Style Desert

When the architect Rees Jones created the golf course at the Legend Trail Golf Club, he created a golf course that brings out the Old West-style air of Scottsdale and a fun and testing golf course with greens made of bent grass. It's a premium golf course smack dab in the Sonora Desert.

The golf course at the Legend Trail Golf Club features broad fairways, diminutive bunkering and tees placed on islands, and has been called one of the Top 100 golf courses by Golf Magazine. The magazine also gives Legend Trail 4.5 stars out of five among its

Best Places to Play, and has one of the Top 100 Woman-Friendly Fairways, according to Golf For Women magazine. Panoramas include local sites like Pinnacle Peak, and a round at Legend Trail Golf Club gives all levels of golfer several different shot-making options.

Golf a late-afternoon round on Friday or Saturday, and head back to the Trail's End Grill from 4 to 6 p.m. for specials on drinks and appetizers.

Legend Trail Golf Club

Year Built 1995
Architect Rees Jones (1995) Forrest Richardson (1995) Greg Muirhead (1995) Jack Snyder (1995)

Pull-carts No

Golf School Academy Yes - "John Jacobs Golf School at Legend Trail Golf Club"

Dress code Collared shirt required, no denim

Clubhouse, Meeting Facilities

Constant booking issues

Booking through Golfnow almost never works. You almost always get a checkout error. The course needs to resolve this. I wonder how much money they are losing when golfers are unable to book.
Staff in the pro shop could be a little more customer service focused
The course itself is wonderful. Amazing condition and fun to play. Bring your A game because errant shots will be punished.

Lack of professionalism with Ranger and inside personnel.

My wife and I decided to play legend trail on Memorial Day weekend because I work six days a week and love playing golf so she wanted to to enjoy the day with me. She had never played there and I told her it was great course. Well that was a mistake! Everything was fine when we teed off and on six there was a twosome that was allowed to go out after our foursome. We got paired with two nice guys but there were less than good players and hit a lot of balls in the desert. I ask the guys to let twosome go through even though there was a foursome in front of us. They chose not to go through at that time. At the turn our playing partners decided to get hotdogs that were not ready so they had to be prepared my wife and I go to the 10th tee to wait. The started comes and tells us to go ahead and tee off and the other twosome will catch us up in the fairway. However at this time the twosome Behind us catches up and then asked us to play through so we allowed them to play through, then we hit our two shots and proceeded to the fairway. We waited for them to clear the green then we hit our shots up and still waited for twosome. The twosome cleared the green and we proceeded on and our twosome caught up to us on the green. Everything was fine till we got to the next whole where the twosome was being held up by group in front of them. On 13 the ranger decides to tell us to pick up the pace when there was no where to go. Then on 14 he decided to come and tell my wife she needed to pick up because she hit a ball in desert! Now mind you my wife shot 87 that day and only hit two balls in desert all day and that was because he was stalking us through shrubs and staying back about 150 yards total making her nervous and uncomfortable. I am former pro in valley as I have worked at Troon north, Lookout mountain and Athem country club! I have played over 1000 rounds in this valley and my wife is better than most and we have never been treated like this, ever! They playing partners were upset we were upset and it was all because he wasn’t told what had happened on ten when we waited for people getting for there was no where to go and we had to wait on the twosome that we let go through earlier on 16, 17 and 18. After the round I spoke with the ranger Tom lano and all he did was smirk at me which I took very offensive and wasn’t listening to a word I was saying He even told my wife and I he was taking pictures of us in the desert. Then a couple minutes later he changed his statement and said he wasn’t. My wife said to him which one is it? You just lied and said you were that got her to crying and very upset and I had few choice words and I went in to talk to the asst and all he could say was are you a resident I can issue you a rain check. He was so ill prepared to deal with situations I told him no I don’t want to rain check I will never come back to legend Trail and I will never spend money at your facility. And I will not recommend anyone else to play there and I have lots of friends to play golf. That kind of behavior is not acceptable on a golf course.

Playable Track

Would have been nice to not have to share a cart with a stranger. The course was wide open and starter insisted I share a cart. Nothing to do with COVID…just thought it would have been nice to ride alone.

Please fill sand traps ... with SAND

Course was in very good condition, except for its sand traps ... which are many. Most have course/crusty, rocky gravel; while some only have a dusting of the above. Why not differentiate LT from the other area courses by actually using refined, white sand in all these hazards? It would definitely elevate LT to a new standard.

Its tough

1st time playing in the desert. Was a little disappointed that it wasn't greener. Fairways and greens we kinda spotty with brown patches here and there. Bunkers ok.
I'd play it again if I found a hot deal

Not What I Expected

I thought Legends was going to be a beautiful golf course. Instead, I found a rather normal golf course that charges High Rates. This Golf Course charges premium fees yet the sand traps are horrible with hard as rock sand. The Greens were in pretty good shape. Beverage Cart was readily available and that was good on a hot day. If you live close by, play this Course. If you have a decent drive to get there, it is not worth the commute.

My favorite course of all time

Beautifully manicured course with a great feel and layout. Excellent practice facility.
A few cons: Expensive except in summer. The course is difficult. It feels like you are rolling the dice every time you have driver in your hand with desert on both sides of every fairway. Accuracy is more important than length.

Resort/Semi-Private
Resort/Semi-Private
Scottsdale, Arizona

PHOENIX/SCOTTSDALE | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at The Boulders Resort & Spa and 3 rounds of golf at Troon North Golf Club Pinnacle Course, The Boulders South Course and North Course.