Empire Ranch Golf Course is located just outside downtown Carson City in the scenic Carson Valley. Empire Ranch features 27 championship holes, making three individual nines that are played in three different 18-hole combinations. Sierra/River is one of the combinations, characterized by lakes and wetlands that are scattered throughout the course. The layout sprawls across the landscape’s natural buffs, offering a scenic environment. All of the golf courses provide a fair challenge for players of all skill levels. In addition to the 27 holes of golf, Empire Ranch G.C. also offers extensive practice facilities including a 300-yard driving range and practice greens.

Empire Ranch Golf Course

Year Built 1997
Architect Cary Bickler

Bar

Playing Multiple Courses 14

Commented on 01/19/2021

Hello and thank you for your 5-star rating, keat0011! We're delighted you enjoyed your round. Please book another round with us soon, and thanks for choosing Comstock/River at Empire Ranch Golf Course!

Commented on 01/14/2021

Hello, u899600140. Thank you for visiting us at Comstock/River at Empire Ranch Golf Course. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

Commented on 01/19/2021

Hello, u314161150904. Thank you for visiting us at Comstock/River at Empire Ranch Golf Course. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

Commented on 01/11/2021

Hi, u855240021. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We see you rated the course 1 star and are interested in learning what we can do to improve for your next visit. We take single star feedback very seriously at our course. You are welcome to comment further or reach out to our team in the golf shop. We always appreciate the feedback. Thank you for playing Comstock/River at Empire Ranch Golf Course.

Best Value in Northern Nevada

This is one of the very few golf courses that is open year round. The $20 per round twilight (noon or after...summer 1pm or after), includes a cart...really hard to beat. Compared to Reno courses, the pace is excellent! A twosome can usually finish in around 3 hours, a foursome in 3 1/2. I live in Reno, but the the 25 minute drive is well worth it! The Staff is always very friendly too!

Commented on 12/03/2020

not bad for winter

the pace of play was good. staff is very good. the layout is also good. for being winter conditions are not to bad. greens are very bumpy

Commented on 12/03/2020

Hi robezra, thank you for your review. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your visit at the course. It's always great to hear nice words about our staff. Please visit us again soon.

Love the staff!

I hit this course a couple dozen times in past couple years... the staff is 99% on point. Super nice and easy going. Re: course... good greens and challenging course design but not too difficult. The main guy in the clubhouse is super cool and accomodating.

Commented on 12/11/2020

Hi u000007170997, thank you for the 4-star review. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your round at the course. It's also great to hear nice comments about our staff. Please visit the course again soon.

Great course, still in good condition. A bit slow today, but always fun.

Commented on 11/23/2020

Hi, mdub191. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Comstock/River at Empire Ranch Golf Course.

Commented on 11/23/2020

Hello and thank you for your 5-star rating, Rockinrmt! We're delighted you enjoyed your round. Please book another round with us soon, and thanks for choosing Comstock/River at Empire Ranch Golf Course!

Fall weather coyrse

It was absolutely beautiful weathet this time of the year

Commented on 11/12/2020

Thank you for your review, aeyon7511. We will pass along your positive experience to our team at Comstock/River at Empire Ranch Golf Course. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Needs more grass on tee boxes and fairways. Restaurant needs to stay open later.

Commented on 11/03/2020

Hello, u855240021. Thank you for taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass along your feedback to the staff. Thanks for visiting Comstock/River at Empire Ranch Golf Course!

Commented on 10/12/2020

Hello and thank you for your 5-star rating, Kennyg45! We're delighted you enjoyed your round. Please book another round with us soon, and thanks for choosing Comstock/River at Empire Ranch Golf Course!

Nice Round, Great Course!

Nice round of golf. Beautiful day. Everyone we encountered were very nice and polite.

Commented on 10/12/2020

Hi u364586490. We appreciate you leaving a review and rating us. We will inform the entire team, so they know their hard work is paying off. We look forward to having you back at Comstock/River at Empire Ranch Golf Course!

The course does make you think a little. If you need a boost in confidence, play here every once in awhile.

Commented on 10/14/2020

Hi, foreeee! Thank you so much for leaving us with your feedback. We value our customer experience, so your review is important to us. We will make note and we hope to see you back at Comstock/River at Empire Ranch Golf Course!

Course condition is pathetic

Overall condition was poor control of watering with SLOPPY areas throughout. Tee boxes mostly weeds of various types. Fairways extremely irregular with clumps of weeds, dry spots and mud spots. Greens were ok but Very slow.
Pace of play was very slow.
Price was low but given all the negatives As noted would not recommend and will not return

Commented on 09/29/2020

Hi, cpfkkf. Thank you for taking the time to review the course. We take single star feedback very seriously at our course. You are welcome to comment further or reach out to our team in the golf shop. We always appreciate the feedback. Thank you for playing Comstock/River at Empire Ranch Golf Course.

Good Value

Beautiful day and it played well (once we skipped around a slow two-some). Staff is always friendly and helpful (even the grounds personnel).

Commented on 09/29/2020

Thank you for taking the time to review us RenoTom. Your feedback is valuable, and we look forward to delivering you excellent service again soon. Comstock/River at Empire Ranch Golf Course thanks you!

Great value for the money, but the course needs TLC

I was actually quite pleasantly surprised for the price. The staff was friendly, the course was laid out nicely, and it was easy to navigate for someone playing for the first time. A few things were a bit frustrating, and I guess this is the part where you get what you pay for. First, the grass was so tall on the course and so in need of mowing, that I lost multiple balls on GREAT shots that went straight on the fairway and should have been a breeze to find. That was quite frustrating, to hit a great shot, spend a while looking for my ball in the middle of the course, only to have to play a new ball. I went through 10+ balls on the course, without hitting any truly egregious shots. And I saw tons of other people doing the same thing, riding or walking in circles, trying to find balls that should have been obvious, in very tall grass. So bring lots of extra golf balls if you play here. Another frustrating thing was that people without reservations kept cutting in. There were two guys who didn’t meet any dress code and had no reservation time who cut right in front of me. When I asked what time slot they had, they said “we don’t have one, whatever.” So that delayed my start time and pace of play which was frustrating. The staff in the pro shop was super friendly but definitely could have used someone out on the course. Overall though, this was the best price i’ve ever played a round of golf for, so I feel like I really can’t complain!

Commented on 09/30/2020

Hi RJTwo. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Comstock/River at Empire Ranch Golf Course.

like the old days

The way courses used to be: no attitude, everybody friendly, including the other golfers, course is in fine shape and the greens are excellent. Every hole is different as they all meander along the Carson River.
Lots of history here, views are insane and so are the prices...my new favorite spot, hands down, and I'm an hour away. Very pleasant and relaxing, from the folks working there -great little restaurant too- to the course itself. Where have I been?

Commented on 09/23/2020

Hi tunatic. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Comstock/River at Empire Ranch Golf Course.

Like playing in a marsh, rude staff

If these guys invested half as much energy into groundskeeping as they do being condescending jerks to their golfers this course could be a Wolf Run or Lakeridge. It was so wet on every inch of the fairways, just full of puddles and torn up grass which was made worse by golf carts. Just ridiculous how wet it was and while we were there they were still watering something, god knows what and why they thought they needed MORE water. We could have caught them on a bad day but that just didn’t feel like the case. Some of the tee boxes didn’t even have a spec of grass, they were just weeds and dirt. The tee times felt very close together and there were a bunch of doubles groups flying through the course. Why they wouldn’t just try to consolidate a few of those groups into 4 to space us out more is beyond me, especially on such a busy weekend. The staff were really rude and were not wearing masks correctly when indoors or talking to golfers in close proximity. They treated us like we were stupid when we’re fully aware of common course courtesy and know how to play. I would go back to pull on whatever sticks are up their butts but I might drown if I ever step on that grass again.

Washoe Valley, Nevada