Tustin Ranch Golf Club

Year Built 1989
Architect Ted Robinson, Sr. (1989)

Caddies Yes

Honest review from a 7 handicap golfer.

The course is in good condition even in the winter months. I had a early tee time of 6:50 and teed off by 6:53. Pulling into the lot I could see a decent amount of cars in parking lot and I knew it was gonna be a crowded day. Clubhouse is nice. Staff is friendly. Carts are nice.

Cons: this might not bother everyone’s, but it frustrates the heck out of me. You can barely travel on the fairways before the cart tells you to go backward.. One time i was on a hill and it said I couldn’t move forward...where the only way to get off the hill was to go backwards down a very steep hill . Pretty dangerous. Technology is cool and stuff, but the fact it’ll lock your cart 115 yards from the green (no joke, I was 115 yards away from the green and it wouldn’t let carts go any more forward on the fairway with nothing but fairway grass infront of you) and won’t let you go forward is frustrating. No golfers like it. I saw many golfers having to slowly back up to get back to the cart path. It’s a pain in the buttt.

If you like fast play I’m not sure this is the course for you. A lot of people walk the course and it’s prone to elderly. Even with a 6:50 tee time and never having to wait to hit shots, My round was still 4 hours.

I ended up shooting an 80. The course is challenging but not demanding. I was scratching my head at the greens sometimes with the amount of steep hills they had. Almost like why would you even want that on a course. I’m not talking about just a downslope or an upslope. I’m talking about slopes on greens upward of 50-60 degrees. Seems a bit much and redundant. Also the greens don’t bite very well. They were a bit sandy and I saw from previous reviews a month ago that they were sandy so they haven’t cleared that up yet.

Overall the course was fun to play for my first time. Not a long course from the blues. Many times I can play it safe with a hybrid and hit 220 off the tee and be 140 yards and in on the next shot. Some fairways are tight. Par 5’s are reachable in two with a good long tee shot. Would play again but not going to make it my home course.

Anonymous

What a disappointment

I will always have issue with a course that does not mention variations to the norm when you check in. First, the course was limited to cart path only. Understandable with the recent rains; however, the entire course was completely dry at the time we played and this should have been disclosed upon checking in. Additionally, the greens are in terrible shape and as a result they are growing attempting to grow out the grass on the greens, so that they can properly repair them. Completely understandable, but again, something that should be told to the player at check in. The ball could barely move on the greens throughout the course. It was almost worse than playing on punched greens.

For the money I paid, I was expecting so much more. The customer service was lousy as well and no staff member throughout the entire round - pre and post as well - ever approached us to even bother is we needed anything.

There are some amazing courses in this part of town and some are even better priced. Do yourself a favor and go elsewhere.

Bad cart

Make sure you get a cart that’s fully charged ours stopped before the 14th hole took 30 min to get us

walkers were snail like, in speed.

Not sure why they allow walkers ahead of carts,???and some of the greens were in really bad shape, painfully slow on the back 9 ....removes any rhythm you might have. 9 and 18 are tough holes. tough round for premium price I expected better. There did not seem to be anyone policing the playing time of some.

Anonymous

Potential is there but terrible greens ruin it

For the advertised price of 135$ this course Tustin ranch should be out in jail for robbery. However, I will give them credit because they obviously know the condition and gave me a discounted rate of 75$ upon arrival at the pro shop. This course has potential to be super nice but the greens are absolutely atrocious. I had to clean off my putter due to sand after every putt, and due to the firmness and patchy greens there was a lot of cleaning happening. I think 50$ for this course is the max they should be charging with a warning that greens are not good and in serious repair mode at this time. I won’t be back again unless they seriously improve the green situation.

Such an elegant treasure!

We four fun golfers spent very fun day , even we didn’t finish 18 holes since too dark.

Greens - Not Much

Booked on GM for what was a great deal knowing we wouldn't be able to finish 18 before dark. Course is generally in good condition but the greens were in bad shape. There was no arreation we were aware of but the condition was less than average. Would go back for sure.

Worst greens ever!

I have been golfing for 25 years and this course has the worst screens I have ever played on. And to charge $100 to play this course is a travesty. The greens have so many dead areas with no grass it is unbelievable. And the grass that is there is so uncut that it was impossible to putt without swinging very hard. I never leave reviews but I just had to after this round. You have been warned.

Close the course and Fix the Green first

It was the one of the top golf course but the most green burnt out and so slow. Green Condition is the most important for the golfer since you may use your putter more than once in each and every hole. You can put better in the fairway than the green here. This must be the management issue who neglected aeration and sanding on greens right time. It is easy to delay or forget the most important maintenance and ruin 5 star golf course to a horrible one.

This is the first time I played here since the 1990s. The course is in excellent condition, except for several greens which were not so nice. Overall it was excellent though. It helps that I shot my lowest score ever today too!

Greens in Bad Shape

For $115 I would expect the greens to be at least average. About half of them were in terrible condition... a lot of disease. the 16th green was unplayable. The greens that were visible from the clubhouse were in good condition, but not the rest. It's hard to enjoy a round of golf when you can't putt on half of the greens.

Anaheim, California