Type Semi-Private/Resort
Rams Hill Golf Club

Year Built 1983
Architect Ted Robinson, Sr. (1983) Tom Fazio (2007) Dennis Wise (2007) Jackson Kahn Design (2013)

Golf Simulator Yes

Beverage Carts

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 36

Big greens with lots of breaks

Great layout. The big greens are its defense. Not so many houses around yet, so you can still get away with some miss hits! Great Friendly staff all day! Worth he drive from San Diego on occasion.

The greens were not as fast as usual . Some of the greens were spray painted, many brown areas on he fairway. Still a nice place to play, but this was the worst I’ve seen here ever.

Major Maintenance Issues

Many fairways had bare patches that were very wet. Some greens had dead spots around edges, with one green having 2 large “patches” in it. Pace of play was horrible given they took me out of my foursome and had me play as a single FOLLOWING A MEMBER TOURNAMENT with all (multiple) 4somes.

Commented on 04/17/2021

Dear golferdude26,

I'm very sorry you were disappointed in your round. Please understand that when you booked as a single, the threesome that you booked with requested to our starter that they be allowed to play alone du to Covid concerns. We always honor those request. As a single I'm sure it did seem like the pace of play was slow but our carts GPS tracked the average round on 4/15 as 4:09.
Rams Hill takes great pride in the awards we have won over the years for our course conditioning. Unfortunately, this fall right after we mowed our newly planted ryegrass, unseasonably hot and humid weather brought with it a fungus called Grey Leaf Spot that attacks the crown of the ryegrass plant and is very destructive. Fortunately, we caught and treated the disease immediately and contained the damage to just some of our fairways. This particular disease attacked us as well as some courses in the Coachella Valley that overseeded in the same window as we did. Fortunately, our greens, tees and roughs are all very good and have not been affectedWith all of that said, we are disappointed in the conditions of those fairways and have tried to do all we can to help them heal, but you only really get one shot at planting ryegrass. The fairways will heal later this month when warmer weather allows our bermuda grass base to awaken from winter dormancy and we should return to the conditioning we and our guests have come to expect and appreciate.
I hope that you will come back when we are again in pristine condition.

COO/GM
Rams Hill

Closest Palm Desert-Type Course to San Diego

Rams Hill reminds you of the Palm Desert/La Quinta type courses, but up to 50 miles closer for SD locals. It's situated in a gated community with a good restaurant (one of the better Rueben sandwiches I've had outside of NY) that has great views of the 18th green and the 1st tee box. The course is setup as an out and back with no turn after the 9th. There is a snack station at the 10th/14th tee box with drinks and free street tacos. The course condition is generally solid. Good tee boxes, good rough, good grass around the greens. The greens are a bit hard (not necessarily fast, but not slow), going into the summer. The fairways are decent for the most part, but can be a bit muddy. There's elevation change even though it's out in the seemingly flat desert. The practice range is fantastic, Titleist balls with the ability to practice out of bunkers.

Beautiful course

Certainly worth the drive from Palm Desert.. Great course in a beautiful setting.

Make sure you aim for the Grass and not “The Green Stuff

Met some friends from San Diego at Rams Hill for a round on Saturday. They have played the course a number of times over the years and have great things to say about it. One friend warned me that the recent reviews said that some of the fairways were patchy and the course was willing to offer up a free round if you were not satisfied with the conditions. It was crazy windy on the day we played, with the winds probably gusting close to 40mph and they picked up on the 4th hole for us.

The issues with the fairways seem to be near and surrounding all of the large fairway bunkers. Looks like the groundskeepers have either sprayed some sort of green ground cover/paint on the fairways, so that they do not look brown from the tee boxes. I hit poor tee shots on the first two holes and landed right in the middle of “The Green Stuff.” When I hit out of this area, both time it was damp mud below “The Green Stuff” and my ball went no where.

The rest of the round, I took the time off the tee to aim at the other side of the fairway from the fairway bunkers or at the larger, lush patches of grass in the fairway. Sometimes they were much shorter than I wanted to hit off the tee box, but I knew it would be better than playing out of the gunk.

I am no groundskeeper, but I would think that the course should lay down a bunch of grass seed and then cover it with “The Green Stuff” and try to get it to grow back and just place some Ground Under Repair stakes up. Give people a free drop outside of that area and let the grass grow back.

I was aware of the issue before we drove to the course, I had some fun with my friends and I shot an 86 in really heavy wind, so I did not ask for my money back. Overall it was a pretty good day. I hope that they can fix the fairway situation, so that the next time we come back the course is in tip top shape.

The only other issue that zi had was on a busy Saturday morning (we teed off around 8:30am) there was only 10 stalls on the driving range set up. Everyone had to wait for 10 or 15 minutes to warm up and there was 2 or 3 people waiting at each stall. Meanwhile, they were only using half of the range space. On. Tuesday or Wednesday it makes sense to limit the range, so that the grass can grow back, but not on the weekend with a full tee sheet. You guys are better than that.

Commented on 03/24/2021

Dear Brostyle1972,

Thanks for being a fan of Rams Hill. I'm sorry some of the fairways were not up to their usual immaculate conditions. Rams Hill takes great pride in the many awards we have won for our course conditioning This fall right after overseed, we encountered a very hot and humid stretch that brought with it a very destructive fungus. We were very lucky that we caught and treated it quickly, and isolate the damage only to some of the fairways. As I'm sure you saw the greens, tees, roughs were very good and I expect the fairways to heal as the bermudagrass comes out of dormancy in the next 2-3 weeks. I hope to see you again soon when Rams Hill returns to its normal supreme conditions. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me.

Very sincerely,

COO/GM
Rams Hill
harry@ramshill.com

My favorite CA desert course

This course is beautiful, challenging, and lots of fun. There are many wonderful courses in the Palm Desert area, where we stay on our annual CA trip. Rams Hill is an hour and half drive, but so good we always make the trip.

Great course.

Upon arriving at the first tee as a single I was told I would be grouped with someone another two some. They didn't show and I went off as a single. Very windy at first and no one behind me I didn't push the group ahead. The wind stopped and temp warmed up. Had a great time, course is in excellent shape nice lay out and somewhat forgiving fairways. Definitely will be back!

Yikes!

What has happened to my favorite course? This course usually has 0 dry grass anywhere and the entire fairways were dry or with no grass today. Course conditions are going down and prices keep going up? How does that work? Smh

Commented on 03/09/2021

Dear u618964340,
Rams Hill takes great pride in the awards we have won over the years for our course conditioning. Unfortunately, this fall right after we mowed our newly planted ryegrass, unseasonably hot and humid weather brought with it a fungus called Grey Leaf Spot that attacks the crown of the ryegrass plant and is very destructive. Fortunately, we caught and treated the disease immediately and contained the damage to just some of our fairways. This particular disease attacked us as well as some courses in the Coachella Valley that overseeded in the same window as we did. Fortunately, our greens, tees and roughs are all very good and have not been affected. The fairways will heal later this month when warmer weather allows our bermudagrass base to awaken from winter dormancy and we should return to the conditioning we and our guests have come to expect and appreciate.

COO/GM Rams Hill

Rams Hill review

I have played this course every year for ten years. It is in the poorest condition I have seen. The rates were the highest in ten years while the condition the poorest. Greens putted fine but were inconsistent as to firmness and acceptability to good golf shots.
I heard from local friends they overseeded earlier than usual and this maybe contributed to the dead area in fairways and spotty conditions of the greens.
I love the layout and atmosphere of Rams Hill. If the conditions next year are what was the norm of years past than the greens fees would be appropriate. The present condition of the course I would compare to a decent public course in the 60 dollar range.

Commented on 03/02/2021

Dear mstevnw, First let me thank you for being a longtime fan of Rams Hill.I am very sorry you were disappointed in your recent round. Rams Hill has built its reputation on having the best playing conditions in Southern California, currently, Rams Hill's fairways fall short of our high expectations. Due to the unseasonal heat and humidity in October and November Rams Hill contracted a turf fungus that has left 5-6 of our fairways with thinning ryegrass. The greens and the remainder of the course however remain in excellent condition. We expect our fairways to heal completely this month when warmer ground temperatures return. I hope you will give us another opportunity to show you why we have been so fortunate to win the awards we have for course conditioning. I would love to have you reach out to me to discuss further. I hope to hear from you.
harry@ramshill.com