A view of a hole at Sea Trail Golf Resort and Convention Center

Sea Trail Golf Resort - The Dan Maples Golf Course

Year Built 1986
Greens A1/A4 blended Bent Grass
Architect Dan Maples (1986) Michael Gleason (1986)

Golf School Academy Yes - "The Mel Sole Golf School at Sea Trail Golf Resort"

Single Allowed Yes
Walking Allowed No

Save your money and kidneys

This once great course has fallen into disrepair and the staff doesn't seem to care. The clubhouse was empty, the bar/restaurant doesn't open, no cart attendants and worst of all were the cart paths. It was mind blowing how bad they were.

Commented on 06/17/2021

Hello, u314161716653. Thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for your experience during your round. This is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. Thank you for choosing Maples at Sea Trail Golf Resort and Convention Center.

Commented on 06/09/2021

Hello, pshaw13. We appreciate the review. You rated us 3-stars which means there is room to improve on your recent experience at Maples at Sea Trail Golf Resort and Convention Center. Let us know, in the comments, how and where you would like to see changes from the course. Thanks for the feedback!

Resort 18 at SeaTrail

Decided to play the Maples course at SeaTrail after reading reviews on GolfNow. Was anticipating very slow play on a weekend, but pace was actually very good. Design and layout of course is challenging and keeps you interested. Greens are Bent grass, and were in very poor shape. Understand that this course is closed during the heat of summer because of bent grass and I can see why. Also big drawbacks are the cart paths and general lack of maintenance of the fairways. You can readily see that when this course was built, they took the cheap route and used blacktop for the cart paths rather than cement. Now, after decades of use,. the cart paths of course are in TERRIBLE shape. Broken, cracked, and in many cases missing chunks of cart paths are on every hole. As for the fairways, you can see they are only doing the bare minimum to keep the bermuda grass alive. Edges of all fairways are dying and are mud which is creeping slowly but surely inwards.

Enjoy the "Maples" twists and turns, but when not maintained, its just sad. Valiant to have Bent greens, but realistically, they just don't work. Need to replace greens with championship bermuda, replace or recover cart paths, and sod much of the fairways. Great setting, with many very nice homes on fairways which are in fact better maintained than the golf course!.

Since golf and fresh air was the escape for the pandemic, not sure what SeaTrail did during the past year. I live in a golf community in NC, and our club made money hand over fist during the past year.

This course needs ~$5M to bring it up to just acceptable level. Sad, but I'm sure they won't spend it.

Commented on 06/01/2021

Hi, Leclarks2030. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass on your feedback to the teams in charge so they can work to make changes. Thanks for visiting Maples at Sea Trail Golf Resort and Convention Center. We hope you'll give us another try in the future.

Excellent for the money

$40 round and the course was outstanding!! Don't hesitate

Commented on 05/25/2021

Hi, u314161586581. Thank you so much for the great review. We are glad you had an incredible time, and we hope to see you again soon! Thanks for choosing Maples at Sea Trail Golf Resort and Convention Center.

Commented on 05/07/2021

Hi, jimbo71458. We would love to hear more about your 4-star experience on our course. Please tell us what we can do to earn that last star, and thanks for golfing at Maples at Sea Trail Golf Resort and Convention Center!

Had a great round

Good pace of play, rewarding course for good drives. Everybody needs a course like this close to home!

Commented on 05/07/2021

Hello, u000005603978. Thank you for visiting us at Maples at Sea Trail Golf Resort and Convention Center. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

Great Views but Needs Work

Course layout is great but Fairways and 2nd Cut needs some work. The grass was non existent or very thin in most areas.

Commented on 04/27/2021

Hi, Jreed1120! Thank you so much for leaving us with your feedback. We value our customer experience, so your review is important to us. Please know the current conditions are by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We will continue to work towards a 5-star experience and we hope to see you back!

Drive slowly on the "cart paths"

The course was empty, after a busy morning, and I went out as a single as the twosome I had been paired with did not show up yet. Front nine was empty and I played well. When on #9 I could see a group on the 10th tee, so I made a few extra putts , before making the turn. When I got to 10 tee, there were 4 carts and 8 players in the fairway, a tee shot away??? Rather than waiting for possibly 16 more shots, as it was a long par 4, I decided to jump ahead. I did not want the back 9 to take 3 - 3.5 hours. As a single I understand I will have to wait sometimes, but that was ridiculous, especially within view of the clubhouse. Not sure if this is a policy of this course to allow large groups to play together, or perhaps they were members playing some sort of competition on a slow afternoon, but I have never seen that before.

I did catch a threesome one hole later, but they moved along at a good pace, and I was happy to slow down a little, and take a few extra shots, or putts and not push up on them.

Enough of that, I did find the staff to be very friendly in the pro shop, the cart guys and the starter. Around the 15th hole a ranger came by and I told him I was going to play #10 before going to 17 and 18, and he was fine with that.

Over all the course was in average condition, tee boxes, fairways and greens were average. The rough was very thin hard packed dirt, not bermuda, and lots of leaves, pine cones, branches etc. to penalize some shots that missed the fairways. The worst part of the course were the cart paths.

Commented on 04/27/2021

Hi, rmharz! Thank you so much for leaving us with your feedback. We value our customer experience, so your review is important to us. We will make note and we hope to see you back at Maples at Sea Trail Golf Resort and Convention Center!

Commented on 04/14/2021

Hello and thank you for your 5-star rating, hjmac! We're delighted you enjoyed your round. Please book another round with us soon, and thanks for choosing Maples at Sea Trail Golf Resort and Convention Center!

Nice layout

Mostly wide fairways and not much water in play.
A couple of fairways were very wet
Greens were outstanding and the starter went out of his way to be friendly and helpful
Overall a very nice day of golf

Commented on 03/31/2021

Hello, nauaump. Thank you for visiting us at Maples at Sea Trail Golf Resort and Convention Center. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

Nice course, but ...

I liked the layout of the course and could see it being a fun place to play, but overall we were a little disappointed. Booked an early tee time, and were alone for the front nine. When we made the turn, we see they had sent people off the back and suddenly we were behind several groups. The foursome in front of us were particularly slow and made no indication of letting our twosome play through. We finally just drove past them and skipped a hole entirely. Their poor golf etiquette isn’t the courses fault, but sending groups off the back when groups are also making the turn wasn’t great.

Commented on 03/30/2021

Hello, u2526828. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars, but we hope you'll give us another try in the near future. Thanks for choosing Maples at Sea Trail Golf Resort and Convention Center.

Wass'up?

Forgotten step sister of the other two here at Sea Trails???

Commented on 03/22/2021

Hello, drivethegreen99. Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We see you rated the course 2-stars and are interested in learning what we can do to improve for your next visit. We take customer feedback very seriously at our course. Please reach out to our team in the golf shop and tell us what's on your mind. Thank you for playing Maples at Sea Trail Golf Resort and Convention Center.

Commented on 03/30/2021

Hello, ron1226. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars, but we hope you'll give us another try in the near future. Thanks for choosing Maples at Sea Trail Golf Resort and Convention Center.

First Time Play

Maples course was a great fit for first time play at Sea Trail. Will definitely play again and try the other coursed there.

Commented on 03/16/2021

Hello, u314161232607. Thank you for visiting us at Maples at Sea Trail Golf Resort and Convention Center. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

Wet but fun

Course was still very soggy after rain 5 days ago, but not bad if riding and dont mind walking from cart path. Greens were fast but consistent and fair. No driving range or check in at Maples, so I waited and eventually drove over to the other clubhouse when I figured it out...maybe I missed where it says this information? Staff wanted to charge us $40 extra dollars when the random stranger I was with said he would like an extra cart because he has a health condition and didnt want to ride with a strange due to covid. $40....wow...scam alert! It was empty, Im sure they couldve spared 10 extra carts.

Commented on 03/16/2021

Hello, garrett5372434. Thank you for visiting us at Maples at Sea Trail Golf Resort and Convention Center. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

Other than marshy conditions due to all of the rain we have had,,it was great. The greens are like putting on a pool table.

Commented on 01/27/2021

Hi, u314160262484. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Maples at Sea Trail Golf Resort and Convention Center.

Course was in great condition with all the rain we have had lately. Had six holes where it was cart paths only. greens were very fast. Just a little tap needed. Still enjoyed very much.

Commented on 02/22/2021

Hello, u314160262484. Thank you for visiting us at Maples at Sea Trail Golf Resort and Convention Center. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

Commented on 06/01/2021

Hi, Jeff2705311. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Maples at Sea Trail Golf Resort and Convention Center.

Commented on 05/25/2021

Hi, u923323960. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Maples at Sea Trail Golf Resort and Convention Center.

Singles have No Priority

Lay out was OK, no blind shots & everything is in front of you so no surprises. There are 150 yd stakes in the fws but found no distance markers on sprinkler heads so some guesswork. The greens had patchy poa annua but overall decent & few spots w no grass. Teeing areas were not poor but below avg Played as single, starting on back 9 & whizzed through the first 5 b4 slowing to near stop behind a 4some of elderly gents. Other groups ahead of them prevented playing thru so as a single I held no priority & they could’ve cared less. Course meanders thru residential area & fws tight in many places & run out sooner than looks. Shorter hitters should not play anything beyond whites, could be more enjoyable moving fwd n tee selections. The par 3s r longer than avg there, the 4s range from mid 300s to over 400 & for linger hitters (250+) there are opportunities to reach the 5s in 2. Greens smallish for “resort” style course & have some elevation changes & undulation so bring a good set of eyes to putt well!.

Commented on 04/27/2021

Hello, 2DudesTony. Thank you for visiting us at Maples at Sea Trail Golf Resort and Convention Center. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

Request A Vacation Quote From Fore Myrtle Beach
Please provide your information below and a staff member at Fore Myrtle Beach will be in contact to help you start planning your travel.
Sunset Beach, North Carolina
CHARLESTON, SC | Enjoy 5 nights' accommodations at The Francis Marion Hotel and play 4 rounds of golf at Links at Stono Ferry, Dunes West GC, Charleston National Country Club and Rivertowne Country Club.
KIAWAH ISLAND, SC | Enjoy 5 nights' accommodations in a Resort Class Villa at Kiawah Island Golf Resort and play 4 rounds of golf at Osprey Point, Turtle Point, Cougar Point and Ocean Course.
HILTON HEAD ISLAND, SC | Enjoy 5 nights' accommodation Omni Hilton Head Oceanfront Resort and play 4 rounds of golf at Fazio, Hills and Jones Courses at Palmetto Dunes, and Country Club of Hilton Head.
HILTON HEAD ISLAND, SC | Enjoy 5 nights' accommodations at Sea Pines Golf Resort and play 4 rounds of golf at Heron Point, Atlantic Dunes at Sea Pines Resort, Arthur Hills Course at Palmetto Dunes and Hilton Head National.