A view of a green with water coming into play at PGA West Jack Nicklaus Tournament Course.

Type Public/Resort
PGA West Jack Nicklaus Tournament Course

Year Built 1987
Architect Jack Nicklaus (1987) Rick Jacobson Thomas Pearson (1987)

Golf School Academy Yes - "PGA WEST Golf Academy"
Practice Hole Yes

Credit Cards Accepted Visa, MC, AMEX, Discover
Dress code No denim, collared shirt and bermuda shorts required.

Fitness, Tennis

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in California (2019 #30) (2014 #24)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Off-course amenities in the U.S. (2019 #15)

Best Greens at PGA West

The Jack Nicklaus Tournament Course at PGA West has the best greens I have ever putted. Smooth and quicker than any of the other PGA West Courses with absolutely no ball marks. Some of the pin positions made putting difficult in some situations, but were generally manageable if you had good direction and distance control or followed Jack's principle of aiming for the center of the green. I had expected to find three distinct pin locations and/or green levels on every green as that was a Nicklaus trademark, but the Tournament Course greens were large and undulating and without the aforementioned level separation. The clubhouse was impressive and the pro shop was large and well stocked. Driving range was expansive with numerous targets to shoot at and a large practice bunker also. Putting green was comparable to the greens on the course - which generally is not the case at most golf courses. Fairways were generous in the landing areas on most holes and the rough was playable. Tee boxes were a bit overgrown - needed to be cut, but were in good condition including the par 3 holes. The only real issue was a lack of sand in the greenside bunkers - fortunately I managed to steer clear of them for most of my round. The course layout was varied and quite interesting. The course staff were friendly and helpful. I was paired with a member (Michael S.), who unfortunately quit after nine holes, but he was helpful in describing each hole and the challenges before us. This was by far the best course I played at PGA West (compared to the Dunes and Mountain courses). Highly recommend this track and hope to play it again the next time I visit the desert!

A challenge

It's PGA West, high standards always. Great reception from cart employees, very informative.
Tees, fairways, great shape for this time of year...the greens, oh man, hard dry and fast. With Jack's elevated greens, holding shots almost non existence, but it is what it is. Bunkers were playable with a fair amount of sand.
Pace was going well, being a foursome we did allow 3 singles to play through. Then we caught 2 foursomes and it was a standstill, the lead four were the slowest hacks I've run across, they were 3/4 holes behind, not a clue to their surroundings...Marshall ?!?
Other than that, a great layout, tough but fair, worth it...
Yes, I would return as long as I get in front of the slow play.

Commented on 10/08/2021

Thank you for your review, u314161222326. We will pass along your positive experience to our team at PGA West Jack Nicklaus Tournament Course. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Commented on 10/08/2021

Hello and thank you for your 5-star rating, u314162243412! We're delighted you enjoyed your round. Please book another round with us soon, and thanks for choosing PGA West Jack Nicklaus Tournament Course!

This is golf!

PGA West is truly magnificent! I played 3 of the courses this past week and each round was memorable. All aspects of the round were first class all the way. Check in was easy, the included practice/warmup area is expansive and in good shape, starters are friendly and knowledgeable, Marshall are not intrusive, courses are green and lush, course difficulty varies with chosen tee, course layouts are magnificent, greens are large and run fast and true, the carts look and operate as though they were new the bar/restaurant is really good. I have not played any better complex.

Commented on 10/04/2021

Hi, u314162076099. We would love to hear more about your positive experience on our course. Please contact us to share with us your favorite part of your experience. Thanks for golfing at PGA West Jack Nicklaus Tournament Course!

Nicklaus Stadium

Great track, greens are flawless. Bunkers could have used a little more sand, that’s the only possible complaint. Overall, highly recommend.

Commented on 09/28/2021

Your feedback is important to us, captainlandius. Thank you for sharing your 5-star experience. We look forward to seeing you again at the course soon! Thanks for choosing PGA West Jack Nicklaus Tournament Course.

Fine course plays longer then distance ,must carry
Lots of shots .greens were the best !it look like a brake play it straight you ll make more puts ..what I didn t like the golf assistant at the end of the round not take you to your car !

Commented on 09/28/2021

We love hearing about our golfers' experiences, qRXUmir2Ey2v6ZcSfVSo. Please tell us more about what you enjoyed during your round. Thanks for choosing PGA West Jack Nicklaus Tournament Course!

Commented on 09/28/2021

Hi, Dagoverto9436664. We would love to hear more about your positive experience on our course. Please contact us to share with us your favorite part of your experience. Thanks for golfing at PGA West Jack Nicklaus Tournament Course!

Great summer shape

It was in great summer shape and the greens were perfect firm and quick.

Commented on 09/28/2021

Hi, u000006535868. Thank you so much for the great review. We are glad you had an incredible time, and we hope to see you again soon! Thanks for choosing PGA West Jack Nicklaus Tournament Course.

All strategy

You need great short game for this course. Not a bombers course. Fastest greens I’ve ever played. Long iron or metal wood off the tee. Really hard to get up and down. I hit 71% fairways but 37 putts. 9 and 18 are classic. Definitely need to play again. BTW you’re 10 to 50 feet below sea level.

California Advisor

Nicklaus Tournament

Rode the Blues (6522/72.2/134) in slightly over 3.5 twilight on a GN Hot Deal. Played with Steve, hilarious guy to be matched up with. 112 and humid made the conditions uncomfortable. We were behind a 4some that had no intention of letting us play through. So Steve stopped, got drinks and we sat in the shade and talked until they were well ahead so we could play w/o waiting on every shot. The course was not busy.

Bermuda tees had decent coverage and were good to play from.

Bermuda fairways were semi lush and nice to play from.

Bermuda primary rough was mowed low but still thick with good coverage.

Plentiful sand traps had decent sand but were too thin.

Bermuda greens were very firm and consistent from green to green. I expected them to be so/so late in the summer. Wrong! These were some of the smoothest Bermuda greens I have ever putted on and medium fast. Very nice!

Nicklaus Tournament features mounds along the sides of fairways, large/deep bunkers, several split fairways and expansive sand waste bunkers. Raised greens where irons barely off line or short can be in collection areas where the green is well above the golfer. Very good customer service from everyone. Plenty of water stations on the course and bottled water provided. Good GPS on the carts. The cart gal was out making the rounds numerous times. Nice all grass range and a new putting green since I last played here close to Nicklaus Tournament #1 tee. Recommended.

One of the Best

Absolutely one of the best courses I’ve played…can’t wai to come back

I’ll be back!!!

From the drive up…to the drink at the 19th….just an amazing experience!!! Can’t wait to go back!!!

Commented on 09/10/2021

Hello jayk0915,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave an excellent rating! We really appreciate your business. Please let us know what we can do for you in the future to earn that last star!

Commented on 09/10/2021

Hi, jayk0915. We would love to hear more about your 4-star experience on our course. Please tell us what we can do to earn that last star, and thanks for golfing at PGA West Jack Nicklaus Tournament Course!

Request A Vacation Quote From La Quinta Resort
Please provide your information below and a staff member at La Quinta Resort will be in contact to help you start planning your travel.
La Quinta, California
PALM SPRINGS, CA | Enjoy 4 nights' accommodations at La Quinta Resort & Club and 4 rounds of golf at Stadium and Nicklaus Tournament Courses at PGA WEST, and Indian Wells Celebrity Course and Players Courses.
PALM SPRINGS, CA | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at La Quinta Resort & Club and 6 rounds of golf at Westin Mission Hills - Pete Dye Course, Mission Hills North - Gary Player Signature Course, Indian Wells Resort courses, PGA WEST Pete Dye Mountain Course, and PGA WEST Pete Dye Dunes Course
PALM SPRINGS, CA | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at Renaissance Esmeralda Resort & Spa and 2 rounds of golf at Indian Wells Golf Resort - Celebrity & Players courses.
PALM SPRINGS, CA | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at Renaissance Esmeralda Resort & Spa, and 2 rounds of golf at Indian Wells Golf Resort - Celebrity & Players Courses
PALM SPRINGS, CA | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at Westin Mission Hills and 3 rounds of golf at Westin Mission Hills - Pete Dye Course, MIssion Hills North - Gary Player Signature Course, and Indian Wells Resort.