Style Parkland
The Wiltshire Hotel, Golf & Country Club - Lakes Course
Powered by GolfNow.co.uk

Year Built 1991
Architect Peter Alliss (1991) Clive Clark (1991)

Bar

Conference Facilities, Banquet Facilities

Quiet course

Course was in pretty decent condition, given the awful weather we’ve had. Felt like £20 was fair reflection and worth the money. The hotel had turned into asylum seeker hotel and can’t even get a drink. Asked one the staff to get off seat to get us one and said yes 1 min and never lifted his head again.

Joke

Where to start? Zero signage in the car park as to where to go to check in or where 1st tee was. After being redirected twice I finally found the tee box or weed mound. Thought maybe it was just the first tee but no such luck. Fairways were just as long as the semi rough or rough so no idea where fairways begin and end, luckily you can see where the greens are and that’s were the good news ends. The greens( weed patches and bare soil with mud and holes everywhere) and luckily for me with an empty course I got to put all the flag sticks in so I could actually see where the holes were( I teed off at 1130). No pointers for the next tees and info boards on the weed mounds were pointless as you couldn’t see the info due to them being bleached by the weather. Cannot believe they charge £20to play on this course……. £5 is too much, will I be back? Would rather spoon out my eyeballs with a rusty fork.

Excellent Value

After reading some of the other reviews after already booking, I was a little sceptical. On arriving for the first time, it is not obvious where to go to sign in (some signage at the front near the car park would solve this issue). There was no pro shop or anywhere to buy snacks or drinks to take on the round. Once we arrived at the first tee, it was clear that the course was in excellent condition for the time of year. All greens were well kept and fairways were good. The course was not too busy and we were waved through by a slower group which meant pace of play was excellent throughout. The best 18 hole course I've played for under £20.

A very rough diamond.

The potential of being a superb golf course.

Greeted by a sign saying entrance is around the back. The back entrance is a corridor which serves as the pro shop and sign in station. Given a score card a smile and nothing else. I’m not an especially chatty person but I do like to find out conditions, any tricky holes or navigation points on a course I’ve never played, it was clear the receptionist wasn’t a golfer or had any interest in having a conversation.

Course was soaking wet, there is a lack of drainage that really takes away from the feel of the course and impacts play negatively. However the greens were bone dry, which didn’t help the putting surface. This was unevenly cut causing a putt to resemble a ball rolling on an actual pebble beach.

Biggest problem was the signage. Four times I found the wrong tee, and twice almost teed off on the wrong hole because there was no hole number at the tee box. The shambles welcome and a couple wandering over when I was on the first asking where the 15th was gave me enough warning to ensure I was on the right track. Luckily my gps watch gave me enough information to tell me I was in the wrong place but some signs telling you where the next tee is would be an easy fix.

Afterwards had a pint in my socks as the bar doesn’t allow spikes and the car park is too far to care about the sock stink. I was alone in the bar, it’s a pretty big place but did seem odd that it was empty. The kitchen was closed so no cheesy chips for me.

The whole feel of the place seemed like it was new owners just starting to learn the ropes themselves. Plenty of staff not many guests. At one point you walk past a large indoor swimming pool, again empty. Playing the 13th I noticed 2 staff members out for a walk on the course, lovely to see. However, they got to the 13th green before me picked up my ball and started rolling it around the green, when I got close enough to say something they dropped the ball and scurried off with a wave suggested as an apology. Perhaps the golf here is low on the agenda for the owners and staff.

This golf course could be a diamond in Wiltshire’s beautiful countryside. As it is, however, it remains uncut, buried in mud and run by hoteliers who don’t want to be a diamond mine.

At the price of £17 a round I would play it again and hope for drier conditions.

Great value but poor off course amenities

I can’t complain for £20 - lovely course. Pretty good condition for the time of year. It’s been 2 years since I played this course and I’m not sure what’s happened to the hotel but it used to be lively - it’s the opposite now. No reception area, no pro shop anymore, no food in the (empty) bar - drinks only.

Hardly anyone on the course. A real shame as it’s a great course but it looks like it’s on the verge of closing down.

You won’t be disappointed in the course for £20 if you’re a casual player. The course has some lovely holes too, but off the course it’s really gone downhill

Excellent course

Played today excellent course will be back, great value for money only negative would be needs to more clear where tee is for each hole

Bash after T20 Final

Booked at late notice; golf shop shut on arrival and had to report to hotel reception to get scorecard and notify of our arrival. Told we MUST wear a paper wristband when playing as paying guests. Why? Because management says so !!!

Didn’t stop for a drink, went to pub instead

Much better price, just need to tidy up the greens

Would have been excellent all the way but 3 weeks ago they treated the greens, and unfortunately it looks like they haven’t been touched since, but much better price so value for money!! Just sort the greens out and we all might join as we live the course and layout

Came back and was surprisingly impressed

Visited the Wiltshire around 2 months ago and gave it 4 stars, however this time left rather impressed at recent developments on the course, one member told me they held a European Junior day the week before and it was easy to see this was true. For £25 will definitely be back, I just hope they keep the pricing the same.

Nice course layout, but rude staff as club shop closed

The course was really good, especially as they hollotined the greens but you wouldn’t have know as they rolled really well and true. Unfortunately at £50 a round just a little too steep, especially when the staff are rude as they’re only interested in the hotel customers. Shame because if there was more care the course would be rammed, but it was empty!!

Disappointed

Course was deserted and we soon discovered why.
Course has a great layout but needs a considerable amount of work to bring back to a playable standard.
Fairways are reasonable, greens and tees are appalling and in need of proper maintenance.
Clubhouse feels a bit tired no one in the pro shop and bar staff turned up eventually.
Not worth the £33 pp ‘hot deal’ that we paid and wouldn’t return or recommend.

Wiltshire golf lakes course

Challenging golf round with some very tricky holes and greens.
Recovering quickly after the recent drought conditions

Well maintained sny red tee markers!! Easy to navigate!! Loved it!

Not worth the price

Potential could be a great course but unfortunately it's being neglected.
Way over priced,

Great Day out with Friends, hope to return soon. Thank you

Upon arriving at The Wiltshire I was greeted in the main reception by a helpful young gentleman putting me in the director of the head pro who make check in simple and off we went on our round. Luckily the weather was great and after completing the first couple of holes and ventured out on the 4th the mass amounts of countryside was quite the spectacle. After finishing the round we headed to the bar and albeit it a little quiet could see had just gone under refurbishment. Other aspects require a little attention but overall a great day out and will hope to return again one day.

Wednesday 8th June

On arrival, no food available at all - so we left for a cafe a couple of miles away. Upon return no one was available to meet us in reception. Pro shop non existent as far as I could tell. So we just went to the first tee and played. The course itself is pretty good, the greens run true and well.. half way up the first a man in a buggy chased after us and asked us to wear a band on our wrists…. Never did this this once he had gone, as they were annoying when swinging a golf club. Course is worth playing, bunkers were poor with very gritty, thin levels of sand. We left straight after as the round took 4 1/2 hours for a 3 ball - we followed a society that had no thought of letting anyone through. Fortunately the sun was out, but otherwise we may have walked off earlier. Shame really, no atmosphere and no welcome in the building spoilt this trip out.

Not a £35 course

No proshop just hotel check in desk so make sure your stocked up before you arrive.

£20 - £25 course chrging over the top as its a hotel. Needs a lot of tlc on course. Tee boxes not cut well, greens very patchy and slow. Go a foot off the fairway and your in your pocket for a new ball, bunkers terrible, hard sand with a lot of stone chips in them. Though some good holes with a decent scoring chance.

Terrible Members

Today I played a round at The lakes. The course itself isnt bad. The fairways are good and greens are ok. I understand keeping a course like this is hard work and the staff do a good job. I was on my round with a friend and saw three gents push from finishing the 4th hole to the 8th. I was coming off the 7th and onto the 8th. I persumed they would give way as I was a two ball and they were a three, Elderly and slow. They were the rudest members I have ever met, one in particular swearing, Threatening and lying saying they hadnt cut the course and they they were in a competetion. Clearly that member believes he is he only ones that can enjoy a round of golf. Avoid the course. Maybe the member in questions should re-read the code of ethics and not be a digrace and an embarassment to the club. I wont be going back. Dont waste your money going here. There are plenty of courses in Wiltshire. Avoid this one.

Royal Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire
Chippenham, Wiltshire
Chippenham, Wiltshire
Marlborough, Wiltshire
4.9019647059
LONDON, ENGLAND | Enjoy 5 nights' accommodations at Berystede Hotel in Ascot and 5 rounds of golf at Sunningdale New Course, Walton Heath, Sunningdale Old Course, St. Georges Hill, and Swinley Forest.
WALES | Enjoy 5 nights' accommodations at Y-Branwen in Harlech and Coldra Court in Celtic Manor and 5 rounds of golf at Aberdovey, Royal St. Davids, Pennard, Royal Porthcawl, and Celtic Manor 2010.
NORTHERN IRELAND | Enjoy 5 nights' accommodations at Bayview Hotel in Bushmills and Burrendale Hotel in Newcastle and 5 rounds of golf at Portmarnock, Portstewart, Royal County Down, Ardglass, and Royal Portrush.
SOUTHPORT | Enjoy 5 nights' accommodations at Vincent Hotel in Southport and 5 rounds of golf at Hillside, Royal Liverpool, Formby, Royal Lytham & St. Annes, and Royal Birkdale.
DUBLIN, IRELAND | Enjoy 5 nights' accommodations at The Green Hotel in Dublin City and 5 rounds of golf at County Louth, The Island, Portmarnock, Royal Dublin, and K Club (Palmer North).