PGA West Stadium Course #17: Welcome to “Alcatraz.” Home to Lee Trevino’s “Hole in One” – one of the most famous shots in golf history – which gave him the “Skins Game” victory over Jack Nicklaus, Gary Player and Raymond Floyd.

Type Public/Resort
PGA WEST - Pete Dye Stadium Course

Year Built 1987
Architect Pete Dye (1987) Alice Dye (1986)

Golf School Academy Yes - "PGA WEST Golf Academy"
Practice Hole Yes

Dress code No denim, collared shirt and bermuda shorts required

Fitness, Tennis

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 50

Desert golf

Played Stadium course day 1 and it was terrific. I tried to play another course the following day but golf now app would not let me confirm as it asked for CVv code from my credit card. There is no place to enter cvv code in the app. So I called golf now and they said to try to configure on a PC instead of phone. No cvv entry there either. So I booked it directly with the course. Also the app would not accept my discount code. So the app currently is pretty useless until you get this figured out. $99/year for basically nothing is not a good value. Very disappointed

Commented on 10/19/2021

Hi, u314162275052. Thank you so much for the great review. We are glad you had an incredible time, and we hope to see you again soon! Thanks for choosing The Stadium Course at PGA West.

Challenging Course!

Bring your A game to this one. Bad shots are really punished. Pro shop staff were very friendly and helpful.

Commented on 10/18/2021

Hi, Mark2689068. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing The Stadium Course at PGA West.

Commented on 10/18/2021

We're glad you enjoyed your 5-star experience with us, u000004120154. Please comment or reach out to our team in the golf shop to let us know more about your round at The Stadium Course at PGA West!

Commented on 10/08/2021

Hi, Greg8983805. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time at The Stadium Course at PGA West. We look forward to seeing you on the course soon for another 5-star experience!

Just a great time with my friend who was playing the course for the first time!!

Commented on 10/08/2021

Thank you for taking the time to review us, Dodgers205. Your feedback is valuable, and we look forward to delivering you excellent service again soon. The Stadium Course at PGA West thanks you!

The best course I've played in SoCal!

First time I've played this course and I was SO impressed. The conditions and staff were top notch but the star of the show was the absolutely amazing layout of this Pete Dye course!!! This course demands and rewards accuracy. I'm about a 12 handicap but I can be erratic off the tee. I had a fairly good day and shot an 86 from the whites. I've now played 48 courses in the Inland Empire and North San Diego County over the last 2 1/2 years. I had more fun playing this course than any other course! Truly a "MUST PLAY"!

Commented on 10/04/2021

Hi, shenley. Thank you so much for the great review. We are glad you had an incredible time, and we hope to see you again soon! Thanks for choosing The Stadium Course at PGA West.

This is golf!

Fantastic golf course - layout, conditions, greens, pace of play, price, staff. Professional all the way.

Commented on 09/28/2021

Hi, davidjohl. Thank you so much for the great review. We are glad you had an incredible time, and we hope to see you again soon! Thanks for choosing The Stadium Course at PGA West.

Commented on 09/28/2021

Hi, u000004145513. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time at The Stadium Course at PGA West. We look forward to seeing you on the course soon for another 5-star experience!

So worth it

Me and 3 of my buddies played this course for our first times ever and boy did it not disappoint! So challenging, but so much fun. We played the blue/white combo which turned out to be perfect for us. Turns out the pros play off a good amount of the blues locations. Pretty near. Can’t wait to play this course again.

Commented on 09/28/2021

Thank you for your review, Daniel3910. We will pass along your positive experience to our team at The Stadium Course at PGA West. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Less than I expected

Great layout but there were a lot of bare spots in some of the fairways. Also some of the green side bunkers could use more sand

Commented on 09/28/2021

Thank you for your review, trandalljones. We will pass along your positive experience and feedback to our team at The Stadium Course at PGA West. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

We almost always play this course when we're in PS. However, we've never played it in September. Course was in the best condition that we've ever seen. Greens were somewhat fast and very true. It was a pleasure to play this course like this. Yes, it ha its typical brown spots in some areas, but bunkers and tee boxes were perfect. Very challenging layout, so if you're not up to the test, I'd leave this course alone. Not for the feint of heart. This isn't a feel good course. Trouble everywhere, but not unfair.

Commented on 09/28/2021

Wow! We are so happy you enjoyed your round, stoneyne! We look forward to seeing you again soon at The Stadium Course at PGA West.

Must play course

This Pete Dye masterpiece is a must play course. Considering the amount of play it is in very good condition. We played in a 2 club wind making #17 a real challenge! The wind was in our face! Love this course and play it when I'm in town.

Commented on 09/22/2021

Hello and thank you for your 5-star rating, u314161175221! We're delighted you enjoyed your round. Please book another round with us soon, and thanks for choosing The Stadium Course at PGA West!

Loved playing this course. Greens too slow. Brian the starter was wonderful. Back nine more aesthetically pleasing than the front.

Sadistic

This is a great course to embarrass your friends. First two holes are deceptively easy, then Pete Dye proceeds to play with your sanity. The course is just long enough that you need driver on most holes, but when one hazard ends another begins. It’s pick your poison. Almost every hole is like a signature hole. Once I gave up on my score I could just enjoy the absurdity and the experience. The greens are pretty fast but not as bad as the Nicklaus. Def take 1 extra club on Alcatraz hole. Remember you’re below sea level. Sort of a bucket list course. Not sure if I’d play it again. Maybe a drinking round w/ buddies.

Commented on 09/21/2021

Wow! We are so happy you enjoyed your round, Mike72davis! We look forward to seeing you again soon at The Stadium Course at PGA West.

Commented on 09/10/2021

Hello and thank you for your 5-star rating, nishikawatakeo! We're delighted you enjoyed your round. Please book another round with us soon, and thanks for choosing The Stadium Course at PGA West!

Request A Vacation Quote From La Quinta Resort
Please provide your information below and a staff member at La Quinta Resort will be in contact to help you start planning your travel.
Resort/Public
4.2038941176
La Quinta, California
PALM SPRINGS, CA | Enjoy 4 nights' accommodations at La Quinta Resort & Club and 4 rounds of golf at Stadium and Nicklaus Tournament Courses at PGA WEST, and Indian Wells Celebrity Course and Players Courses.
PALM SPRINGS, CA | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at La Quinta Resort & Club and 6 rounds of golf at Westin Mission Hills - Pete Dye Course, Mission Hills North - Gary Player Signature Course, Indian Wells Resort courses, PGA WEST Pete Dye Mountain Course, and PGA WEST Pete Dye Dunes Course
PALM SPRINGS, CA | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at Renaissance Esmeralda Resort & Spa, and 2 rounds of golf at Indian Wells Golf Resort - Celebrity & Players Courses
PALM SPRINGS, CA | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at Renaissance Esmeralda Resort & Spa and 2 rounds of golf at Indian Wells Golf Resort - Celebrity & Players courses.
PALM SPRINGS, CA | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at Westin Mission Hills and 3 rounds of golf at Westin Mission Hills - Pete Dye Course, MIssion Hills North - Gary Player Signature Course, and Indian Wells Resort.