Type Public/Resort
The Wizard Golf Club

Year Built 1996
Fairways 419 Bermuda Grass
Greens Penn G2 Grass
Architect Dan Maples (1996) Michael Gleason (1996)

Walking Allowed No
Dress code Regular Golf Attire

Bar, Snacks

Wizard golf

I live in Myrtle Beach and play all of the courses in the area 3 times a week. The Wizard, Man-of-War are in my rotation. I find these courses in excellent condition. Many courses keep the greens in good shape but these two keep the entire course to include tee boxes, fairways(beautiful) greens, and roughs in excellent playing condition. Of the 80+ courses I have seen only one (private club) that is equal to the excellent conditions of these two courses. Also, the entire staff makes you feel that you are at a private country club. I realize that conditions change but these two seem to always stay on top of it to make playing conditions always a pleasure. I recommend to add these two to your places to play when in Myrtle Beach..

Slow Play

Slow group ruined afternoon for the 6 groups bottled up behind them.

Great coarse

Very friendly course. Enjoyed it a lot. Would play again

Great course and a great value!! Fast greens well maintained! Beautiful area and friendly staff made this a perfect day!! Will be back!!!

Could be better

Let me start by saying I don’t give many reviews but I had to do this one.
I’m gonna keep it short and not draw it out.
The service was horrible, very rude people working at the bag drop. No one helped us, which I will tip them if they do, but they acted like we wasn’t there and they was doing us a favor by letting us play there.

One of the guys in the pro shop was pretty nice, the other guy was very up tight about us playing and acting like the rate they quoted us was wrong.
He was acting like it was tip top shape, which it wasn’t.

Also the greens were not healed from aerification (which we were NOT told ahead of time)

The rest of the course I would rate as average.
Plus, cart path only (which is understandable) just adds to the frustration.

Good Solid Value Golf

There are some reviews where this course gets a bad rap. But I love it. It’s good solid no frills golf. I paid $47 and that included 2 drinks a sandwich and chips. A small bag of range balls was $4. Now there are no thrills. The clubhouse is an old castle. But it could use some modernizations. There are no GPS, ball washers, or coolers on the cart. And the cart path is rough at times. But I love the course. I played on a really windy day. Probably a 3 club wind on the back. And pretty cool. So not real crowded. Finished in about 3 hours. It’s a links style course. Pretty open fairways. With a lot of bunkers and tricky greens. The course is in good shape. It was pretty wet in places. But the tees and fairways are nicely overseeded and green and in good shape. There were some bunkers that looked newly redone. And they had a lot of really really soft sand. And some that weren’t that had dirty looking gray sand and didn’t have enough sand in them. Luckily I only hit 1 bunker. Some reviews hammer the courses greens. And they are bent grass which can get really beat up in the summer. But I like them. In the winter the bent grass is thriving. They were smooth and really good speed in my opinion. Hole 1 is a long dogleg right par 5. 2 is a medium length uphill par 3. 3 is a longer dogleg right par 4 with an uphill approach. 4 is another medium length uphill par 3. 5 is a medium length slight dogleg left par 4. 6 is a little bit longer par 3. 7 is a long straight par 5. 8 is a trickier par 4. With the approach over a little creek. 9 is a shorter dogleg right par 4. 10 is a straight away par 4 but it was straight into the wind today. 11 is a solid par 5 where you have to decide whether to carry the creek on your second shot or not. 12 is a short par 3. 13 is a long tricky par 4 that moves to the right and uphill. 14 is a good par 5 where you have to navigate a creek again on the 2nd shot. 15 is a shorter par 4 that turns to the right. 16 is a long hard par 4. It moves slightly right. With a pond on the right. And it was straight into a 3 club wind. 17 is back downhill shorter par 3 with an island green. And 18 is another long uphill par 4 with a big pond on the right and the only big forced carry to the green. All in all it’s a fun course in good shape. And def worth a play!

Not Worth the Miney

I could not recommend this course. Course is nice and okay but not worth the cost. Too many other courses way better here in Myrtle and not as costly. The ladies bathroom on the course was a disgrace. I have never seen a bathroom so disgusting even on rest stops when traveling. Tried to talk to general manager about it. He could have cared less. Asked for the course pro they said he wasn’t there. Sent an email and got no response I am nit a visitor I am a local and my husband us a member. Very disappointing. Go somewhere else to play.

Save Yourself!

It too late for me, I’ve already paid $53 for a $15 golf course, but you can still save yourself and avoid my fate. Let’s start with the positive. The staff was very friendly, the tee boxes were generally in good repair and the pace of play was good because the local have all already been fooled. Now the negative. The course is in abysmal condition. First, I have been in town two days with no rain and yet the course is extremely soggy. The fairways are is fair to poor condition. The greens are atrocious. Large bare spots and a recent aeration make them unputtable. In fact, I gave up putting on the back nine. Even if the greens had not been aerated they would be unplayable based on the condition of the missing and existing grass. Finally not surprising, the roughs were in need of attention. This is the 2nd worst course I’ve ever played. Least you think I’m some kind of golf course snob, my normal home course is a fairly modestly priced county course, I just don’t want to see anyone else waste their money or time.

Always a solid play!

I play the Wizard every year on my winter golf trip to Myrtle Beach and it is always a solid play. The course is in great condition. Tees, fairways, were perfectly over seeded. The bent grass greens thrive in the winter and they were really smooth. Only problem I saw was that many of the green side bunkers appear to be lacking in sand. Just hard packed dirt. Need to put some sand in them. Other than that the course is in great shape. The majority of the course is a rolling links style layout. It’s pretty open and very fun to play. 16-18 however are more like its neighbor course Man of War with large amounts of water in play. Each round includes lunch and 2 drinks so that’s a good value. The clubhouse and cart path and some of that kinda stuff could use some sprucing up. But if your just looking for solid golf at a good price than play here.

VERY DISSAPOINTED!!! WHAT A SHAME!!

We chose this course as our first course to play on a week long golf vacation in Myrtle Beach. We were very disappointed. Course conditions were awful. Greens were some of the worst we've ever seen here in Myrtle Beach. Even though the layout was very nice, It just looked as though nobody cared about this course anymore, as if they had just given up for whatever reason. What added insult to injury is that we could have played one of the more higher end courses for just a few dollars more.. Don't waste your time or money.

3.6019705882
4.2919058824
CHARLESTON, SC | Enjoy 5 nights' accommodations at The Francis Marion Hotel and play 4 rounds of golf at Links at Stono Ferry, Dunes West GC, Charleston National Country Club and Rivertowne Country Club.
KIAWAH ISLAND, SC | Enjoy 5 nights' accommodations in a Resort Class Villa at Kiawah Island Golf Resort and play 4 rounds of golf at Osprey Point, Turtle Point, Cougar Point and Ocean Course.
HILTON HEAD ISLAND, SC | Enjoy 5 nights' accommodation Omni Hilton Head Oceanfront Resort and play 4 rounds of golf at Fazio, Hills and Jones Courses at Palmetto Dunes, and Country Club of Hilton Head.
HILTON HEAD ISLAND, SC | Enjoy 5 nights' accommodations at Sea Pines Golf Resort and play 4 rounds of golf at Heron Point, Atlantic Dunes at Sea Pines Resort, Arthur Hills Course at Palmetto Dunes and Hilton Head National.