View of a green from the Gary Player Course at Mission Hills.

Type Resort/Public

Formerly known as Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa - Gary Player Signature Course.

Mission Hills - Gary Player

Year Built 1992
Architect Gary Player (1992)

Dress code Collared golf shirts and proper length bermuda shorts or pants required. Prohibited are denim or blue jeans, halter-tops, bathing suits, sweat pants and t-shirts

19th Hole Specials 8

Endless Summer

Played at the MHGP today for the second time ever, good round with friends & great weather not too overly hot.
Course was fun & in good shape with the exception of weeds & shrubbery that needs to be cut back.
Rough was mowed either yesterday or early this morning today & was left everywhere so every step you take grass clumps to your feet, the cart & all over the clubs. Lost a couple of balls just off the fairway due to thick grass & grass clippings.
Friendly staff inside & outside, course is not ready for “in season” yet but they have already started charging like they are.

Slow pace of play

Arrived and there were no carts to put my bag on. No one greet me at the cart barn. The indIvidual working the Proshop cannot find my name, even though I told her my name and the tee time at 10:30. After five minutes of looking at the screen, she states, “oh there you are at 10:30.” Pace of play was painfully slow. Multiple hacking foursomes hacking up the course. I ended up playing the same 9 holes twice to avoid waiting 20 minutes at each tee box. Won’t be back.

Commented on 09/24/2021

Thank you for playing and sharing your review. We appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again.

JimM

One of the best looking courses from the tee and back to the green in the desert. Rough was too deep for vacation golfers. Maintenance required on some of the vegetation growing into the cart paths.
Couple surprise branch slaps! Keep the rough maintained to keep pace of play up. We still finished in 3.5 hours teeing it at 6:40 but had a lot of lost balls 5 yards off the fairway.

US Kids Event

Golf course was good. Staff was friendly. Tournament officials are great. Kids had fun but when it’s over 100 degrees and the Snack shop has no waters or food to sell? In the desert? This place had no bottled water to sell on a very hot day. Also practice round day they ran out of everything. Snack bar wasn’t prepared for 150+ kids..
anyway I’ll just bring my own stuff tomorrow. It’s gets me mad because when I spoke to the golf staff about food and drinks, they hyped up the snack bar but what ever..

Nice layout, decent condition

The course has some interesting holes. Fairways and greens were in good condition. No bunker rakes, but the bunkers were in decent condition.

Winter conditions?

Great design
Extra Small greens
Greens not cut and slow.
Unmanicured everything
Marginal conditions
Most area golf courses givebyou winter conditions in the summer at a low rate if you can take the hi heat.
Not this place. You get the heat but not the conditions.
Great starter by the way.

Commented on 09/13/2021

Thank you for playing and sharing your review. We appreciate your feedback and hope that you have a great day.

Great Layout

Interesting layout and very challenging. Most shots missing the fairway are lost balls. Good greens.

Great time worth the money

Staff could not have been nicer or friendlier. Loaded our clubs filled our ice cooler even suggested we might tee off on the back so it would go quicker to avoid the heat. After the round we were the last ones on the course the attendant stayed stilled cleaned our clubs talked to us like we were his best friend. Great service. Course was in good shape for this time of year. Staff made all the difference

Great track and pace

Always a fun course that is relatively challenging. Great finishing holes. Well landscaped with a great staff.

Course in Poor Condition

It appears that the course isn’t being maintained. Lost one ball in the clearly uncut rough which was 4-5 inches long. There were grass clippings all over, parts of the greens were burned. Very large weeds along the path clearly indicate that it hasn’t been kept up for some time. Months not weeks. Overall bunkers had no sand felt like concrete. I expect more especially for the fee charged. Maybe worth $25/person. Won’t return for n again. New owners don’t appear to care

Pleasant round

We teed off early and finished in 4hours 15 min. Everything was fine.

California Advisor

Player

Rode the Golds (6643/71.5/126) in slightly more than 4.5H mid morning with Chuck, Gill and Dan. Thanks to Chuck for coordinating the 4 player for $99 GM voucher. Excellent deal for this course! Clear with little breeze normally sounds good. But it was 111 when we finished, which made for very challenging playing conditions.

Tees mostly lush, level and only a few needed divot repair.

Fairways were lush, well maintained and nice to play from. Few unfixed divots.

Rough was almost unfair. 3-4" Bermuda, the ball usually sat down. Terrible for POP, you often had to almost step on balls 2 yards off the fairway or putting green apron to find them.

Traps were poor, not well maintained. Several had standing water and many others had not been raked consistently. Plus they need to trim the Bermuda runners around the edges. These traps were truly a hazard.

Greens firm and putted medium speed. Bumpy, looked like they were leaving them longer because of the heat. Often could not find where my iron or pitch shot hit, basically no ball marks. Not alot of break on these greens.

Conventional, old school Palm Springs layout. Exterior of the course is surrounded by homes &/or streets on all sides. No holes with a wow factor, but a very solid layout that is fun to play. Excellent practice and warm up facilities with complementary balls. Customer service excellent all around. Plenty of water stations on the course. No drink cart but they stock the ice chest with ice and water. GPS to the F/M/B of greens on the standard carts. Recommended.

Commented on 09/13/2021

Sweet summer deal - friendly staff

Great course with a fun layout. Scoreable par 5’s and medium to short par 3’s over fun water hazards. If you’re short off the tee, make sure to use forward tees as some of the longer holes force you to clear hazards. There are some obvious ground under repair areas because it’s the summer and less need to keep perfect, but the fairways and tee boxes were all very nicely maintained. Greens were veryyy slow the day I played, but that’s to be expected and they mentioned that they were getting cut soon.

Side note: I lost my phone on the course and the friendly staff helped me solve the issue. Guy in the pro shop let me use his personal phone to Find My IPhone and we located it somewhere on the 3rd hole near the cart path (lots of undulation so hold onto your phones!). I appreciate their help big time, losing my phone would have been a day-ruiner.

Commented on 09/01/2021

Thank you for playing and sharing your review with us. He hope to see you again soon.

Fabulous fairways

Amazing to play on such lush fairways in such a hot and dry climate. Greens were very hard but easy putting due to little movement in their design.

It was a wonderful round for us this morning.

Perfect day of Golf

No wind, no waiting… fairways, greens, rough, in excellent condition. Loved the layout and length. Will play again soon

Always a must play

every year when I come out to the desert this is one of my must play golf courses, I will be back next year !!

Resort/Public
Thousand Palms, California
Cathedral City, California
PALM SPRINGS, CA | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at Westin Mission Hills and 3 rounds of golf at Westin Mission Hills - Pete Dye Course, MIssion Hills North - Gary Player Signature Course, and Indian Wells Resort.
PALM SPRINGS, CA | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at Renaissance Esmeralda Resort & Spa and 2 rounds of golf at Indian Wells Golf Resort - Celebrity & Players courses.
PALM SPRINGS, CA | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at Renaissance Esmeralda Resort & Spa, and 2 rounds of golf at Indian Wells Golf Resort - Celebrity & Players Courses
PALM SPRINGS, CA | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at La Quinta Resort & Club and 6 rounds of golf at Westin Mission Hills - Pete Dye Course, Mission Hills North - Gary Player Signature Course, Indian Wells Resort courses, PGA WEST Pete Dye Mountain Course, and PGA WEST Pete Dye Dunes Course
PALM SPRINGS, CA | Enjoy 4 nights' accommodations at La Quinta Resort & Club and 4 rounds of golf at Stadium and Nicklaus Tournament Courses at PGA WEST, and Indian Wells Celebrity Course and Players Courses.