A sunny day view of a green from Hills Course at Red Hawk.

The Resort at Redhawk is known to golf travelers around the globe and is one of the highlights of the grand golf destination that is the High Sierra. Located in the town of Sparks, next door to Reno, the Hills Course is one of two 18-hole runs at Redhawk and draws raves for its challenging play and incredible scenery.

Designed by three-time U.S. Open champion Hale Irwin, the Hills Course offers players a Scottish links-style layout that has small and dastardly greens, dramatic elevation changes, deep bunkering and immaculate views of one of the most scenic golf destinations in the United States.

While the Hills Course is a must play in the Reno area and will challenge long hitters with a 127 slope rating, Irwin added another touch to the resort. A unique, 18-hole putting green will have players competing, all the while improving their putting game, helping to make Redhawk and the Hills Course a standout in the High Sierra.

Red Hawk Golf and Resort - Hills

Year Built 2005
Golf Season Year round. High Season: 5/6 - 10/15
Architect Hale Irwin (2005)

Dress code Collared shirt, no cutoffs.

Bar

Dinner 9
Playing Multiple Courses 15

Capitalizing on Covid

This is a decent course even though the staff is almost always rude. Their latest move during the pandemic is to force singles to share a cart with other singles they don't know. They just bought all new carts, which are nice (except no club cleaner on cart) and they're obviously trying to recoup their investment quickly.
So if you're a single, and you're worried about Covid, play somewhere else.

Red Hawk Hills

Course was in nice condition, some traps were bare.

Good shape

The course is in very good shape, the air was very smokey.

smoky but still fun

The course was in great shape and fun to play, but the fires in the Sierras have made for difficult times this summer. Smoke was bad and impacted the entertainment value.

Course in great shape and just the right amount of challenge.

I enjoyed the play and the course was well maintained. A couple of thoughts:
1. Smoke in the area was choking and was a distraction. Some information in advance of play on how to mitigate personally would be a good touch.
2. Because there is no getting back to the club house until after the round is over, a kiosk or portable snack/drink vendor between 8 or 9 or after 10 would be a great treat especially during the summer. Cart around the course was ok if timing was better for some of the groups.

Great day for golf!

Course is in great shape, staff was awesome. Had a great time. Defiantly will be back!

The hills have ayes

Thoroughly enjoy playing this course while in Reno. Must have cart ( included)

Great track! Saw antelope on 10, great experience while playing. David's grill has exceptional food too. Only issue, no outside food or beverages....never saw a food/beverage cart the entire round:(

Awesome course

First time playing and it was a blast. the hills is challenging but played to me and my friends skill set. I would definitely recommend it to anyone!!

What a disaster

First of all I’ve been hearing for years about how wonderful this course was I found it to be average or a little bit below. If it wasn’t for golf now I would never have booked a reservation for over the $33.55 I paid a round of golf at this course is not worth more than that! First off there is no communication upfront when you pick up your cart on what you were allowed to bring with you or what you were allowed to carry in your cart nor is there any communication about how many carts you are allowed to have per person or if you have to share a cart if there’s only two people. When we finally got to the point to check in with the last person at this little booth before we entered into the course we got stopped by an older gentleman who was very standoffish and somewhat sarcastic. He demanded that we share a cart I was playing with a friend who is a much larger individual and I am not small in any way shape or form. I also had a cooler with water and a sandwich inside I was told that wasn’t allowed on the course. The attendant made me drive all the way back to the cart lot where, I then had to carry my cooler all the way back to the car where I pad to park about a 1/6 of a mile away from where the carts were at bc they are all gps controlled and won’t let you drive outside the cart path before the course. Not sure why that is but I’m guessing they don’t have much trust in their community and or customers. I Found this very frustrating and inconvenient to the fact that there is nobody communicating this to you before you get to the last point of return before you play golf so I had to turn around and make an extra trip there and back because they don’t manage the property very well. So after I returned from dropping my cooler of water and food back off at the car because the tiny cooler they give you can only fit maybe three or four water bottles in it and that’s it, i finally reached the cart again. I asked one of the cart attendants if it was true that we weren’t allowed to have our own carts I explain to him that my buddy had not been vaccinated yet and I didn’t feel comfortable sharing a cart and also we are two bigger men and it’s just not practical for us to be sharing a cart with each other and I did mention that our reservations was a pre-paid per person and we were each entitled to a cart in the description on what we paid for from the golf course on the Golfnow app The cart attendant nicely explained that that shouldn’t be a problem just explain the situation to the guy at the desk where I had been sent back from before. I finally returned to the last point before we started to golf again where my friend had to wait for 20 minutes while I was dropping everything off and returning to this desk with the attendant who seems to be managing who enters the golf course and not doing a very good job at it because we got stuck behind three groups of people and one was a group of five not letting anyone pass the entire time we played the course I found that there was a few twosomes in front of us at times just laying in the shade at the tee box waiting for the 5 group of players all playing together to move on. Well I never once saw a Marshall on the course until the 17th hole and then he was very polite enough to come up and ask how we got stuck behind a fivesome and I told him I was just about to ask you the same thing isn’t this your course! He replied very humorously, that’s so much to tell him this isn’t Bushwood (caddy shack reference). Anyways I still had fun, My partner left after the 12th hole because of how slow the play was and he just went home I stayed and finished, still as irritated as I was for many reasons with how this place was run; I found the most frustrating part was the carts don’t make any noise when you are entering an area that the card is going to shut down because it is considered out of bounds or areas they don’t want you driving the cart like into the rough approaching the rough on the parallel fairway. Several times my cart got stuck and just shut off and I had to push it for 30 or 40 yards with just deadweight going up a hill several times I looked up at the screen to see if there was any indication I was driving in a close area to where I wasn’t supposed to be and there was no warning, no noise, nothing! Honestly I will not be returning.

Good combonation

Good job by this course playing well to members, locals, and travelers alike.

This course offers a bit of challenge without getting frustrating. It also offers beautiful surroundings, GPS guidance, and resort style features.
Of course we have seen better overall experiences but those come at a heavy price. I would say this compares with courses that command $100-$125 per round. I am not suggesting they raise prices. They still don't offer car valet, club washing, bag service, airport shuttle, misting stations, and other service related offerings. They are good at what they do.
The service was also top notch with the sole exception coming from the starter who copped an attitude over another employees decision.

Great greens

This course was beautiful… first time playing it the greens excellent……. Fairways are great …. Loved the layout…… played in the afternoon and the wind blew about 30 so be aware……

Great day for golf

Course was in great shape, greens were awesome, staff was great, I'll be back!!

Windy

We have played the Hills course the last three weeks. It's in as good of shape as any course in town.( It's still May) It was windy and it was the Hills course, it is a good course and we got a good deal on a windy day.

Golfing

Great day, nice price thanks to golfnow. The Hills was in.great shape, friendly staff as always, all around beautiful day for golf.

Reno, Nevada
RENO, NV | Enjoy 2 nights’ accommodations at Whitney Peak Hotel and 3 rounds of golf at Old Greenwood, Somerset Country Club & Grizzly Ranch.
TRUCKEE, CA | Enjoy 2 nights’ accommodations at The Ritz-Carlton Lake Tahoe and 2 rounds of golf at Old Greenwood & Gray’s Crossing.
TRUCKEE, CA | Enjoy 2 nights’ accommodations at The Cedar House Lodge and 3 rounds of golf at Old Greenwood, Gray’s Crossing & Coyote Moon.
NAPA, CA | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at Silverado Resort and Spa and 2 rounds of golf at Silverado Resort and Spa North & South Courses.
SONOMA, CA | Enjoy 2 nights' accommodations at Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn and 1 round of golf at Sonoma Golf Club.