fun course with interesting holes. Course is in pretty good shape. Some greens could use a little work. Overall is a good course for the price.

Lots of doglegs

Course was in good shape and many challenging holes due to the doglegs. Definitely made you choose the correct club when taking your 2nd shot of many holes. The greens were really nice and rolled really well. They were very busy, but we maintained a good pace and never backed up that day. The only negative I have was the tee boxes from the tips, some were beat up, but nothing that I could not find a good spot to hit my tee shots. The pro shop personnel were extremely friendly and items well stocked. I will definitely play here again.

The only problem was they had no record of the booking time and reservation time but the course staff made sure we got off to play.. This was my first time to book a time and want sure why they had no record of confirmation number.

Military/Public
Windcrest, Texas
Semi-private
San Antonio, Texas
SAN ANTONIO, TX | Come play where the pros play! Enjoy 3 nights’ accommodations at the JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa and 2 rounds of golf at TPC San Antonio (The Canyons & The Oaks Courses), site of the PGA Tour’s Valero Texas Open.
SAN ANTONIO, TX | Enjoy 2 nights' accommodations at La Cantera Resort & Spa and 2 rounds of golf at La Cantera Resort - Resort Course.
AUSTIN, TX | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at Horseshoe Bay Resort and 3 rounds of golf on Horseshoe Bay's Apple Rock, Ram Rock, & Slick Rock Courses.