Rutgers University Golf Course

Year Built 1963

Dress code Proper attire is required, including closed-toe footwear with non-penetrating or spikeless shoes.

• Golf Advisor: Top 25 College Courses in the U.S. (2020 #22)

On a College Campus 7

KUDOS to the maintenance staff!

Course was in great shape! greens were probably the best i putted all year included several private courses and all for $39 walking, I have never seen the course in better shape. Looking forward to going back. Not long enough to be overwhelming hard but challenging enough with the greens.....Really....go play!

They do a great job ensuring the golfers have a great time and are safe

First Time-Very Good

This course was very nice. I had heard good things about it, so my friend and I gave it a try. We were not disappointed. Great conditions for November. Great layout, and a bunch of fun holes.

For the right price, don’t miss out on playing here. It’s worth it.

Rain from#2

Since it rained we only played 8 holes
Looking for a refund as they didn’t allow carts on course

Commented on 11/03/2020

Hi Sean. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Please feel free to reach out to our team in the pro shop for further resolution in this matter. Thanks for visiting Rutgers University Golf Course. We hope to hear back from you soon.

Fun layout

Its a fun layout, lots of doglegs and blind shots to make up for being a fairly short course. I'm not a long hitter, but I hit from the black tees. On a few hole you can't grip it and rip it because you get yourself in trouble. Most fairways are pretty wide and par 3s are all pretty gettable, none are crazy long. In the summer a number of fairways were a swamp but they seem to have bounced back. Tee times are easy to find during the week.

Rangers? Nah - No Interest in player safety. Police had to be called!

I emailed the listed course manager before posting this and gave her days to respond. She declined, no out of office message etc. Don’t spend your money here - go to a course that values you as a patron and a human being.

I’ve been playing golf for 20+ years and have played this course about 50 times. It is a nice golf course - no question about that. Pre-Covid they were usually up your behind about pace and the Rangers would ask you on the course when you tee-d off and then have a checklist to see if you needed to speed up or slow down.
This Saturday 10/10/20 they had zero rangers on the course - and the starter was a young student I would assume. I often go out as a single and whether I’m by myself or paired with others I go out of my way to treat the course and my fellow golfers with respect. If I get paired with people like the day before at SkyView in Sparta - we generally have a great time.

So I’m playing by myself for a $24 twilight walking only rate on a Saturday so I was expecting to wait. All the rates at this time were walking only. No worries - I played back and patiently waited SEVEN HOLES before passing a foursome with one horrible golfer and 3 average golfers as they played their recovery shots on a par 3. Everyone has tough holes - no shame in throwing a ball in the fairway to get going. Meanwhile I was +2 through 7 and having one of my best rounds in recent memory. This was thrown out the window on the 9th tee.

After I passed this foursome the next foursome just tee-d off so there was a decent gap between the group behind that I passed. One guy went left so he had to get back to the fairway before I could tee off. I was likely going to head in after this hole. As my ball was tee-d up - horrible golfer approached me on the tee box and announces I can’t pass them. He actually got very close - a bit tilting in Covid times. He claims I would slow them down. I’m a single hitting 250 yard lasers up the fairway (today! - I wish every round). So I said OK - I’ll go play 10 but I’m walking up the middle of the fairway so enjoy the wait. This was just a crass joke and I was going to the treeline in about 30 seconds. As I’m in the middle of the fairway and only 10 yards off the tee box - horrible golfer runs to tee up and ball and hit a drive while I am right there. I warn him not to hit the ball. He hits it anyways. This is extremely dangerous and reckless.

I called the course on my phone and there was no answer. I approached the pro shop and it was empty. Not an employee in sight. So I did what nobody ever wants to do - I called the Rutgers police since the RU golf course is not capable of managing their own operations. So me and horrible golfer give our statements to the police. In some bizarro world - the guy’s golf mates defend his actions and claim I was lying. I literally was laughing out loud in disbelief. Then the course supervisor decides to make an appearance. I tell him he should ban the guy from the course or at a minimum for the day. His solution - offer me a refund. He refuses to call his boss. So yep he thinks it’s ok for a guy to purposely tee off 10 yards from someone directly in front of them.

The Police were very nice. I drove home and did what any golf loving junkie would do - I booked a hour at the Golf Cave and smashed more drives.

Commented on 10/16/2020

Hello and thanks for leaving us a review and providing feedback of your recent round. We would like to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced and are sorry to see that you rated the course 1 star. Please know that we take golfer feedback very seriously at our course and will work to make the necessary changes by using your comments as guidance in doing so. For further resolution in this matter, please feel reach out to our management team at (848) 445-2637. Thank you for contacting us at Rutgers University Golf Course, we hope you'll come back and join us again for a better experience in the near future.

RU

This course is pristine all the time. Tee boxes, fairways plush and bunkers excellent. It's a joy playing this course in June as well as October. Best thing is they keep you moving and can count on a 4 hour round for a foursome.

Nice time

The greens were in good shape but very soft. Hot the approach high and it stays where it lands. Not a lot of obstacles too play around but there were a few holes that were challenging. Fairways were good and the weather was terrific to play. Overall it was a very nice time.

Good shape

The greens fairways and tee boxes were all in good shapes as were the bunkers !
Many area courses need to improve their sand traps,
Our 3 some were behind a walking 4 some so it was slow going at times but overall a very good day

It’s. Fall

Aeration of fairways. Greens were soft playable. Rough was not penal. Greens fees a Little steep for walking .
Overall it was good played with great bunch of guys. Need to play better on back nine. Alma mater needs to take better care of alums.

Piscataway, New Jersey