Castle Oaks Golf Course

Year Built 1994
Architect Brad Benz (1994) Ross Forbes (1994)

Bar, Snacks, Restaurant

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in California (2015 #16)

Too expensive and it was not the rate I booked.

They charged me $40 for a cart because I didn’t want to share (COVID reasons). $35 walking rate and $70 for riding rate...on a weekday? I booked it as $52 riding rate through tee off but they still charged me $70. I will not be back anytime soon.

Miscommunication

We arrived at the golf course early for 2 threesome and were told that we may be joined by one more player, so we waited but staff told us that if they don't show up to go ahead and play. Time came, players showed up late, so guess we started without them. Unfriendly staff approached us and not very nice, bad customer service. Why do we have to delay for latecomers? we paid the right fee, we should not be penalized for being early or on time, plus generally everyone is already playing slow in front of us. We almost did not finished 18th hole just right before it became really dark. Not sure if we'll be playing here again.

New Year Tradition

We've always play on New Year's day at different golf courses. This time in Castle Oaks golf club. A very cold busy day. Game did not start too good, a staff came and gave us a hard time because couple of players did not show up on time so we proceeded as instructed by the staff but came back and said that we should have waited...then at 16 hole, one of the cart's battery died on me. but good thing we finish the 18th hole before dark. May not go back here again.

Waste of time

Rate was not what I booked from tee time. $18.00 extra because I didn’t want to share COVID cart. Tee off says green fee is $52 for practice balls, cart and 18 holes. They say nope. It’s $70 and add $10 for the practice balls. Really!!! $80 does not look like $52 to me. And that’s a weekday rate?? Would be different if it was a plush course.

I will not play here again for a while.

Tee times

I will open by saying, I live within 15 minutes of this course and I play about 125 rounds a year. With that said, I will never give any green fee money to this course again. Its poorly run, I had a tee time on 31st at 9:50 am but didn't get to play because I was a single player, I did have a reservation from golf now but they simply overlook it to take car of their friends, this wasn't the first time I've heard of this happening at this course. I have been playing a long time, I realize this happens everyday at nearly every golf course. To sum up please don't play this golf course or book a tee time before 12 o'clock if your not a friend of the staff. Good luck.

Commented on 12/28/2020

Thank you for playing and sharing your review with us. We appreciate your support and look forward to seeing you again.

Commented on 12/28/2020

Really good shape compared to most courses this time of year

Enjoyed the round. A little slow at first, but pace picked up. I really don't like holes 1 & 10... too tight. But the other 16 are fine. Worth the drive.

Good risk/reward balance

Really nice layout in the hills with some elevated tees and fairways that allow you to hedge bets or be aggressive to score. Players need to be better about ball mark repair but greens are quick and roll pretty true. The finishing hole is really beautiful. I managed to par it going the long way around without tempting fate on the narrow landing left side. Friendly staff. I've only played it a couple of times as it is a little bit isolated but well worth the visit.

Terrible Experience

Normally I have a great time but the staff made this a bad experience. It has been raining the past two days and I called the course to see if it was open, cart path only, etc. I asked to speak to someone in the pro shop and the lady refused to transfer me. I asked if the course was open and she said yes even though it was a down pour all day. I asked if it was cart path only and she said she didn't receive any notice stating otherwise. I asked if I could either get a rain check or moved to another day and she said no. She said if I didn't play, I would forfeit my payment I made online. I arrived an hour early and was checking in the the guy in the pro shop told me he was closing early. I told him I drove an hour each way to play and I called prior to my arrival to see if the course was closed. He said I talked to their call center and they didn't know what they were talking about. He went on to say the range was closed and that he wan't allowing any golf carts on the course. I asked him what he expects me to do so he was frustrated and said he would give me a cart to play 9 holes and have me check back in and he would give me a refund since I made the drive. So I agreed. I played 9 holes and checked back in and he told me he wasn't giving me a refund because I had prepaid. He said my options are to continue to play in the down pour or call it a day. It was clear he backed out of his promise to I told him he won't be leaving nor closing early as I would play another 9 holes and that I would never be back. He told me we were even.

Commented on 12/28/2020

Sorry to hear about your poor experience. We hope that we can do a better job for you in the future.

Always consistent condition

Castle is always in very good condition. The greens were really fast, playing here again tomorrow

Greens

Greens need a little work, some dry or dirt patches, very fast too!

Commented on 12/02/2020

Thank you for playing and sharing your experience with us. We appreciate your support and look forward to seeing you again soon.

It's been better

Having played the course on two other occasions, my wife and I were excited to play it again. The amenities needed ALOT of help. Our past experience was of a well maintained club that exemplified everything you'd expect from a golf club. Clean and well maintained practice areas, carts and facilities.
Our experience: The cart was not well maintained and cut out at the 9th hole and the bathrooms were as bad as any old time gas station bathrooms...if I were Joe Biden, I'd have to say C'MON MAN! Please clean, sanitize and deodorize your bathrooms and ensure your carts are clean, and operable....Don't let these things take away from a very nice golf course.

Great place to play

Had a blast. Always a great place to play! Looking forward to playing again

Commented on 12/02/2020

Commented on 11/20/2020

Thank you for playing and sharing your review. Hope to see you again soon!

Rancho Murieta, California