Legends Golf & Resort - Moorland

Year Built 1990
Architect P. B. Dye (1990)

Fabulous track

Tremendous layout and well maintained. Was veryyy impressed with this place. Beautiful views and a great value.

great layout

we played 9 holes on one course before playing 18 on Moorland. we saw the beverage cart on the sixth hole of our first nine. after that, even with a call to the clubhouse, we did not see it again. and it was a hot and steamy day. greens on the first nine had been punched recently (no warning from the course) and the back nine on Moorland had been sanded (again, we didn't know until we made the turn). pace of play was great on the first nine, was downright awful on the second nine, and was awesome on the third nine after the group in front of us called it a day. all of that said, we thoroughly enjoyed the layout, and we would likely play the legends again.

Pace of play

The front nine was great. The back nine was a log jam. People on the green. People in the fairway. People on the tee. Waiting every hole. Had to walk off because of it

Amazing

Pete dye at his best. Amazing layout. Driving area wide an receptive but approach all greens carefully. His design has u looking at all the stuff in front and around. Humps and bumps everywhere. Greens were dressed but still rolled nice and not slow. Terrific accommodations and pro shop

Great course, but brutally slow

This was the first time I played Moorland at the Legends. The course is mix between links style and American style. The wind was blowing about 15-20 mph directly at us on the first 4 holes. I did enjoy the layout, but not knowing where every trap is was a bit challenging. I know people complain about the slopes on the greens, but I didn’t think they were that severe. I will say that they just punched around 10 greens so they were bumpy and sandy. Overall the fairways were in great shape, and I’m sure the greens will be in a few weeks. For 60+ dollars I don’t think I would play again until the greens were normal.

spectacular and soooooo hard.

Beautiful
Not flat
Very difficult even from the green tee box.

We considered this to be a "goonie golf" course

Played this course prior to play with a large group on the other Legends course that week. While the fairways and greens were in good shape this course has some of the goofiest layouts for hole that I have ever played on. You will likely need to be a near professional to score anything reasonable on this course. The other two Legends courses were quite pleasurable to play on. I would not recommend this course at all to spend money and time on.

Challenging but fun

To start this was our first of 2 rounds. We teed off at 745 after driving down from NY for 13 hours and arriving at 230am. The starter was super friendly he stood in the tee box talking to us until it was our turn to tee off. There was a ton of rain there the days before and even while we were out there we got some but the course was in great shape. The lay out was fun with the water and bunkers. The elevated greens make it super tough for a newer golfer like myself but it was a welcomed challenge. Overall we had a really fun time playing this course.

Fun round

Played this one as part of our double dip. To begin, the starter was one of the nicest people o have ever met. He talked with us while we waited and gave us rec’s for other courses and local spots. This a really open course. Lots of holes have water and some narrow fairways, but really open overall. The course is in really good shape even with all the rain. The greens are smooth and really fast actually.

There’s lots of elevation changes to elevated greens. I don’t mind that, but the greens weren’t holding anything so it made it virtually impossible to keep the green. I’d also like to see them fill the bunkers with sand and not the clay that was there. We couldn’t even get the club under the ball. Overall pretty tough challenge

New Favorite

Do not want to be over the top but this is my new favorite course. It is a position course. that does not demand you be a boomer and will penalize you at some points if you are. It has the most elevation changes I have seen at the beach. The course was in perfect condition and the facilities at Legends are awesome. Having played most of Myrtle Beach I can honestly say your money would be well spent a Moorland You can pay a lot more and get a lot less.

Great Layout

Great Dye layout! Course was in great shape overall. Tee boxes and fairways were very good. Had about 4 greens that had winter kill but on those greens they placed the flag in good locations on the green that didn’t have winter kill. Best surprise was being quoted $75 and getting a discount due to the winter kill on the greens. Would definitely play this course again. Bonus for having coolers on the golf carts.

Greens in bad condition

Legends' courses are usually in nice shape, however, I just played in a scramble tournament (May 12, 2018) on Moorlands and most of the greens were is poor condition. large bare areas and patchy grass spots. putting the greens was just luck... will the ball jump to the left or right, you never know. I'd recommend avoiding Moorland for a while. I don't know if there is a plan to fix the bare green problem.

Destination Golf

The Legends complex is a great base for a Myrtle Beach Vacation. Live here but refer visitors all the time. The courses are Highland type and well maintained. The practice facilities are abundent and the Ted Frick Classic Swing Academy is one of the South's best, and has a great Summer Program if you travel with kids.The location is central to Myrtle Beach. It is not an ad. This is what I tell my friends.

legends resort moorland course

i have been playing golf for 50 years and i just got back from a trip to myrtle beach with a dozen other players. i have never seen a course with 18 greens that bad before. to call them terrible is an insult to the word terrible. how a course could sell tee times to the public with greens that awful is beyond me. they ran out of green paint which they spray painted to even be able to call it a green. stay away!! after complaining they gave us rain checks. if they were worried about losing revenue now, ok they won. anyone who plays there in the next 3 months, or more will never return.....ever!! i gave it one star because 0 stars were not offered!!

ed7d865c-cb35-5524-a1eb-3836912c2da9
Commented on 05/14/2018

ello bob113. We apologize for your less than satisfactory experience on our course. We always strive to not only meet, but exceed our players' expectations. We are certainly taken aback by your review and a bit surprised, as most players have come off the course complimenting it. However, we would like to hear more about the specifics of your experience here. If you wouldn't mind giving us a call at 516-766-1880 at your earliest convenience, it would be greatly appreciated, as we welcome any opportunity for us to improve. We look forward to having the opportunity earning back your business.

4.2919058824
3.6019705882
CHARLESTON, SC | Enjoy 5 nights' accommodations at The Francis Marion Hotel and play 4 rounds of golf at Links at Stono Ferry, Dunes West GC, Charleston National Country Club and Rivertowne Country Club.
KIAWAH ISLAND, SC | Enjoy 5 nights' accommodations in a Resort Class Villa at Kiawah Island Golf Resort and play 4 rounds of golf at Osprey Point, Turtle Point, Cougar Point and Ocean Course.
HILTON HEAD ISLAND, SC | Enjoy 5 nights' accommodation Omni Hilton Head Oceanfront Resort and play 4 rounds of golf at Fazio, Hills and Jones Courses at Palmetto Dunes, and Country Club of Hilton Head.
HILTON HEAD ISLAND, SC | Enjoy 5 nights' accommodations at Sea Pines Golf Resort and play 4 rounds of golf at Heron Point, Atlantic Dunes at Sea Pines Resort, Arthur Hills Course at Palmetto Dunes and Hilton Head National.