Caledonia Golf and Fish Club may well be the preeminent golf course along the Grand Strand. Located on Pawleys Island on the site of a colonial rice plantation, it opened in 1994 to rave reviews from all the major golf publications.

It has all the historical credentials for plantation golf: A Scottish immigrant named Robert Nesbit bought the land in 1797 and named it Caledonia, the Roman name for Scotland. Built upon the site of an authentic colonial rice plantation, Caledonia Golf & Fish Club has captured world-wide recognition for its breathtaking aesthetic beauty as well as its exceptional design. Careful to preserve the natural surrounding, including hundreds of centuries old live oaks, architect Mike Strantz has risen to the top of the most wanted designer list with this, his first solo design.

Year Built 1994
Architect Mike Strantz (1994) Tyler Rae

Golf School Academy Yes - "Dresser Golf Academy"

Snacks, Restaurant

Fishing

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 11

Birmingham Advisor

Strantz delivers

Mike Strantz is a very polarizing architect. Caledonia isn't as imaginative as Tobacco Road, however, it is quirkier than its sister course across the street, True Blue. I'm a fan of Strantz's work. From the moment you drive in through a tunnel of century-old oaks dripping Spanish moss and lay eyes on the antebellum style clubhouse, you just know this is going to be different. There is no driving range here. You must allow for plenty of time to head across the street and use the range at True Blue if you want to hit balls. What Caledonia has, however, is a really cool pitch and putt area with about three holes that really gets your short game tuned up. The course itself eases you in with a rather docile par-4 opener and a gentle par-5 second. The par-3 third yields a green that is extremely deep, allowing for pin placements that can require up to four different clubs. This course has a lowcountry feel, but adds expansive sandy waste areas. Don't just blindly step off into them either, as evidenced by the par-4 7th, where several gators were sunbathing. Take advantage of the reachable par-5 8th, 92-yard par-3 ninth and another reachable par 5 on 10. These are all great birdie opportunities. The 18th is a solid finishing hole. A water hazard narrows the fairway as you move from right to left, so favor the left side. I wouldn't recommend driver off the tee for better players, and you can use as little as a 5-iron that will leave no more than ~150 yards in, depending on the pin placement. This is a memorable approach with the marsh on the right, water in front of the green and the clubhouse backing it. In closing, Caledonia is a must-play in the Myrtle Beach area. It will only continue to rise among the ranks of the Top 100 public courses in America.

Excellent weather

Slow pace of play ruined my Caledonia experience

I'd like to start by saying I think this is a great course. The views are unbelievable. The greens roll nicely. The fairways are nice and the course layout is great. The staff is also very friendly. My experience unfortunately was ruined by the group of 12 golfers playing as 3 foursomes in front of us. In my opinion a round of golf should never take longer than around 4 hours. Because of the 12 golfers in front of us we were out there for more than 5 hours. We consistently waited for at least 10 to 15 minutes on every tee box. At one point the marshal showed up and told us that they were kicking the groups in front of in the butt because they were holding up the course. The group in front of them was about 3 holes ahead which is ridiculous. After he told us that, the round actually seemed to get slower. I'm just sad that it was my first experience on what many people consider the nicest public course in SC and it was marred by slow play. We spent a lot of money here between golf, apparel, and a plaque and it's a huge disappointment. I'd like to go back but I'm really nervous to try it again after this experience.

Excellent weather

Pretty expensive to play but extrememly nice

My group played Caledonia on our way out of Myrtle Beach following the Myrtle Beach World Am.
I think their rate is high but since some had not played there, I wanted to get it off their "to be played" list in MB.
The staff for the most part was friendly and helpful with one exception at the bag drop. Everyone else was fine.
The course was very wet so it was cart path only but that was to be expected. To be as wet as it was, the course was in very good condition. If the bunkers had been just a bit better, I would have rated course conditions as excellent.
The greens were smooth and quick. They held well when hitting shots into them. Greens here are large so you need to hit the ball in the right quadrant on the greens or you will have a long day putting.
Fairways and tee boxes were nice.
We ate after the round in the grill and the food was very good. I had a bacon cheeseburger.

Deserves its Status

This place was beautiful. Fairways and greens were perfection. Not overly long. The par 4's were driver and short/mid iron for most of the group. Par 3's were a challenge especially the famous 9th. This is a course worth putting on the list. It was 90 with high humidity in the Carolina Sun and I would have played 36 if I could have.

Wow

This is an unbelievable course.. Just a gem and I can tell why it's the #1 course in Myrtle Beach. It's a true gem. Great holes and well laid out. Challenging greens and approach shots. Can't wait to come back. Only complaint was the sand traps were hard and compacted wet sand.... This place is to special to have bunkers like that... I know it got a lot of rain but courses much lower tiered then this have great bunkers so Caledonia so definitely have great bunkers. Other then that this course is world class.

A Great Day In Paradise!

I love his course and have since the first time I played it!

I called before booking to check on the greens and overall condition of the course. The very polite and friendly staff member who I spoke with said the greens were "immaculate".. they told the truth. I have played golf for 35 years and have be very lucky to play some dream courses, the greens today were as good as anything I've putted on. The overall condition of the course was very impressive; beautifully maintained fairways (that the ball sits up on) and evenly cut rough that's just long enough to make you think about what the ball is going to do when it comes out. Every hole was a joy to play!

The staff was attentive, friendly & extremely polite. This is public access golf at it's best, and truly great golf experience!

In my opinion Pawleys Island is the best part of the 'Grand Strand', and Caledonia is the best of the bunch. If you come to town be sure to play True Blue, Heritage & Pawleys Plantation as well! Those 3 along with Caledonia will make a truly memorable golf trip!

Caledonia

Loved the course. The drive in begins the day for you. That row with both golf holes on each side feels like you're driving into an old school country club that sticks to the old standards of golf. The day was unbelievable from the chowder being made right on the course to the gators scattered throughout the course. A true original country club that gives you a great feel that you can't find at many other places.

Caledonia Golf&Fish Club

Beautiful golf course
Smooth greens
Fairways roll well
Bring your camera - you will see at least a few gators sunbathing by the water hazards

Overpriced for course conditions

First off, I have played this course for the past 10 years so I'm very familiar with it. I completely understand that its been a difficult winter in the coastal south, and this has hindered the course conditions, but don't charge an arm and a leg to play. Overall the course is very well manicured and maintained around the edges. But the fairways have been in very poor condition over the past two years. In fact, we noticed today that even if you pick the ball clean on your second shots in the fairway you end up with mud all over you. The tee boxes and fairways are painted green to cover the muddy conditions. The greens are actually in good shape and very firm. The staff was very friendly. Overall, not worth coming back to play at these prices.

Atlanta Advisor
Average weather

Beautiful views on a picturesque plantation!

This place is everything you would want in a golf club! You drive into a perfectly manicured entrance to a long, narrow, Magnolia-tree-lined road towards the clubhouse. Almost feels like driving down Magnolia Drive at Augusta National. The clubhouse is a renovated plantation house and has incredible views of the 18th green. The people are first-class and make you feel very welcome. There is no driving range but the practice facility MORE than makes up for that. You can hit almost 100yd shots out there. Greens rolled absolutely perfectly (even at the end of Feb). Everything is overseeded in the colder months which makes it nice to play on green grass. The 150yd markers are creatively made as huge birdhouses so it gives it a very natural feel. Loved this place!

Expensive but great

I wanted to play a top 100 public course and this was a gem. The length was perfect for me as a 200 yard hitter at most. The layout and conditions were superb, and the presentation was beautiful. Not a cheap course, but I'd sure play it again. Great for seniors.

The best

I have been playing golf in Myrtle Beach every year for the last 11 years with a group and I have to say that this golf course is the best golf course in Myrtle Beach followed very closed by the second place private golf course Dunes Golf and Beach Club.
When you get to the property you drive along holes 1 and 10 and between a line of beautiful oaks trees.
The golf course is always in top shape. Heading off to the back nine there is a man in an old chowder shed giving complementary delicious fish soup. That's a wonderful detail. You will love this place.

Good weather

Best low country course in myrtle beach

This course had some of the most scenic low country views of any course I have played in MB. This is definitely the Cadillac of low country courses. Caledonia has a tee box for every skill level, the course doesn't play long from the whites so I was hesitant to play from them however the greens are small and guarded and good second shots are a must so I am glad I did not play from the blues. This is the best course I have played in the myrtle beach area.

A great value

I find it interesting reading reviews of golf courses. It is apparent that most golfers don't know a thing about reviewing a golf course. Founders Club has done an outstanding job utilizing the natural terrain. Much like Pinehurst #2, they designed the course using natural waist area instead of trying to make everything green. I'm sure their water bill/water waist has gone down significantly. I wish other courses will follow their lead and start considering the environment ahead of trying to make a piece of land look like something it should'nt. Anyway, great layout, good greens, fast play and an incredibly friendly staff make Founders a great value!

Commented on 03/14/2017

This is Caledonia....

Over-rated

Course is EXTREMELY over-rated. It's nice, but having played about 80 courses in the Grand Strand I can easily think of at least a dozen I'd rather play again than this. Seriously - no driving range to warm up? OK, the low-country chowder was nice (but not the best - Pine Lakes is better) and some holes were nice, but this course is NOT "memorable"! On the south strand I'd rather play Pawleys or Heritage - and True Blue. And you finish the front 9 on an "excuse me?" par-3 that seems to have been added to fit the driveway? NO!!

Great Course, proud of it!

I truly love this course, I just wish it didn't cost over 100 to play it, even in the off season.

Beautiful course in wonderful condition. I will definitely play here again

I hosted my father as an early birthday present to him- he has always talked about playing Caledonia but would never spend the money. This course lived up to and exceeded our expectations. Conditioning was excellent, staff were all very friendly and helpful. The course is very challenging if you're in the wrong position, greens are pristine. We will be back, for sure.

One of the Grand Strand's best

I had forgotten how good Caledonia was until I got to play it again this October. First off, Mike Strantz was a great architect and this is one of his finest. Secondly, conditioning here is almost Augusta-like. Pure white bunkers, flawless turf conditions and one well-designed hole after another make this one of the most enjoyable courses in the country. Terrific 18th hole and clubhouse.

Wow! What an amazing course and excellent condition!

Played Caledonia 6/7/2013. What an amazing course! During a period when every other course we played were sub par and struggling, Caledonia was in superb condition! The attention to detail on the course is stupendous. Every flowerbed, tee box and green were amazingly manicured. This course is definitely worth the money! Thanks to the ground and club staff; you made a our experience an unforgeable one!!

Semi-Private/Resort