Style Links
Monarch Beach Golf Links

Year Built 1983

Golf Simulator Yes

Single Allowed No
Dress code Proper golf attire.

Clubhouse, Locker Rooms

Eh

Don’t fall for it!! Only one ocean front hole!

If you are looking for ocean views and a well maintained course spend your money! Many better options along the coast at this price point!

Commented on 02/26/2021

Greetings Manhattan,
Though we wish you had a more memorable experience, we appreciate you joining us for the day.
Happy Golfing,

Commented on 02/12/2021

Greetings Mr. Wright,
We appreciate you taking the time rate us 4-stars. Glad you love our course and we hope to see you around Monarch Beach this year!

Eh

Don’t fall for it!! One ocean front hole!
If you are looking for ocean views and a well maintained golf course spend your money elsewhere! There are many better options along the coast at this price point.

Good day at the beach!

As usual, the course is in good conditions. Friendly staff as always!

Commented on 01/08/2021

Greetings Lagunapc,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I will be sure to share your comments with our team members. Hope you can golf with us again soon!

grandmaster

I lived in the neighborhood above this place before it was built in the late 70s early 80s. my childhood years were spent exploring from my house to the coast. there were many different natural aspects i remember, including creeks and vernal ponds. i used to swim in them. then i remember being chased off the land, as just a small child hiding behind a ten foot tall ant hill! no lie, that was me. maybe it was only four feet tall since i was only seven years old but still, that was my childhood before the curtain fell and everything went to... golf is so rad

Roll and cut your greens (See example at Madares Golf Club-Troon)

Monarch is a very nice resort layout with wide fairways. However, the turf is very firm and is not a great choice if you like to take divots. It is way over priced for the layout, condition and speed of play. You are paying for the "Happy Hour" and not the golf course. The greens are terrible for the cost and level of experience the resort should be offering. The greens are designed well and have interesting contours, however they are poorly maintained too soft. The grass surface is to long and the greens need to be rolled as they are extremely tracked up with footprints and bumps. The greens are almost unplayable by the end of the day with all of the footprints. They should model Mederas Golf Club in San Diego which is a Troon Property and offers a similar layout, but much better conditioning.
Soften the fairways a little and firm up and smooth out the green surface and you will improve the overall experience 100%.
I hope they fix the course as I live in the area and would like to see all of the top tier golf courses maintain their excellence in customer experience.
Regardless of level of player, a good putting surface yields a great experience.

Greetings,
We appreciate your feedback and review. As you can expect, courses such as ours have been busier than usual which results in a challenge to keep the conditions to our high standards. Additionally, being close to the coast provides its own unique challenges in regards to salt & soil conditions. Lastly, poa annua greens tend to get bumpier as the day progresses as you noted - we do cut and roll our greens, unfortunately you may have visited us when our superintendent was working hard on not stressing out our turf due to high traffic. With all that being said, we hope you do have a chance to visit us again in our warmer spring months and enjoy peak conditions. Wishing you a happy holiday season!

Eric Lohman, PGA GM

Great Course, Highly Recommended.....

Usually when I write out golf course reviews I'll list the positive and the negative aspects/features of a course. Honestly though I don't have any negative remarks about Monarch Beach. After asking the other three golfers in my group what they thought about the course, I found they were of the same opinion.

Everyone from the valets, bag drop guys, to the pro shop, starter and beverage cart lady and the grounds crew, everyone was very friendly, courteous and as helpful as I've run across at high end courses. The course itself was in wonderful shape from the tees through the greens, and I thought it was a fun, somewhat difficult, but not unfair, golf course(like other Robert Trent Jones & RTJ Jr courses I've played in the past). I'm an OC native and have been golfing for 20+ years, and this is one of the two public courses in OC I hadn't played before. I wasn't disappointed with any part of the round and I'd definitely recommend Monarch to anyone looking for a local, high end resort course.

One of the complaints I noticed in other previously posted reviews was the cost. While it's certainly not "cheap", I thought it was a pretty good value for the price. Also, if you live and/or golf in OC you're likely familiar with the minimum $60-$80 it'll cost you to play most other public courses on a weekend. As well as the usually average(and occasionally below average) service and course conditions you can expect and the 5-5.5 hours(or more) it'll take to play 18. All things considered I didn't find the pricing to be too high, especially considering the area or for the resort quality service provided and the great course conditions. One thing I'll suggest is to sign up for the emails the course sends out, its free and they send out one a week, that's how I managed to get a pretty good discount on my foursomes green fees.

Greetings!
Thank you for taking the time for you to write such a thorough review. We are so glad your experience matched your expectations. We are also glad that our emails provided value to your visit and sincerely hope we can host you again soon.
Happy holidays!

Fun Course to play

The course is fun and not very hard to play. The course has a Great layout and nice looking approach shot looks to the greens. Hole 3 has a great view of the ocean and a fun hole to play. Hole 7 is an odd par 5 with the split fairway choice for an approach. I love that idea. I would play this course again for sure.

Greetings M4FLASH,
We appreciate you taking the time share some words regarding your experience. Hole 7 is very tough and glad you enjoyed it - maybe you'd play it different next time!
Happy holidays and play well!

Was Fun; But Never Again

Had a good time overall, but this course takes serious course knowledge to have any chance at a decent round. Extremely challenging holes with very unique OB zones. Not a very intuitive course and only 2 holes are near the ocean. I would pay around $75-100 tops to play this course. Definitely not worth the $250. I don’t regret it, had a good time, but will never be playing here again.

Greetings AustinMareena,
Thank you for taking the time to review your visit with us. It is a tricky course for first-timers. Though you feel you won't be joining us again, we sure hope you do. Have a wonderful holiday season.

Commented on 09/04/2020

Greetings,
Thank you for taking the time to rate us 4-stars and to come and play. As I am sure you experienced, we have been busier than normal given this unusual state of the world we are in with limited social distancing activities. Because of that and our dynamic pricing structure, you did pay a higher than usual rate so we hope that when things level out you do have a chance to visit us again and have an overall 5-star experience. We do thank you for visiting us and hope we provided a memorable day.

Greetings!
Thank you for taking the time to review your visit with us and for the 5-star rating. Hope yo can golf with us again soon.

Interesting Holes

Fortunately we played with a member who was very helpful Beautiful views of the Pacific. Greens in super shape Fairways ok.
Staff was very accommodating in all aspects.

Greetings!
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and the 5-start rating. Hope you can visit us again soon all the way from Kentucky!

Commented on 01/13/2020

Greetings!
We appreciate you taking the time to rate your experience at Monarch Beach Golf Links. Glad to hear you were able to play with a Member to help with some course tips!
Hope we can host you again soon -
Have a great 2020.

Commented on 07/27/2020

Thank you, bjcologgi for rating us 5-stars!
Eric Lohman, PGA GM

Really love this course. Layout is great, dog left, dog right ,over the water. A great place to work on all your golf games from driver, woods ,irons ,wedges and putter. I'll come back and play here for sure. Staff are helpful and great customer serves . Free waters and food with green fees ain't beat that....

Greetings!
We love your review and appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. Hope you can visit us again soon.

Beautiful oceanside course

I am a regular to this beautiful oceanside course, and have been enjoying the layout, condition of the course, pace of play and friendly staffs.

Greetings 23992caravel!
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are glad to hear you're a regular and hope you're enjoying the changes we are making to the property. Looking forward to seeing you around!

Incentivized Review

Dana Point must play

Great course with some wonderful views. Good for all levels of play. Great staff

Commented on 12/06/2019

Thank you for sharing your review and photo!
You're welcome any time!

Incentivized Review

Monarch Experience

This course is challenging and scenic. The staff is genial and helpful. More important antsy the course is always in great shape. Especially the greens which are challenging to all levels of golfers

Commented on 12/06/2019

Thank you for the stellar review! Visit us again soon!

Laguna Niguel, California