The Preserve at Jordan Lake Golf Club

Year Built 2002
Architect Davis Love III Paul Cowley (2004)

Driving Range Yes, hitting balls from grass
Practice Hole Yes

Credit Cards Accepted Visa, MC, AMEX
Walking Allowed Yes, during non-peak times
Dress code Proper Golf Attire Required. No Denim. Collared Shirts Required

Very Nice Course - pace of Play was SLOW!

My first time at The Preserve and the course was very nice. Boarders on somewhat challenging to very challenging (played from the Blues at 6600 yards). Big greens with multiple tiers so you have to get on the right tier. Tree lined wooded fairways - so hit it straight. But the pace of play was terrible. Teed off at 9am as a 4-some, had another 4-some in front of us. Had to wait on every hole, and every shot of every hole. by 7, we could see that a hole had opened up in front of the group in front of us. Saw the ranger at 9 - he said it was not so bad and maybe 2 of the 4 in front would quite at nine. That did not happen and the back nine was worse (time wise). 4:50 minutes is too long when the group in front is not keeping up with the group in front of them. Otherwise, a very nice course and I will try again hoping for quicker play.

Commented on 09/04/2020

Thank you for your 3 star review and the feedback on your experience! I will spend some extra time with our outside staff to make sure our pace of play is consistent with 4:15-4:30 minutes.

Excellent Layout

Had a very good first experience at Preserve. Layout is great. Mid August conditions weer very good. This time of year all NC courses are working on greens and greens were recently verdicut. As such they were somewhat slow but very true. Should be great in 2 weeks. I definitely will be back.Pro in shop was not friendly. Grill personnel was very friendly.

Commented on 09/04/2020

Thank you for your 4 star review! Our Director of Golf Dan Swomley would like to hear more about your experience.

dswomley@thepreservegolfclub.com

Commented on 09/04/2020

Thank you for the 4 star review!

Good track - curmudgeon-ish members...

This place was good in so many ways - tough course, good conditioning, excellent greens, tons of variation in elevation - not a place to walk unless you are pretty good shape - very hilly... So mostly positives but there were 2 pretty large negatives:
a) there were no prisms in the flag poles so shooting them with laser was pretty frustrating
b) there was a group of members behind us (7:40am tee time) that were in such a hurry that it really took away from the enjoyment of the round. I mean EVERY time I got ready hit my shot from the fairway and looked back at the tee box there was some dude who was ALWAYS standing there with his hands on his hips like we were in his way - it was pretty annoying. Oh well I guess those guys are everywhere sometimes ha ha though it was not a very nice welcome to his club :-) and we played in less than 4 hours easily... Maybe come back someday but it wont be very soon unfortunately...

Brian
Thank you for the 4 star review! However our Director of Golf Dan Swomley would like to hear more about your experience.

dswomley@thepreservegolfclub.com

Diamond in the Rough

Everything was wonderful from pace of play to layout/ design and feeling like you’re never playing a hole twice. The greens were in great shape and really rolling well. Just beware that on tuesdays they do maintenance to the driving range so if you play early (9:20am or before) it might not be available, which myself and the gentlemen I was paired with, who is an actual member, was unaware of. However, the starter was able to coax the grounds crew into setting up just enough for us to have a couple swings before we tee’d off with a free bucket as well.

Commented on 08/21/2020

Thank you for the 5 star review! You are correct we close the range every Monday at 3:00 PM for maintenance and try to have it open Tuesday mornings at 9:00 AM.

Commented on 08/21/2020

Thank you for the 5 star review!

Great Layout

Need to get the sand back in the greens that you can actually hit out of and some carts that were made in this century. Otherwise, great course. Very long and the greens were a handful.

Commented on 08/21/2020

Thank you for the 5 star review!

Commented on 08/21/2020

Thank you for the 5 Star Review!!

Commented on 08/04/2020

Thank you for the 5 star review! We are glad that you enjoyed your experience!

Nice Course,, Great staff,

This was a very nice course that is tucked away at Lake Jordan. I grabbed an early tee-time and was paired with 3 men.. I was the only one of the 4-some who played all 18 holes. This is a challenging course because of deep soft roughs ( it’s easy to plug your ball), strategically placed forced carries over streams and gorges. The course winds between houses - but it was easy to keep the ball in play . I lost 1 ball on a 90 yard forced carry over a gorge— my partner lost 13! . I played the round in 3hours 45 minutes. I never saw anyone in front of or in back of me. I suggest you bring your own snacks because the dining options are not great and there is no place nearby to eat.
The staff was very friendly and the starter made my golf day very enjoyable

Commented on 08/04/2020

Thank you for the 4 star review! Your assessment of the course is very good, while tough it is a very good layout! We do apologize for the limitations of our food and beverage selection, we have been short staffed and have since improved our operations.

Commented on 08/04/2020

Thank you for the 4 star review! How can we help to make your next visit a 5 star experience?

Commented on 08/04/2020

Thank you for the 5 star review! We look forward to seeing you for your next round!

Commented on 07/13/2020

We are glad you had a great experience and thank you for the 5 Star review!

Commented on 07/13/2020

Thank you for the 4 star review!

Independence Day Round

The course was in great shape and pace of play was the.Best I have ever experienced at this course. First time I have ever heard the starter emphasize pace of play in the many rounds I have played here. First time playing a round here (as part of a foursome) in just about 3+ hours. Saw the beer cart twice but never saw a ranger. Only negative on the day was the starter picked up my remaining practice balls when I went back to the cart to get a couple of more clubs. Will keep coming back as long as pace of play stays fluid...

Commented on 07/13/2020

Glad to hear you had a good 4th! We have been working hard to accommodate all players and get them around the challenges of our course in a 4-4.5 hour pace. We will continue working on this and we look forward to your next visit!

A difficult beauty

This course is nestled in a gorgeous neighborhood with deer roaming around. I am a consistent 90s golfer and this was a difficult course for me. Rated 75. I will go back though. Greens are firm, sloped, and slow making them difficult to read. No problems with pace for us. Rough had rocks and inconsistent species of grass. Tight fairways with few true driver holes from the white tees. Based on the pace comments I would tie this with course difficulty. We played mostly from the fairway and the front took over 2 hours. Carts were gas powered and weak. I would have expected electric but this was a great trade off considering where the course has invested in it's golfing experience. Not a good course to walk. Very long and there is no walker path. Service was great and amenities would be nice if there was no covid. I will go back and recommend this course.

Commented on 07/13/2020

Thank you for the very honest and helpful assessment of our course! We are glad you had an enjoyable experience and we will work hard to continue to improve!

Value, Beautiful, Difficult, Gas carts

I don't play off a handicap but shoot in the 90s with great consistency. This course was flat out punishing. Rated 75. Will do better next time but on a bad day these fairways are very tight. Very few driver holes. Slow greens that look fast are really confusing. Aside from that, staff was friendly, homes that line the course are nice, and practice facility and course condition was near perfect in the fairway. The rough is not well kept. It has rocks and inconsistent grass species. Course is not walkable in 4 hrs as holes are very spread out. Loud gas carts with low power was a let down but its a good trade off considering where they have invested and it's beauty takes your mind off a high score if only for a few moments.

Golf Now?

Booked w/Golf Now, but treated like a 2nd class? Here is the story:
Arrived 45 min early, didn’t want to hit range balls, So I told the pro that I’d go out whenever convenient for them. He says, oh no, you are Golf Now, you need to wait for your group time. Ok, no problem. Putting around I note only one group go out during the 45 min. Then my time arrives. They gather up all the Golf Now guys and send us out together, then they immediately send 4 singles out after us. Duh! We played our round in 3.5 hr. Despite letting four singles play through. They could manage it so much better.

Commented on 07/03/2020

Thank you for the 4 star review, I will talk with our staff and make sure we are treating all players well and the rules are the same for everyone!

Durham, North Carolina