Style Links
Birdwood Golf Course

Year Built 1984
Fairways Zoysia Grass
Architect Lindsay Ervin (1984) Pete Dye (2005) Mark Love (2020) Scot Sherman (2020) Davis Love III (2020)

Carts Yes - $30

Golf School Academy Yes - "Birdwood Golf Academy"
Golf Simulator Yes

Credit Cards Accepted Amex MasterCard Visa Discover card(s) Welcomed

Meeting Facilities, Banquet Facilities, Spa

INCREDIBLE

One of the best golf courses I've ever played & I've played everywhere! Hard to describe just how great the golf course layout & conditions were this afternoon...but after hearing rave reviews from some friends...I finally made the 4hr drive from Pinehurst & am so glad I did!!! Hope it stays this good for years to come- guys in the pro shop we're fantastic & the bar/grill had a nice patio! Very impressive facility...if I lived in Charlottesville I would have joined immediately after my round- JP

WOW

Conditions and layout were pristine! Played with some very nice members who told me I am welcome anytime I make the trip from Northern Virginia. Easily the best conditioned course I have played this year. Will try and play 3 to 4 times a year. Davis Love did a helluva job.

Great experience on and off the course

I played 36 holes on July 5. My wife and I were at the affiliated Boar’s Head Resort. I was first off in the a.m and played in 2 hours. The 2nd 18 took about 4.5 hours but I was paired with a member and we had a great time.

The course is beautiful and in great shape. I believe Davis and Mark Love re-did the course. Challenging from the Cavalier (tips) and Black tees and yet friendly enough from the Blue (2nd 18) and White (1st 18) tees.

Pro shop staff and starters very pleasant and professional as were the 2 young ladies working the breakfast shift at the grill.

I think the only way you get to play this course if you are not a member, UVA faculty, student is to stay at the resort. If this was not 2.5 hours away from my house, I would join.

Flat lander

Ok so my title is flat lander is because I am from Orlando Fl and use to plating gentle rolling to flat courses so this course has some decent grade change to make double check your club selection. So we have have lots of water on the courses in Florida and Birdwood has roughs that you think you find your ball but forget. Count that one as gone. With that being said I really enjoyed playing Birdwood.

Love the new Birdwood. Much improved.

Tar Heel Davis Love did a nice job upgrading the UVa golf course, replacing all but three holes of the old layout and modifying those three significantly. The zoysia fairways are great, the fairways are wide enough, but avoid the high grass waste areas.

The course is walkable, but quite hilly, with some long gaps between holes on about 5 occasions.
There are 2-3 holes where course knowledge is essential, particularly 8 (don't hit more than a 5-iron off the tee!), and 3. A fun par 71, with 5 par 3's, and a back nine with three each of 3's, 4's and 5's.

Love says the course looks like it's been there forever. That's not actually the case, as the scars of earth moving and tree clearing are evident. But there are some classic lines throughout and I look forward to the course really maturing. The elaborate putting green is a fun treat, but the 19th hole options are pretty pathetic, unless you care to take a jaunt over to the Boar's Head Inn itself. The beverage cart served pulled pork BBQ sandwiches, so first time the food on the cart is as good as the bar.

I look forward to getting back to Birdwood!

Exceptional layout tarnished by pace of play

Outstanding renovated layout and course was in excellent condition. However, pace of play was unacceptably slow with no marshals to govern compliance. Starter and front desk specifically stated that fivesomes were not allowed but witnessed one and that contributed to slow play. Enforcement of “ready golf” with marshaling would be beneficial. Also, was never offered opportunity to play through even though we waited at least ten minutes on almost every hole and foursome in front had one hole clearance for most of round. Won’t play again unless first group out.

Anonymous

Birdwood

Great course. My first time playing. I talked to starter and he gave me some great tips.

Challenging, tricky greens, and not friendly to a first time player.

This is UVA's home course, so it's no push over. The breaks on the greens were subtle and always seemed to be right at the cup, LOL. The GPS on the cart while accurate didn't help much with where you wanted to land the ball. They have changed the course routing, so my garmin GPS and the arcos system my playing partner were using were totally lost. Left enough shots out there, we both wanted to have another crack at it some other time.

Played course a month after reopening last year. Just beginning to develop good grass in fairways. We played today approximately 8 months later, course is in excellent shape. Great layout and challenging design. One of my favorites in this area

Cart policy during COVID

Avoid this course. They paired a fourth with our threesome and told us that we would be forced to share a cart with someone that was not member of our group/household. If you value your health and saftey choose somewhere else to play.

Great course from blue tees

Abfew more short par 4s then Nwoukd like but a fun track to play. Much better layout than old course.

Cart Path a Bummer

This is a beautiful course in really nice shape. Challenging greens and respectable layout.
We had a group of 2 foursomes with some elderly good players.
We were not told of the cart path rule until we got to the first Tee. That was not good !

Davis Love redesign

Enjoyable round despite the intermittent rain. Zoysia fairways were new and friendly. Use caution on no.8....lots of ways to make a double or triple bogey. Excellent finishing holes...16-18. Only negative were three holes with blind drives that required caution to avoid hitting into players.

Keswick, Virginia