Lions Paw

Year Built 1990
Greens MiniVerde Grass
Architect Willard Byrd (1990) Nai Chung Chang (1990)

Bar, Grill, Restaurant

• Golf Advisor: Top 25 Most Improved U.S. Golf Courses (2021 #16)

Commented on 01/11/2022

Thank you very much for the nice Four Star review of Lion's Paw. We truly appreciate it and we hope you will come check out the other Big Cats courses as well!

Commented on 01/11/2022

Thank you very much for the great Five Star review of Lion's Paw! We are so excited for 2022 and beyond! Be sure to come check out the other Big Cats courses as well.

Lions Paw Shoutout

My first time on Lions Paw will not be my last. Interesting layout. Course in good shape. Friendly staff.

Shout out to Rick and Rick Jr whom I was paired with. Great guys and made for a terrific day.

There is some over seeding going on but in general, the course is in good shape. They have several sets of tees which helps for all skill levels.

Commented on 11/22/2021

Thank you very much for the nice Four Star review of Lion's Paw. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to seeing you again soon! If you get the chance, be sure to check out the other three Big Cats courses. All of them are moving in a very positive direction and we are excited about the coming year and beyond!

Great pace of play

Mid morning tee time on a holiday and the course was crowded. Got paired up with a very nice guy. Sent off the back 9. Finished round right at 4 hours. Course in good condition. They overseeded for winter, greens ran true., traps could use some attention, of course I could avoid them if I was more accurate with my approach shots.

Commented on 11/22/2021

Thank you for the very nice four star review of Lion's Paw. We have been working very hard on all of the Big Cats courses and it is so great to see all of the positive feedback! Be sure to try the other three Big Cats when you get a chance. Thanks again!

Commented on 11/22/2021

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to Lion's Paw. We appreciate the nice four star review and we we hope you will come visit us again soon.

All I dreamed…..

Been awaiting my chance to play this for years and iit was great.

Commented on 10/20/2021

Thank you so much for the nice Five Star review! We agree, Lion's Paw, the original Big Cats course, is still one of the favorite layouts of many longtime golfers. We hope you will come visit us again soon and check out the other Big Cats!

Great course for the money!

Course condition has improved greatly since playing here a year ago.
Greens were a little slow but in great shape.

Keep it in the fairway

Course is in good shape considering the storm that came through a few weeks ago. Greens roll true , but are a little spongy (soft) feeling. Ruff is just that! Ball sets down and hard to find if your off track. Very friendly staff !! Cart paths are in very bad shape so stay up the side of the fairways. Will play here again

Commented on 09/21/2021

Thank you very much for the great Five Star review of Lion's Paw. We truly appreciate it! We have been working diligently to continue to improve all of the Big Cats course and we are glad to hear all the hard work is paying off! We also had planned to address the cart path issues last year, but the pandemic-related difficulties have caused this project to be delayed. We expect to resume that restoration process very soon. We hope you will return soon and see our continued progress.

The course is in fairly good shape

Course was well worth 37 dollars on golf pass hot deals

Commented on 09/21/2021

Thank you for the nice Four Star Review of Lion's Paw. We are working hard daily to continue to improve all of the Big Cats courses and we are excited about the reminder of 2021 and beyond! Please come visit us again soon and see our continued progress!

Humrickhouse Review

Course in less than average condition. Greens recently aerated & terribly slow, to the point of being almost unplayable. They were not mowed. Obviously not enough invested into course maintenance, & maybe not enough money to put into the course.

Commented on 08/24/2021

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent round on Lion's Paw. We sincerely apologize we were not able to meet your expectations on this visit. I know we had a very heavy rain shower on the day you played, and another shower the day before, which likely contributed to the slower than usual greens speed. In general, Lion's Paw has received solid reviews in recent months, with the greens particularly being noted for being in good condition. Again, we apologize this was not the case on the day you played. Despite the many pandemic related challenges we are all facing, we are working diligently on all four of The Big Cats courses and they are all progressing nicely. We hope you will come visit us again and see our continued progress.

Friendly staff-good bones…horrible condition

Wow…the shape this course was in was on another level of bad. Tee boxes were mud, the fairways were awful. Cart paths were indescribably bad. The greens, however, were in decent shape. Think they had been redone.

The course could be really good. And nice layout. It just needs a lot of time and money to get the course there. The check in staff was great.

Commented on 08/11/2021

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to Lion's Paw. We apologize you had the misfortune of playing only a day or two after we received 5" of rain in one day (8/3) Our rainfall for the past 30 days is more than double the typical amount for this time of year. As evidenced by the majority of recent reviews being Three, Four or Five stars, I hope you will agree your experience was somewhat of an anomaly. The cart paths do in fact need work, but this was greatly exacerbated by the massive rainfall, as was the muddy conditions you mentioned. We agree, the greens are actually quite good right now and they were redone just a few years ago. I'm glad to hear you were treated well by our staff, which is always very important to us. We hope you will come visit us again and hopefully will catch us on a much better weather day than your last visit.

Commented on 08/11/2021

Thank you for the nice Four Star review! I'm glad you were able to play ahead of the massive nearly 5" rainfall on 8/3. Fortunately things have dried out well and the course is looking good once again. We hope you will visit us again soon.

Getting Better

Played here back in June & it was in pretty bad shape in my opinion. Fairways were dried and & not much turf, tee boxes were beat up pretty bad.
As of this round fairways were ok, had a lot of crab grass growing in them. Greens were in really good shape & had decent speed to them. Sand traps have grass growing in them and are very hard. But we did see the crew working on them so hopefully they are fixing that problem. Women’s tee boxes were mostly dirt. I’m my opinion use to be one of the best places to play about 3-4 years ago and to me iits just average now.

Commented on 08/11/2021

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to Lion's Paw. We agree, it is getting better daily. Please come visit us again soon and see our continued progress!

Course had potential. Poorly maintained with crabgrass in the fairways and heavy dead grass clippings on the course. The greens were in good condition.

My guess is they have a personnel shortage causing this.

Commented on 07/27/2021

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to Lion's Paw, the original Big Cats course. We agree, the greens are in very nice condition for the summer months. We have aggressively treated the course for any and all invasive grasses and that is improving daily as well. We expect course conditions to continue to improve rapidly through the rest of 2021 and beyond and we look forward to offering our guests an enjoyable and memorable golfing experience.

Very nice place

Tou really can’t beat this place for the money. One of the nicest places are playing in the Myrtle Beach area. The greens were putting pretty well, fairways were in great shape. Not too hard of a course, pretty challenging for all levels I would say.

Commented on 07/27/2021

Thank you for the nice five star review of Lion's Paw! We agree, this is one of the best places to visit for golfers of all skill levels. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Great course in recovery

First time playing here. Staff was exceptional and super friendly. Like others have said, course and homes are recovering from the storm in February. Loved the par 3’s over water and fun finishing hole. Will definitely be back.

Commented on 07/27/2021

Thank you for the nice review of Lion's Paw. We agree, the course is recovering nicely from the major tornado we experienced this past spring, and we expect to continue to improve daily until this original Big Cats course is back to 100%, which should be very soon!

Commented on 07/27/2021

Thank you for the great Five Star review of Lion's Paw! We really appreciate it! We agree, Lion's Paw is certainly one fun course to play!

Aversge

It was a decent price for what you get. The pro shop guy was nice enough but the first impression from the guys in the parking lot wasn’t good at all. The greens rolled fine but inconsistent and the course was in need of a mower in many cases.

Commented on 07/27/2021

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to Lion's Paw. We apologize for the initial experience you described at our bag drop. I will review your feedback with our staff and take whatever steps necessary to address the issue you mentioned. Thanks again.

Challenging but fun

Challenging golf course with friendly staff and service. Love playing at Ocean Ridge when we are down here. Hard to beat for $39. Course was in good shape considering that a tornado recently touchdown in the community.

Commented on 07/27/2021

Thank you for the very nice review of Lion's Paw! We really appreciate it. You are correct, the tornado this spring was devastating to our community, but the recovery process has been amazing and we look forward to continuing to improve the course conditions until they are back to 100%, which should be very soon. Thanks again.

Sunset Beach, North Carolina
CHARLESTON, SC | Enjoy 5 nights' accommodations at The Francis Marion Hotel and play 4 rounds of golf at the Links at Stono Ferry, Dunes West GC, Charleston National Country Club & Rivertowne Country Club.
KIAWAH ISLAND, SC | Enjoy 5 nights' accommodations in a Resort Class Villa at Kiawah Island Golf Resort and play 4 rounds of golf at Osprey Point, Turtle Point, Cougar Point and Ocean Course.
HILTON HEAD ISLAND, SC | Enjoy up to 5 nights' accommodations at The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa and and up to 4 rounds of golf at Palmetto Dunes Golf Club (Fazio, Hills & Jones Courses) and the Country Club of Hilton Head.