Golfers can truly experience High Sierra golf at its finest at Coyote Moon Golf Course in Truckee, not far from the busting town of Reno. Located more than 6,000 feet above sea level, Coyote Moon is a delight for the senses, as the well-maintained fairways lead to blissful, panoramic views.

Part of what makes Reno and the High Sierras an outstanding golf destination, Coyote Moon was designed by former PGA Tour pro Brad Bell. This is a course that will challenge every level of golfer, and many make sure their vacation plans include a stop at this wilderness wonderland of a golf course.

With 18 scenic holes that overlook the Sierra Nevada ridgeline, Coyote Moon Golf Course gives players a true challenge. Because while the high altitudes will add distance to drives, the many trees will add a serious challenge, as will Trout Creek, which meanders throughout the course, With great service and conditions, Coyote Moon is a High Sierra gem.

Coyote Moon Golf Course

Fairways Blue Grass
Greens Blue Grass
Golf Season May - October
Architect Brad Bell (2000)

Credit Cards Accepted Major credit cards are accepted.

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in California (2018 #7)

Course pace

Todays play started off nice. As time went on pace slowed up n course Marshall did nothing to move it along. The 4 some in front of us wouldn’t tee off until players ahead of them were off the hole. It was unacceptable. We asked if he could say something but he said there were folks still on course ahead of folks in front of us. Not true. Very unpleasant round. After 4 n half hours we only got through 16 holes.

great layout

Great layout and location. Customer service a bit to be desired. 1st time playing there (new to area) and felt like I was a bother for asking questions. Pace of pay dreadfully slow. 4 hour 50 minute round. No driving range which is certainly not advertised. Will likely play it again and "give it another chance".

Staff was great, beautiful course with a great layout. Thought the greens would have been faster, but they weren’t slow by any means.. played well so didn’t seem as hard as it’s rated. Looking forward to playing there again.

CMGC

Course is challenging with a couple “quirky “ holes. Well maintained and with playing.

No cart service on course
No breakfast menu
Ordered a Brat at the turn and it was undercooked (cold in the middle)

Beautiful course above truckee

This was my first time playing at Coyote Moon and I absolutely loved it the weather was amazing and the course conditions were amazing.

Coyote Moon Early Season

Fairways and tee boxes were in good shape for this time of year. The greens were extremely slow and bumpy in a lot of places. I believe the course superintendent will have this problem solved by late June. According to sources, most courses in the Truckee area were adversely impacted by the winter.
The staff is always terrific and accomodating.
The on-course beverage cart did not make the rounds as expected. The clubhouse grill is limited.

Beautiful layout

Course conditions right now are really bad not worth playing $140. Course just opened up after winter break so greens and fairways are in bad shape. They are saying it will get better in a month or so.

Winter greens

Wait till June to play. Incredible layout. The greens are still in winter shape so I would wait till June to play. Must play course

Fun And Challenging

Very fun and challenging course conditions where pretty good for this time of year I recommend!!

incredible layout,ridiculous fairway and tee box conditions

I'm sure when this course is in pristine condition its amazing,but when we played they must have just punched tee boxes and everything but greens(they were in good condition).Huge(and I mean huge)grass plus were left everywhere but the green so drives hit these and bounced off whatever way or stopped on them.Right off green there were so many you had to chip or spend 5 minutes clearing them out of the way to put.Tee boxes you had to walk up onto them and look for markers as they had been removed to punch and were lying off on the backside of tee boxes so we replaced them and swept off the plugs so we could tee off.Pace was close to 5 1/2 hrs and I'm guessing this is why,even a perfect drive in middle of fairway could hit a plug and bounce hard left or right were it could roll off into bushes.Then there was of course the maintenence guys doing doughnuts on the tee boxes trying to break the plugs up with a screen they were pulling(didn't really work to well) we still had to kick them off were we put tee in.But I must say I was VERY disappointed they did not point this out prior to booking cuz I would have played elsewhere till this was in its regular condition so I could have enjoyed it.we finished last hole about 6:38 and could barely see and it was cold,think we were close to last cart in cuz guy followed us to car to grab cart right after we unloaded it.Very scenic and probably an amazing course to play when clean,but they need to be more forthcoming about conditions prior to play or give a discount cuz 100.00 for that was complately ridiculous.But The Grizzly the next day for 75.00 made up for it and one of the most amazing courses I have played in pristine condition.....amazing

Super Fun, but Took Forever

Beautiful views. Fantastic location amongst tall Tahoe pines. Well kept course. Smooth and fast greens. But 5+ hours for a course over 100 bucks. That was the only bummer. Other than that ... Wow!

Worked for me

Can't beat the area. In the beautiful confines of Truckee "forest." The pace of play slowed a little on the 13th hole, but it still was moving nice! Gorgeous scenery. FRESH AIR. Tough course even for the best. First time played and I WILL DEFINITELY be back. Best course I played in my life due to the course location.

Great course, terribly slow play.

Course was in fantastic shape but I was only able to finish 14 holes through 4 hours when darkness hit. The on course ranger made it a point to tell the last several groups we should go in on the 12th and 13th holes despite not trying to speed along anyone in the group last ahead.

Everything else was great but I wouldn’t tee off in the afternoon as it gets really backed up.

Slow Play and Poor conditions

4 of us were on a research trip to evaluate golf courses for our club as travel destinations. Its 4 hours from our location to Truckee/Reno. While the course is picturesque and the staff friendly, we were very dissappointed to find that half of the fairways were being aireated, leaving huge plugs all over the fairways. It was nearly impossible to hit a fairway shot due to the plugs all over the fairways. Also, the pace of play was very slow. We allowed a 2 some to pass us on 9, caught up with them on 13 as they were waiting for the group ahead. The Marshall came by and asked us if we knew why the people 2 groups ahead were playing so slow--isn't that his job? We had hoped to finish 18 in under 4.5 hours, but decided to leave after 16 after almost 4.5 hours and we had a 4 hour drive ahead. Maybe this isn't the norm for the course, but we played 2 other courses around the Lake and had much better experiences.

4.1952333333
Resort/Semi-Private
Olympic Valley, California
Kings Beach, California
Tahoe City, California
TRUCKEE, CA | Enjoy 2 nights’ accommodations at The Ritz-Carlton Lake Tahoe and 2 rounds of golf at Old Greenwood & Gray’s Crossing.
TRUCKEE, CA | Enjoy 2 nights’ accommodations at The Cedar House Lodge and 3 rounds of golf at Old Greenwood, Gray’s Crossing & Coyote Moon.
RENO, NV | Enjoy 2 nights’ accommodations at Whitney Peak Hotel and 3 rounds of golf at Old Greenwood, Somerset Country Club & Grizzly Ranch.
NAPA, CA | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at Silverado Resort and Spa and 2 rounds of golf at Silverado Resort and Spa North & South Courses.
SONOMA, CA | Enjoy 2 nights' accommodations at Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn and 1 round of golf at Sonoma Golf Club.