Mid Pines Inn and Golf Club

Year Built 1921
Architect Donald Ross (1921) George Waters (2013) Kyle Franz (2013)

Caddies Yes
Golf School Academy Yes - "Pine Needles Golf Academy"
Practice Hole Yes

Meeting Facilities

Fitness, Tennis

Great Experience

This course is a great competitor to the more resort-esque Pinehurst courses, and offers better value. The course was in great shape for the middle of the winter. They over-seeded, which kept things very green for this time of year. With 3 full days of rain in the days prior most courses will be quite squishy, however Mid Pines drained extremely well. Would highly recommend walking to take in the aesthetics.

Staff

Great but challenging

Course was overall great but greens were extremely quick and challenging for us. Course was in great shape overall for getting a ton of rain the night before.

Poor Condition

My husband and I played this golf course during Memorial Day weekend. It was a disappointing experience. The green was really slow, pace of play was average, bunkers were in bad shape. It appears to be abandoned for a long time that resulted in some erosion problem. The cart path was worse I have ever seen. I understand it is high season for golf so I expected the condition to match the price I paid to play. I will not recommend.

Great course; slow greens

Very nice layout; compact but doesn't feel cramped. Took cart as playing with friend but would have rather walked as tees are close to greens so easily walkable. Area had received 6+ inches of rain in the previous days so some areas of fairway were soggy and not mowed. Greens were also slow but smooth. Bunkers has standing water; I lost 3 balls in fairway bunkers due to this.
Would have liked to play with faster greens but still a great day and challenging golf course. Greens still required accurate shots to be on right side ridges and humps. Definitely a course I'd like to play again.

Excellent Course

Another supberb course. This too, was cart path only. I'm sure I got all my steps in that day (weight loss program). This course is also beautiful and made you work for your shots. I happened to find a couple of bunkers and managed to get out of them, but not always pretty.

A great course

This course has unique challenges that make it very interesting to play. Deb and I intend to come back here and play this again, just better the next time since we'll have some 'course knowledge' to add to striving for fairways and greens.

Beautiful Sandhills course

I like this course more each time I play it. Weather was perfect and accentuated the beauty and the layout of the course. Being familiar with the course makes for a more enjoyable day , especially with the trouble around the elevated greens that you can't see on your approach. Angle into the green is crucial. The use of grasses through waste areas and bunkers makes for an interesting landscape and more challenging shots if you are in those areas. Had a nice lunch in the clubhouse afterwards. Really enjoy playing Mid-Pines -One of my favorites.

Golf Channel

Beautiful yet treacherous

Aesthetically this course is absolutely amazing, but man is it tough. You need to be laser accurate with your approach shots as the greens are undulating and nearly all have false fronts. It is a course I would like to play a few times and I feel I would play it better. Highly recommend checking out this course!

Golf Advisor

rWonderfully restored Donald Ross

Much tougher than it first appears, but course nestles into Carolina Sand Hills with lots of natural integration with surrounds. Fairly wooded for a restored course, but that's part of the original design intent. Ross greens slope off precipitously on the edges into surrounding low areas, waste sandy areas and bunkers. Keeps you on your toes throughout, with an elegant feel and sensibility.

Amazing layout

Overall, the course was awesome - favorite course I’ve ever played. We enjoyed it so much we re-rounded. Each round was under 4 hours. This included a 4 ball in front us the first time through and a 2 ball the second time through.

Greens were in great shape and challenging. The layout was interesting and I felt we hit every club in the bag. A couple fairways we’re being repaired and really had no impact on the day.

Would like to get back soon.

Great Layout - Poor Conditions

First off, this is an excellent design, regarded by many as the second best layout in Pinehurst (behind 2). The restoration in 2014 was brilliant and this course is a blast to play. That being said when I played it the course was poor shape, at least for the rate they were asking. The fairways were bare in many spots, and it seemed as though the summer heat plus over-watering had done a number on them. Apart from that and a more concerning issue, they seem to be letting the rough grow back in. After the 2014 restoration all of the rough was removed as was done at No. 2 to return the course to Ross' original design, however now Bermuda rough is beginning to grow back in in many of the natural areas (I played the course in 2014 during the US Open and there was no rough anywhere). In all this is a great course that anyone who hasn't played it should when they get the chance simply because of its remarkable design, but the $175 they are asking in the heat of the summer (and $200+ in the fall) is over-priced given the conditions of the course. If I had not had a special discount I would have been outraged.

Tried twice

I really want to like this course more because the design is good. However, the fact they cannot seem to manage keeping play much under 5 hours and the course conditions (washed out bunkers, no grass to speak of around greens) left a lot to be desired takes this off my future play list. I would play twice across the street at Pine Needles instead.

Incentivized Review

Loved it, but challenging greens!

This was our 1st time playing Mid Pines as part of a guys week driving down from Ontario Canada to get into the golf season. Loved the course and the conditions and weather was ideal (May). A very good challenge especially for the first game of the season! We should have made this the last game for our trip because the greens very fast and your approach shots had to be spot on otherwise it wouldn't stay on the greens. Lots of false fronts and most greens were elevated and "turtle backed". Loved the southern charm of the course as well as the layout and would definitely come back!

Excellent Course

Great course with a great layout. Seemed to play a little shorter than sister-course, Pine Needles. Most tee shots are straightforward with no hidden sightlines. The challenge of this course is primarily on the greens which are fairly fast and undulating, and they don't always hold your chip shots. Fairways and greens were pristine. Our group will probably include Mid Pines or Pine Needles on most of our future trips.

Indy Advisor

Classic Ross

Mid Pines is a classic Ross layout. It has the feel of a course its age as it meanders through the trees near the old lodge. Very visually beautiful with the natural turf, sand, and pine straw just off the fairways. It shows how even when the holes aren't tricked up a-la Tobacco Road that golf can still be fun, beautiful, and challenging.

As for the course itself, the greens are challenging though not as tricked up as some other Ross courses I've played. It's in solid shape for this time of year. Was able to maneuver around quickly as a solo on the cold morning, and it was not very busy when I finished either. Lots of elevated greens and some false fronts and sand traps will grab you. Spray off the tee and the trees await. But if you keep it in play you will have a good day if the putter cooperates. It carries a hefty price tag, but it's worth adding to your playlist if you're in the area and/or booking a package.

disappointed

This course came highly recommended . Last course of our 4 day trip. Greens where great condition, staff was friendly and welcoming, but there was hardly any grass on tees on fairways. Quite honestly this place looked tired.

Commented on 06/23/2018

Sorry to hear about your experience, I play Mid Pines frequently. You played the week after they sprayed out all of the overseeded rye grass. That’s one reason why the fairways and tees looked bad, the rye grass dying and Bermuda hadn’t filled in yet. Please give it another shot in early spring or late fall and you’ll see the true beauty.

Virginia Advisor

Near Perfect Greens

Despite the two reviews before mine the course and staff were awesome. The only issues I noticed in the course conditions were a handful of thin tee boxes. The fairways, waste areas, (there are no sand traps here by local rule they are waste areas) and what rough there is are all in good shape and fair. The greens are near perfect right now. They are rolling true, smooth and on the faster side. This is consistent with all the others time I have played here. For a more in depth review you can read my June 2017 review. The staff have always been top notch every time I have been here. I truly love the more natural feel to the course with the native grasses, the pine straw and again the waste areas in place of rough and bunkers. The food is delicious and I didn't feel it was overpriced for what you get. I have walked this course with a caddie, which I highly recommend, and used a cart. Either way you should give this historic Donald Ross design a play. This is still one of my favorite places in the Pinehurst/Southern Pines area.

Overpriced for Course Condition

We played this course on June 9th, 2018 and I was shocked at how poor the course was compared to my expectations. I heard and read good things, but the course just didn’t live up to it. Fairways, rough, tee boxes, and sand were all in poor shape. Reminded me of a muni course back home.

We played Mid South earlier that day and it is no comparison...Mid South is waaaaay better. If you get the choice, play Mid South over Mid Pines every day of the week. Funny thing is, the guys in the clubhouse asked where all we played and we said Mid South...they said it’s a nice course, we are better. Pretty confident in a course that just is average.

If you are going down to golf this course, please be aware of slow play, poor conditions, overpriced green fees, and overpriced food ($12 for a hot dog and chips). I would think they need to figure it out before the public realizes there are much better courses in the area and not relying just on the name.

Window busted

Wow-got my car window busted while in parking lot with 20 other cars. Somebody hit over the driving range net. They need to address that issue. My complaint: no compensation for the wind shield. How about a discount on our package, or free drink in bar? Really! My group spent $8000 for 3 days at the resort. WE WILL NEVER RETURN!!! Too much competition-how about some customer service?

WOW!