Sun City Lakes Golf Club - West Course
The 18-hole West Course at Sun City Lakes Golf Club is a private course with a traditional layout. The course is quite open and features a few interesting challenges. It is relatively flat, making it nice to walk although carts are available. More advanced players that mostly hit straight balls may not find the course challenging enough, but it is quite enjoyable for beginners and intermediate players. Notable holes on the course are the 3rd, 9th, and 18th since they can be played a few different ways. The Lakes West Golf Course facility, in addition to the course, has practice facilities including a putting green, chipping area, and driving range.
|Red (W)||72||5620 yards||70.6||114|
|Blue M: 68.8/117||376||162||384||319||382||479||165||357||487||3111||383||189||519||371||333||142||495||336||316||3084||6195|
|White M: 67.8/112 W: 73.2/121||364||132||373||306||369||460||147||343||476||2970||367||176||508||363||319||131||479||329||302||2974||5944|
|Red M: 66.0/107 W: 71.0/114||343||106||336||291||352||436||126||327||457||2774||335||163||497||354||302||121||464||323||287||2846||5620|
|Yellow M: 62.0/97 W: 66.3/105||294||94||278||245||308||387||100||225||391||2322||289||140||384||287||264||106||419||255||230||2374||4696|
The man at the pro shop desk was very nice and funny. Got us off early too. Course was very good conditions. Had a very good time. Pace was excellent. Will definitely play it again.
Friendly to play
Pace of play very poor! No player assistant to many 5somes and even a six some. Friday's there should be someone controlling the groups. There were groups of 5 and then a single. NOT MUCH FUN!
When you’re not part of club….
- Decided to do a walk up as a single and apparently that was a mistake. The guy working there starter desk, was clearly asked what was available around 9:30 (it was 815-ish). He pointed out a 950. Not a huge deal, but killing two hours is a little tough and I literally saw on GolfNow there were multiple times before 930.
- After asking about the 915 and 922, magically they were available.
- I was paired with a guy who was nice enough and we headed out.
- Driving range is garbage. Hopefully is just because overseeding is coming.
- Everything else was ok
- We get called to start about 7 minutes early. No biggie. We were basically ready,
- Rolled up to the first tee and waited about 10 minutes to see if there were any others. There “wasn’t,” anyone else that showed up on time.
- We finish up the first hole, after dodging balls from a three some behind us who felt it was okay to hit approaches while we were still on the fairway and green.
- Marshall happened to be driving by as we rolled into the second tee and I let him know, that I bet the threesome behind us was supposed to be with us but started late.
- He went to them and they actually accused us of jumping into the course as one of the residents. Ummmm…neither of us look over 55, and thankfully the Marshall shut that down quickly. Apparently they didn’t want to finish their 9 holes with us, so we rocked on for 18.
- Around the 13th, people who were never behind us started creeping up. The only reason why they were playing fast was they were teeing off from the reds (older men) and were hitting from the tips.
- Dodged an approach without a fore call on 16. Missed us by literally 2 feet.
- Local old folks rule the roost and there clearly is a hierarchy.
Super friendly staff, great conditions and greens, xlnt value for the money!! Gotta love the sun city courses!!
Not the Course's Fault
I have played Sun City Lakes many times and enjoy both courses. My low rating for the Pace of Play was not the fault of the course but of the group ahead of me. Sun City golf courses allow groups of 5 and I knew this before the round started. I was playing by myself and the course was not full. At around the 5th hole, I caught up with the group ahead of me, a five-some. At that tee, the majority of the group had already cleared the tee box and headed towards their balls. One of the group was still at the tee box doing something with his cellphone. After several minutes, he put the phone away and headed for his ball. I say that so I can tell you at least one of the group saw me at the 5th hole. From that point on, they never looked back towards me and did not offer to let me play through. At the 5th hole, a foursome was in front of them but had cleared the green before they hit their second shot. The gap between the group ahead and the five-some continued to grow through out the round. By the time we were on the back nine, the gap was at least 3 holes. I stood within 15 feet of them while 3 of the group hit their their tee shots on the par 3 11th hole. Since I was walking, it was not possible for me to get around them easily to advance to the next hole ahead of them. After the 15th hole I decided to just wait on each of the remaining hole till they cleared the green. The round probably took me at least 45 minutes longer to play then it should have.
Before it heats up!
I've always enjoyed playing most of the Sun City courses. I've played Lakes West at least a dozen times. Decent practice area (large putting green and chipping area by Hole #9).
Pace of play was great. Played the front in about 1hr/40 minutes. Caught a slower 4 some on the back, but still played in under 4 hours.
Tee boxes were recently punched, but no issue. Not much rough in play today. Fairways were also tightly mowed, so wedge shots were all on tighter lies in the fairways. Was in a couple of bunkers and they were in nice shape (good playable sand).
Greens were mediocre. A couple have some "disease" issues where the grass is not growing, and a lot of them were bumpy (but not from punching). That was the worst part of the experience, but to play in the greater Phoenix area in mid June and it was only 91 degrees that day made me grade on a curve.
Overall conditions of course are somewhat dry
... however, the areas around the greens are doing great and the rest of the course will be OK as soon as the aerations, which were completed a couple weeks ago, fill in. Greens are still filling in with bermuda but rolled good considering the aerations. All of the 'cores' had been cleaned from the tees, fairways, and greens ... the staff did a great job keeping conditions reasonable through the transition. Sand traps were GREAT! ... beautiful soft, fluffy, deep sand!
Sun City Lakes West
The course was in decent shape but was very dry. The grass was cut very short and many areas were handpan even in the fairways. Geens and tee boxes were good. I would play again but would check to see if it was allowed to grow out a little first.
Good Sun City Course
I enjoyed my round here. The pace of play was okay even with five in our group. I didn’t realize that they did that in Sun City until someone told me. Course was in fair shape and fun to play. Overall I liked the course and would play there again.
Vanilla Ice Cream
Like vanilla ice cream, the course was good, but could have used a little extra. Pace of play was good, staff was friendly, course layout was kind of plain, course condition was just OK but it was a decent value.
Disappointed with conditions- fairways rate about a 4/10, rough was almost completely dead, like hitting off of bare dirt. Greens fair, but even with the recent rains, barely held at all, and lastly, horrible pin positions.