Tot Hill Farm Golf Club

Golf Season Year round. High Season: March - November
Architect Mike Strantz (2000) Michael Gleason

Dress code Proper golf attire required.

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in North Carolina (2016 #23)

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 30

Another Fun Round

Introduced the course to two new playing companions. They thought the course was beautiful but challenging. They're not in a real hurry to play it again. Played from the yellow tees for the first time which made the round more enjoyable for me. I have always played the whites on previous rounds. Some of the pin positions were unfair given the speed of the greens. Several greens were in bad shape with large bare spots. Didn't detract from the overall experience as far as I was concerned.

Tough greens

Several of the greens were not in good shape, and they were fast enough that if you were on the wrong side of the hole, you were dead. I still like the challenge even if the greens cost me 5-10 strokes. Not your typical round of golf.

Not as good as I expected

I had heard such wonderful things about Tot Hill Farms. First time there (and I love Mike Strantz courses like Tobacco Road) but was very disappointed. Not very friendly staff - no general info on the course by the starter. The course is "tricky" and tough, that is fine - but the upkeep of the grounds is terrible. Granted, I heard 3 greens were not in good shape (true) but the rest of the course was not great. Cart paths are so bumpy, pot holes, lack of signage on where to go for next hole. Also, not a fan of a tee box having to tee off OVER a green (in use). Another tee box was ACROSS a road (I played the tips). I can't say how disappointed I was. Charge some more and keep the place up a bit. this could be fantastic but is barely average. I won't be coming back. Bryan Park in Greensboro is a facility that knows how to run a great golf course - go there instead.

Very challenging needs some TLC

This was a golf experience with a very challenging layout . Many of the holes are blind to the pin until your approach shot. Greens on the front 9 were quite rough and damaged. I’d still recommend this course as it’s layout is very unique and enjoyable. Take your time and don’t go fast.

Whacky, but worth the trip (once)

I love Donald Ross and Tom Fazio courses like no one's business. I am a traditionalist, but don't mind stepping out of that box from time to time. But this course is wackadoodle/bananas in so many ways. At times I think I would describe it less creative and more like, "hey, I forgot to put a hole in so how might I squeeze it into a piece of real estate where it has no business going." There is a real difference between architectural creativity and just outright odd. I think a feng shui designer might go mad on this course. It just does not make a lot of sense and it is crazy how it is rated so high by reputable golf ratings' sources. Part of the problem is the greens our almost unplayable in some areas while being good in others. They, like many courses need to transition to greens more appropriate to the NC summer heat or figure out a way to get more air flow to greens that get little sunlight. This time of the year they should be much better. Lastly, it was really annoying that as we were teeing off on the first hole the group behind us was already at the cart path area waiting for us to tee off. We arrived to the tee on time and nearly ever hole and shot they were right on our tail and we were on pace with the group in front of us. You would think retirees might live into their available time differently, but patience and pacing they had little of! Our experience was good and it was a beautiful day. I will check this one off the box of played it once and that is plenty.

The course is a NC treasure

as always the sheer beauty of this course made for a great time even though I wasn't playing well. I really hope they can continue well into the future and not sell out to developers.

What happened?

5 hour round...ugh! I played the course 7 weeks ago and the greens were great. Pretty good shape and quick! Today, many greens have no grass in several areas and were slow. Not sure how they can go bad so quickly but not going back until they are fixed.

Greens were terrible!!

Two out of the 18 greens were ok. The rest of the greens were terrible. The course should have been closed!!!

Green Issues

Greens were very bad on several holes. Too nice of a course, hope things aren’t going downhill. Overpriced for the conditions of the greens

Bad condition

Course is in bad shape. Greens are unplayable. Price is too high for condition it’s in.

Don't play here for a while

When we got there they had us tee off on hole 10. The back half of the course was beautiful. Great greens and fairways. Then we got to the front nine and saw why they started us on the back. Almost all the greens were in miserable shape and there was no warning or acknowledgement from the course Staff about it. They even put flags in the middle of the fairway to make makeshift holes. This experience completely ruined my game. They charged me full course money for a course that wasn't worth half what I paid. I will not be going back and I will not be using Golf Now anymore, they failed to make sure the course was in playable shape.

Great course - Greens (temporarily) rough

The course layout was great and under normal circumstances, this would have been a great round. However, the greens are in bad shape (the course staff admitted as much) and having bad green conditions takes away from the overall enjoyment of the round. The staff is taking measures to appease current players but I plan to wait until at least November before coming back to Tot Hill Farm. I will definitely be back…just not for a few months.

Tot Hill Farm/Asheboro, NC

Played this course in late July 2021 and was blown away at the layout and the course conditions. The "clubhouse" leaves quite a bit to be desired. It's a double wide trailer with nothing more than what you might find at your local convenience store in regards to food. Bathrooms are maybe a little nicer than said convenience store. Despite the lackluster clubhouse I could not wait to get back simply because of the layout and the conditions; however, upon my return yesterday we showed up to find out that they had COMPLETELY LOST the greens on the front side in the last month or so. I've putted out of bunkers that were smoother surfaces than what we had yesterday. There was no mention of this when I booked my tee time online so we showed up and they charged us full price. Their consolation offer of a bucket of range balls was appreciated didn't exactly quell my disappointment. Such a travesty to have a tremendous layout go to waste with poor maintenance. Fairways, tees and the surrounding areas all looked fantastic but the greens were absolute toast. It'll be a while before I try this one again unfortunately.

Course condition

Got hill farm course was the best course around. I don’t know what happened to it but it was terrible yesterday. Prices are high course was ruff shape and they don’t have food to buy.

Lost Greens

Let’s call a dud, a dud. While always an “interesting” layout, that no longer makes up for unputtable greens. Either fix them or close. I know, I know….new owners soon. Yada, yada, yada. That’s too valuable land to try and salvage a struggling layout.

Great Layout Greens Terrible

Great course and layout. They lost the greens - not putt-able currently. Go for the overall experience. Full rates too high for condition of greens.

They’ve lost their greens

A brilliant layout that is super fun. The fairways and bunkers are in good shape. They’ve lost the front side greens. This course is brilliant, but the shape is a travesty. So unfortunate that they let the greens go so poorly.

Greens awful

Booked on Golfnow
No indication the greens had been too dressed
Guy said it was 8 days prior upon arrival but most greens had NO grass
And seemed to have been lost
I took pics. Worst greens I’ve ever been on in 30 years

Randleman, North Carolina
Archdale, North Carolina
New London, North Carolina
Troy, North Carolina
Thomasville, North Carolina
Thomasville, North Carolina
Lexington, North Carolina
CHARLESTON, SC | Enjoy 5 nights' accommodations at The Francis Marion Hotel and play 4 rounds of golf at the Links at Stono Ferry, Dunes West GC, Charleston National Country Club & Rivertowne Country Club.
KIAWAH ISLAND, SC | Enjoy 5 nights' accommodations in a Resort Class Villa at Kiawah Island Golf Resort and play 4 rounds of golf at Osprey Point, Turtle Point, Cougar Point and Ocean Course.