Style Traditional/Links

University Ridge Golf Course is just 15 minutes from the University of Wisconsin campus and downtown Madison. The course's name comes from the defining feature of the landscape, a remnant of the last retreating glacier. The course is perched right where the Wisconsin Glacier stopped, providing the backbone of the ridge that divides the terrain into clusters of hills and valleys. Robert Trent Jones Jr. designed the golf course with distinctly different front and back nines that make it feel like you are playing two courses in one. The front nine plays across grassy meadows, featuring contoured fairways and generous landing areas. Wind will definitely be a challenge on this more open nine. In contrast, mature trees frame most of the holes on the back nine. The golf course finishes with two of its toughest holes: a long par 3 over water and then another long hole, a par 4 that plays uphill.

University Ridge Golf Course

Year Built 1991

University Ridge is my favorite course in this area. It's will laid out and always in excellent condition.
I do, however, often find the check in people cold and unfriendly. As far as amenities go, today I wanted to get lunch at the turn and was informed my only option was a hot dog or brat. There were a lot of people on the course and I don't understand why the kitchen couldn't have offered a wider selection.

Not worth the money

The course was set up to be very difficult the day we played. Greens were extremely fast and very difficult to read. Roughs were approximately 4 inches deep making it difficult to locate balls not on the fairway. Having worked at a golf course it looked as if the staff rushed to complete the mowing as the lines were made as if the mower was drunk or on a cell phone. I'd much rather play 2 courses for $50 than pay $100 ever again for this one. Obviously paying for the name because i've played many courses with much better conditions. Staff was friendly. Clubhouse is beautiful with a great view.

Immaculate

The course was amazing. Challenging, both tee to green and the greens themselves. Was in beautiful condition and the greens were smooth and putts rolled true.

Top notch!

One of the best courses in the area. One of the best University courses in the country!

Greens running 13

Course is in prime condition, but set up for a PGA Event. By far the fastest greens in Wisconsin, and the rough is the thickest I’ve played in. Very tough to break 90 even if you are a 5 handicap

My first time at University Ridge

University Ridge was the 1st of 4 rounds of our 24-man buddy trip that also included a stop in Lake Geneva. I can say that all of the group was overwhelmed with joy and high praise for U. Ridge when we got done. The one consistency between both 9's is the need for a little course knowledge so being a first-timer I had to make some educated guesses. The front 9 is open and has more of a prairie feel with a few native grass areas that are in play off the tee. My favorite was the back 9 that winds through wooded areas and has a good blend of risk/reward to it. I can't rate this course high enough on my list of Wisconsin public golf courses and the amenities were also 2nd to none with a spacious practice area and a large clubhouse. Kudos also to the staff who was very welcoming and friendly to our group.

Virginia Advisor

One of the Better Collegiate Public Golf Courses

University Ridge offers a great challenge, impeccable conditions, and a fair price. It's easy to see why it's the pride of Wisconsin college golf courses.

From the carpet-like fairways and smooth greens to the well-maintained bunkers, tees and rough, URGC raises the bar on course conditions. It was a joy to play on and the weather on this day was perfect.

The design offers a variety of holes and shots, making the course a fair challenge and really encourages you back to improve on your missed opportunities. It's not overly flashy or gimmicky, just a straightforward and well-executed RTJ Jr. design.

The price reflects the course and its conditions but is far from overpriced. If I lived in the area this is a course I would treat myself to at least once or twice every year.

Iowa Advisor

One of Wisconsin's Best!

Wisconsin has some of the best public courses in the country. Everyone talks about many of the big name courses, and they often overlook University Ridge near Madison, which belongs with the other courses in the pantheon of Wisconsin Golf.

University Ridge is home to the Wisconsin Badgers golf team, and also hosts an annual Champions Tour event. The course is challenging and presents great variety over the 18 holes. The front 9 is a bit more open with native areas and marshes as the main defenses. The back 9 weaves it's way through a wooded area and is absolutely stunning.

As host to a Big 10 golf team and a Champions Tour event, you'd expect the conditions at University Ridge to be perfect, and they really are. Unfortunately for our group, the greens had been punched in the last 2 weeks, so they weren't as fast as I was expecting but they still rolled true. When I played here in 2017, the greens were some of the fastest and best I'd ever played. I suspect that is the normal condition.

The fairways play firm with good roll-out. The rough is fair, but thick, meaning it's not easy to play from, and the sand in the bunkers has great consistency, and the perfect depth.

Every golfer I've asked about University Ridge has a favorite 9 holes, given that they are so different. I definitely prefer the wooded back 9 to the more open front 9. I just like how the trees frame-up the holes.

University Ridge is an incredible value compared to many of the other top courses in Wisconsin. It's fun and challenging, and I can't recommend it enough!

My favorite hole is #10, which is a downhill par 4 that is just so pretty. It's also really difficult, but fair.

Beautiful

The course was in great condition! The greens are fast but we were expecting that due to the professional course that it is! Loved the course and will be back !

Best College Golf Course Experience

I had high expectations for University Ridge, and my expectations were surpassed. UW has great chipping and putting facilities, and the range is great. While the front 9 and back 9 are completely different, it Ian easy to see why UR is the 3rd ranked college course in the nation. While obviously not on a Winged Foot level, I gave UR 5 stars because I was excited to play, and I still cannot wait to play it again. I also want to go play around on the practice area again. The amount of creativity you can use to practice can really make improving fun.

Incentivized Review

GOLF OUTING WAS PERFECT

I helped organize a first ever golf event, DRIVE FORE CURT. Curt passed away due to his battle with KIDNEY CANCER. Curt was our next door neighbor and his family and our family bonded from day one. Curt and his wife Debbie ended up being GodParents for our son Ryan. Curts daughters were very involved in sports and thus we attended all their games. After Curt's passing, his daughter Kristin said - Dad we're going to have a golf outing in your name. Kristin sdaid, STEVE...WILL YOU HELP ME? I did. We held iut U-RIDGE, home of the university of Wisconsin mens and womens golf teams. Curt loved golf. This was Curt's favorite. The course layout, the management of our event and in specific Andrew Bacon was first class all the way. We plan on future events for Curt and we plan to be at U-RIDGE again and again and again. Thanks you Andy and your entire staff. Your course and your people were superb

Verona, Wisconsin
Verona, Wisconsin
Madison, Wisconsin
LAKE GENEVA, WI | Discover Lake Geneva’s premier must-visit destination at Geneva National Resort & Club. Located off the wooded slopes and shores of Lake Como, the semi-private Geneva National presents 54 holes of legendary golf designed by Arnold Palmer, Gary Player and Lee Trevino, along with on-course lodging at the Cottages & Suites at Geneva National.
KOHLER, WI | Enjoy 2 nights’ accommodations at The American Club or Inn at Woodlake, and 3 rounds of golf at Blackwolf Run and Whistling Straits courses.
KOHLER, WI | Enjoy 3 nights’ accommodations at The American Club or Inn at Woodlake, and 4 rounds of golf at Blackwolf Run and Whistling Straits courses.
STEVENS POINT, WI | Enjoy 1 nights' accommodation at Holiday Inn Express and 2 rounds of golf at SentryWorld Golf Course.
Savor the marvelous destination that is Northern Michigan and enjoy up to 36 holes a day during the long summer days! Our Boyne golf package features exceptional flexibility and selection thanks to two of the state's finest multi-course golf resorts.