View from #10 on the Blue Monster

Trump National Doral Miami offers five 18-hole courses, but the Blue Monster is the most well known. Originally designed by Dick Wilson, the golf course has been updated throughout the years by different architects to keep the challenges current. The course calls for strategy as well as distance. The fairways are infamously long and the greens are undulating. There are several water hazards that come into play as well as bunkers and deep rough. The Blue Monster's signature hole is the 18th with its trademark fountain; it was named by GOLF Magazine on of the top 100 holes in the world.

Trump National Doral Miami - Blue Monster Course

Year Built 1962
Architect Dick Wilson (1962) Raymond Floyd Gil Hanse (2014)

Pull-carts No

Caddies Yes

Dress code No Denim, Collared Shirt Required

Snacks, Restaurant

Clubhouse, Banquet Facilities, Spa

Fitness

• Golf Advisor: Top 25 Off-course amenities in the U.S. (2019 #22) (2017 #9)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Friendliest Courses in the U.S. (2017 #18)

Playing Multiple Courses 7
Near the Airport 6

Golf Channel
Excellent weather

Blue is Back and it's as 'Monstery' as ever

Let me qualify my experience at Trump National Doral by saying that I had the pleasure of playing with the owner. As you may imagine, golf with the "Big Boss" has it's advantages. The service was impressive and the golfers on the course ahead of us just "got out of the way." I learned later that everyone we played through got drinks on the house. Donald Trump is very proud of the New Blue. And he should be. Gil Hanse has done a fabulous job of taking a golf course that had one hole you would remember, preserving that 18th hole, and adding 17 more you will remember for a lifetime. The Old Blue was dated, faded, and somewhat boring. The New Blue is an instant classic. The work done here is not simply a new coat of paint. Hanse told me he cut down to the bones and rebuilt the all important parts of the course you can't see. Drainage and conditioning will be dramatically improved. As for the parts you can see, improvements are delightful. Significant elevation changes, large undulating greens, classic bunkering, and strategic design all come together to make this a visually interesting and very challenging golf course. We won't know how the scoring will play out for New Blue until there are couple of Cadillac Championships in the books. My intuition is that scoring will be more difficult than Old Blue but not dramatically so. While New Blue is longer, the greens are more generous and misses on the proper side provide an opportunity to save par. Wind will always be the biggest factor in scoring on this property.

Please note that I rated conditioning as 4 rather than 5. This is due to the fact that grow-in was not quite complete when I played. I think conditioning will be a bit of an issue for the 2014 Cadillac Championship. The greens will likely be inconsistent in speed and firmness. And a few fairways on the back nine are not 100% covered. Apparently, not even Donald Trump can make grass grow quicker. But getting this course to where it is in the short time available is nothing short of miraculous. And long term, conditioning will be outstanding.

When all construction is complete, Trump National Doral will be a true golf destination resort. Serious golfers will appreciate the thought and effort that has gone in to revitalizing this iconic property. Certainly Donald Trump is a divisive character that has more than his fair share of detractors. But even his harshest critics will have to admit that what he has accomplished here is very impressive. Mark my words. Before all is said and done, Donald Trump will be known and respected as a "golf guy." After spending a day with him at Trump National Doral his love of the game is evident.

Top notch course.

Best course in Miami. Impeccable conditions. Super friendly staff. Couldn’t have asked for a better experience!

Blue Monster

Awesome course layout, but conditions didn’t live up to expectations for a Top 100 public track.

Difficult but Enjoyable

I approached my round with some trepidation after reading this site, specifically with respect to the parking and bag drop situation. Fortunately, these were not issues as valet parking took care of the car and delivered my clubs to the cart area. All I had to do was exit the car and walk downstairs to check in.

This is a long and difficult course with sand traps and water hazards everywhere. It is a tough but fair layout that was quite a joy to play. Conditions were hot but the course was in excellent shape, though the greens were a bit slower than you might expect.

A friend of mine had acquired passes for out foursome to play so I can't comment on the price. We did get an exceptional fore caddie (Juan) and tipped him well. Given the length of the rough, he found several balls that we were not likely to have been found.

After the round we had a fairly expensive and tasty lunch in the clubhouse,

If you ever get a chance to play the Blue Monster, take it. It is an experience I still think about fairly often.

Worth every penny

The greens were slow and probably recently air raided...you can still see the sand. Fairways were perfect and the rough was deadly thick. Great course and well kept.

Played 9 holes

Played 9 holes so there golf course refunded half my money. Called and spoke to a customer service rep that said he would call me back and give me my refund. No call. No refund. Not sure if I'll ever get it even though the golf course did it immediately. Not sure about doing business with gn anymore either

Worst resort experience ever on the Blue Monster

First I had to carry my clubs from the bag drop 100 yards to the starters area. Then told to walk over a get my own cart, then loaded my bag on the cart. Then told it was cart paths only ( 85 degrees, 100 percent humidity), so you had to walk 100 yards at least every time you hit your ball. By the 10 or 11 hole I was wiped out. There was large amounts of tree trimmings around several Of the tee boxes. The after completion of the round I had to carry my clubs back to the club drop, all this fun for $250. If I could talk to President Trump ( whom I love) I would say your fired.
The only redeeming moment at Trump National is when the sales lady in the Blue Monster shop tracked me down And returned a wad of cash I dropped in the shop Shout Out to you young lady!!!!

Upscale course with downscale services

I played the Golden Palm followed by the Blue Monster a couple of days later. Both courses are nice, the Golden Palm was a better value. Where the resort falls short is with their amenities. To be fair I was aware of this from reading previous reviews, but I will share my experience. First, there isn't a bag drop near the cart area and they charge $10 to park your car that requires a shuttle to the cart area with your bags (gratuity expected). The start was okay and with a very nice practice area. The real rub was after finishing the Blue Monster on the second day, we were expecting a shuttle from the cart area to the area where another shuttle takes you to the parking area. We were told we would have to carry our bags to the parking lot shuttle which was several hundred yards away. My playing partner commented that he was 70 and didn't want to carry his bag and accessories that far. The response was pretty much, sorry but you have to carry your bags (after the first round we did have someone shuttle us to the parking lot pick up point). Once we got to the parking lot pick up point, there was no shuttle. After waiting for 5+ minutes in the heat, we got frustrated and walked to the parking lot. Based on this experience, we will likely not be returning to play here again.

Pro-Greens

The course is great, greens are espetacular no, pro class.
My only vomment is to cut down a little bit the rough
I wush to play it again many times.

Fantastic

The course was in the best shape of any course I’ve ever played. The greens were perfect. Our forecaddie (required before 1 pm), Luis, was great. Pricey, of course, but worth it if you’re treating yourself.

Tough on seniors!

Very long holes from White tees. Traps come into play frequently. Really tired out at the end!. Love the layout and conditions were excellent. Greens are so fast it's hard to put from above the hole.

$50 generic Florida Golf Course

Lived in Florida my whole life, was very excited to play the legendary Blue Monster, will never play again. This course is VERY over priced and over hyped. It was in the condition of any other $50 Florida golf course and there was nothing special.

March is prime time golf in Florida and Doral was tight wet lies in the fairway, sanded punched greens, and nothing out of the ordinary for landscaping. Absolutely crazy they get the kind of money for this course. Spend your money else where.

Florida Advisor

Fantastic design for flat terrain

The Blue Monster offers a fantastic layout for flat terrain. The holes feature many hazards, either lakes or sand traps (I was in 9 bunkers). However the bunkers are firm and very fair for hitting to the green. The course has several tee options - my playing partner tried the black tees and he commented on the long par 3s. From a few tees up tees the course still is on the long side but playable. The greens were rolling true and fast despite being sanded. The fairways were perfect, the best I've encountered in Florida in a while. The only complaint was the parking and club drop off. Despite very expensive green fees the parking lot attendant charged us $10 to self park, that seems like overt greed considering the green fees. And then the parking lot was a long hike to the golf pro shop and the shuttle bus was non-existent. Despite wind and rain which made the course tough, we enjoyed the round. Even though it is great course the value for $ was not there. Streamsong, Copperhead or other Florida courses offer better value.

Wow it’s gone down hill

$10 to park. Cart lady 1 time Very unfriendly and inefficient staff. Shuttle from parking lot after paying to park was a nightmare. No ranger. Multiple fivesum. Wait on every tee box. Covid used as an excuse for everything but this is a course that charges premium prices but treat you like cattle

Absolutely stunning resort, decent golf course

The pro shop and resort area are absolutely beautiful, world class. And that’s exactly what you are paying for .I’ve played hundreds of courses across the US, this course is nothing special unless you are in line of site of the beautiful Proshop or fountains near the starting and finishing holes. The price is an absolutely joke based on its reputation, now I can see how my boi Tiger shredded this “Monster” with a 66

Miami Springs, Florida
4.1199117647
Miami Lakes, Florida
Miami, Florida
MIAMI, FL | Enjoy 1 nights' accommodations in a Deluxe Guest Room at Trump National Doral and 1 rounds of golf at Red Tiger, Golden Palm, Silver Fox or Blue Monster.
MIAMI, FL | Enjoy 1 nights' accommodation at The Biltmore Hotel and 1 round of golf at The Biltmore Golf Course.
NAPLES, FL | Enjoy 2 nights' accommodations at The Ritz-Carlton Golf Resort, Naples and 2 rounds of golf at Tiburón Golf Club - Gold Course and Black Course.
ORLANDO, FL | Enjoy 2 nights' accommodation at Tuscana Resort Orlando and 3 rounds of golf at Disney’s Magnolia Golf Course, Palm Golf Course and Lake Buena Vista Golf Course.
ORLANDO, FL | Enjoy 4 nights' accommodation at The Fountains Resort Championsgate and 6 rounds of golf at Orange County Panther Lake, Orange County Crooked Cat, Omni International, Omni National, Celebration Golf Club and Falcons Fire Golf Club.