Tot Hill Farm Golf Club

Golf Season Year round. High Season: March - November
Architect Mike Strantz (2000) Michael Gleason

Dress code Proper golf attire required.

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in North Carolina (2016 #23)

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 30

Great course but pace of play slow

Seem like there were locals that teed of early and made the back three hours. On the last two holes we had 6 groups and lead group had five in it. Course was in great condition and a couple pin positions were borderline.

Visually Intimidating

This is the 5th Mike Strantz designed course I've played and although nicely set into the hillsides, it is not the most scenic of his designs. It is, however, the most visually intimidating and demanding I've played. The majority of the tee shots are downhill to areas of varying degrees of exposure, meaning there are places you better not hit it and many you can't see. BUY THE YARDAGE BOOK, spend $5 in the pro shop and you'll probably save a sleeve of balls. If you have a rangefinder USE IT for every shot. The approach shots are often uphill, sometimes requiring two clubs more than "flat" yardage, often to oddly shaped and tiered greens. This isn't a hit it hard, find it and hit it again course and you'll have to properly plan to post a decent score based on your abilities. If you're really long with your irons feel free to go to the back tees, if not and you're a straight shooting 5-10 Hcp but short, play the whites and try to enjoy the round. Oh, do not attempt to play without others eyes watching your shots or you're guaranteed to lose several balls, seemingly hit in the center of the fairway. It happened to me on the par 5 16th & although my eyesight isn't what it once was, I know where the ball was flying, about where it landed and Lewis and Clark couldn't find it with the help of Sacagawea. : )

Fun

This is a great course ...so fun. Mike Strantz was a great course designer I love this course the more I play it Not as in good shape as Tobacco Road or Caledonia but great bang for your buck and a must play for Strantz fans ! Enjoy the ride

Hidden Gem

If you're taking a golf trip to the Pinehurst area, this course is a must play. Tot Hill will be the most fun you have on the trip... if you're okay with losing some balls and/or playing a scramble. Be ready for plenty of blind shots and undulating greens. The phrase "this is my favorite golf course" was uttered from my mouth on each of the first 9 holes. At 25% the price of Strantz's Tobacco Road, this course is really tough to beat money wise. Don't let the price throw you off though, this was a highlight of the trip.

Beautiful day and great golf!

Weather was wonderful and course was challenging. Great all around experience!

This is a favorite course of mine. The course is a bit rough right now but I think when the fairways come in it will turn around. Greens are good except a few have some bad areas on them. The starter was a real nice guy. The check in guy was so so. Driving range is in bad shape and the balls were terrible. I hope the folks that own it put money in it because I really like this course.

What a Treat

Since playing Bulls Bay back in the summer I have wanted to experience other Mike Stranz courses. With the aid of some Group Golfer coupons a buddy of mine and I drove over to Tot Hill Farm (two hours away) to play this unique layout. The friendly fellow that organizes the bag drop also serves as the starter and he was able to get us out ahead of schedule. In fact, all of the personnel we encountered were amicable and helpful.

We had been warned about the pace of play, as you inevitably have to wait for the group in front of you to look for lost balls. The group in front of us did not disappoint as they ventured into areas billy goats might fear to tread. Probably the one knock on the trip was that some golfers did not really belong out there, given their skill sets, but they deserve a try and I'm sure their business is appreciated.

The course is difficult but fair and certainly a unique experience. The bent grass greens were true and rolling a little slow but it is getting to be warn enough that they need some thickness for protection from the heat. Elevation changes, beautiful views, and tough holes are all part of the experience. The occasional blind shots demonstrate that course knowledge is necessary for success and the next trip, which I hope to make soon, should be a bit easier.

Hit by a ball

We were a 2some playing between 2 3somes the 3some hit into us 3 times. The third time I was walking off the green and about to get in my cart when I was hit square in the back with a golf ball. There was no doubt where it came from. when we got to the next tee he tried to apologize. I won't go back to TOT Hill ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great time at Tot Hill Farm

The gentleman greeting us to place our bags on the cart was super polite. The check in was easy and the club house was clean and simple. It rained heavily the day before so we thought there may be some drainage issues or very wet spots on the course but there wasn’t. The course was immaculate and the greens were rolling very good. I always enjoy playing this course even though the score doesn’t always show it.

Nice to play once

I equate this course to the poor man's Tobacco Road. It's an interesting course with elevation changes, rock outcroppings, wild greens, and lots of blind shots. Course condition was average at best but I don't think you play this course for it's condition. It's nice to play once in a great while as to play a course unlike just about any other golf course around. Visually, it's a very attractive course. There are a wide variety of holes. Use a range finder for sight lines off the tee because the elevation changes will confuse depth perception. in another month I'm guessing the course will be more attractive and in better condition.

Interesting !

Fun challenge. Don't expect to much of yourself the first time. Rather dry for April.

Diabolical!

Mike Strantz will live forever on this beautifully wicked course. No matter how many times I play I am awed by the views and the requirement of challenging shots. Amazing. Each time I approach the first tee with renewed confidence, yet meekly walk off the 18th green with a humble tip of the cap to Mike. Got me again. But what a pleasure. Thanks Mike. And thanks THFC!!!

04/03/21 Saturday Round

First and foremost, anybody with a bad thing to say about the staff at Tod Hill Farm can go pound sand. Nice people everywhere. Particularly the starter, who knew what he was doing by holding us off from teeing it up until the group ahead had walked off the first tee. It was cart path only so it was a 4+ hour round, but never because we were waiting on the group ahead of us. He also talked the two froggy twentysomethings in our bunch out of the green tees down to the whites. Good call.
I''ve played THF twice around this time of year both times. I'm committed to going back in the summer to see what it's like greened up. It was pretty shabby on the tees and fairways. Greens had been punched. It would be absolutley amazing if the investors put some money in this place. The layout is amazing. Have fun. It's a amazing gem.

Great layout

I have always played Tot Hill in the summer. I always had a great time and love the course. Unfortunately, there must have been a lot of rain as the course was very wet. It was really too wet to play so the conditions were poor.

Phenomenal golf course

A Strantz classic. An extremely good test of golf. Layout is absolutely phenomenal.

Well, THAT was fun.

First time playing. First one out at 8:30 on a Wednesday morning, solo. Course is walkable, but only for a select few. Probably a good 6-7 miles long, with about 1000' of climb.

Lots of fun! Beautiful layout, scenic, interesting, and hard. Greens were lightning fast, took me 4 holes to get a grip on my putting. Grass is kinda deadish right now, but doesn't prevent a fun round.

Two holes, 14 & 18, had pin placements where the ball would not stop; just rolled back off the green until you holed it. I had to cheat on these holes & re-chip/putt until I was satisfied.

Bought the 5-round card & will for sure be back again! Probably with some friends, let them feel the pain.

Definitely a hard course, but if I wasn't playing badly, it's gettable. I'm gonna break 80 here.

Randleman, North Carolina