Learn more about becoming a member at
Gatton Manor Hotel & Golf Club

Style Woodland

Year Built 1969

Clubhouse, Conference Facilities, Banquet Facilities

Shambles

Paid £40 for a round and was told before we tee’d off that the back 9 holes were not in use but we can go around twice. No problem with that these things happen but when we finished the front 9 and returned to the start there were around 15 people waiting to tee off so we could not just continue. Ended up walking off because didn’t want to wait an hour before we could tee off again. No emails to warn us of a problem with the back 9 holes when I was booking the round and no email from the club either. Poor service and will not be using the app in the future.

Soaking coarse

I know it’s a tricky time of year but £40 to play two front 9s because the back 9 is closed due to flooding is pushing it a bit. Particularly as we had no idea until we arrived.

We abandoned second 9 as there was a queue on first tee predictably.

The course was absolutely saturated and should be closed to dry out. The fairways were like swamps too.

Slow and boggy

We booked a two-ball through Golf Now. When we turned up, they said golf bookings through this app mean we get paired with a random two-ball. In fairness they were malleable and let us go out on our own. But still, not great.

Also, we were stuck behind a society who were slower than is fair on other players. And no effort was made by the club to speed them up.

As for the course, it’s not a winter course. Total bog with not a single proper tee-box and slip-sliding through every fairway.

All in all, not at all as good as hoped. In fact, much worse.

Needs investment to bring it into the 21st century

Overall a run of the mill hotel course in need of an upgrade. Played off the winter tees which looked better than the very tired looking main tees. Drainage poor on the fairways, greens a bit lumpy and inconsistent and most holes run of the mill. Facilities look neglected and the whole place looks like it could use some major investment to do the setting and the potential of the estate justice. Worth playing off season for a discount with the more forgiving winter rules. Staff were all very welcoming and deserve better surroundings.

Lovely challenging course but too wet

It was too wet to play course properly. As a social round we had fun and enjoyed the round but opening in such conditions could cause a lot of remedial work when things dry out. It’s a lovely course and it would be a shame to put it under pressure with all the rain we have had

A course which would play better in dry conditions. Greens were good, but after so much rain the fairways were very wet and muddy and mats were used on all holes instead of the regular tees.

Getting better all the time!

I’ve played this course about 10 times now & I have to say it seems to be getting better each time I play it. A few years ago it wasn’t in the best of conditions but now it’s a great place to play golf. Greens always run well here, pace of play was excellent & staff were very friendly.

Despite the weather changing recently the course drained very well to. Only disappointment was all bunkers were GUR but that seems to be the case at most courses due to Covid.

Will be back soon

Martyn’s

Course could do with a bit of TLC
Club house need a bit of TLC
Easy to play lots of trees
The course has a nice flow with some lovely holes
Would recommend a visit
Maybe a bit wet in the winter

Lovely course but poor condition

The course is well designed with some lovely feature holes, however the course condition is poor. The chap on reception told us all of the bunkers are out of play as they are having work done to them. We couldn't see any work being done to them at all. They had just been left alone so weeds and thistles are growing in them. The tee boxes are overgrown and run down. Some of the tee boxes are temporary tees. None of this is mentioned on the website. You just get told it shortly before your tee off. Definitely not worth £35 of anyone's money in this condition, but would be if it was in good condition as it is a lovely course.

Great course!

First time I have played at Gatton Manor and I will be back. It was a very cold start to the day with the first fairway covered in frost but the sun came out and soon thawed everything out. The course itself has a lovely layout and is very picturesque. A combination of water and tree lined fairways leading into tight greens makes this a challenging course but one that is a pleasure to play. The course was undergoing annual maintenance which meant some greens and tees were not in good condition. Maybe the club should considered reduced fees during the maintenance window. Overall, it was a thoroughly enjoyable round of golf on a lovely little course. I will be back.

Great value for money

Lovely course, lots of variety, some cracking holes. Greens v good for time of year. Bunkers terrible - thick muddy sand - but we had lots of rain this week so forgivable. Would defined recommend this course.

A great first experience

A great day out on the golf course. First thing I’d say was just how helpful and friendly the staff were. It really helped make a great start to the day. Seemed to really care about the customers which was great to see.
Course was challenging but accessibly so. Well looked after. It’s a very beautiful course with plenty of obstacles and water traps to up the difficulty level.

Enjoyable Round

The reviews I'd read on this course were a little mixed but I found this a solid mature course with some very interesting holes.

It could do with some more attention around the tees and greens, the buggy paths are a bit of an eye sore but those are the distractions from what is a pretty beautiful location, attractive and some challenging holes.

It was pretty busy the day we played and I am sure that was because of the offers they have on at the time of writing this review. It would have been nice if the halfway house was open. We were warned so, enjoyed a tasty bacon roll and coffee before heading out. Still the opportunity to get a snack at half way would have been welcome. Yes there is a virus but social distancing can be applied and there seemed the opportunity for plenty of business.

Overall we really enjoyed our visit. A tidy here and there, some course care and this would be a top place to play however if they invested more the prices would definitely rise so the value for money is good value.

The course was in good condition and would play again. The day/time we played it was very quiet so no issue with the pace of play.. Cannot comment on the amenities as these were not used.

Cranleigh, Waverley