Type Resort/Public
Potomac Shores Golf Club

Year Built 2014
Fairways Latitude 36 Bermuda Grass
Architect Jack Nicklaus (2014) Jacobson Golf Course Design (2014) Chad Goetz (2019)

Bar, Grill, Restaurant

Banquet Facilities, Lockers

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Virginia (2016 #18)

Top course in VA

Phenomenal course all around. Tee boxes, fairways, and greens are kept to perfection. Free range balls as well. This course is the most professional course in the northern VA area. Highly recommend.

Cool challenge

First time there on a weekend morning but pace was good since they don’t cram tee times together like some places. In great shape considering fairways still dormant. Between the elevation changes and very windy conditions that day, was quite the challenge, esp front 9. Still fun though, would recommend.

Only suggestion, maybe offer something with a better look at the holes for first-timers. Could barely make out anything on the scorecard, pics were so tiny.

Very nice

Played the course on New Years eve. Tee time was 11:06. I got there an hour early. Check-in was fast and easy and everyone was following COVID protocols. Took the cart to the practice area which is like a half mile away. They had endless practice balls which were of good quality (for practice balls). I hit off a mat, but it wasn't bad all. No pain and it reacted true to turf. The range has flags at different distances so you can get dialed in. I tee my ball for driver fairly low and I couldn't get my tee in low enough for realistic practice. Not a huge deal. Then I practiced putting and chipping on the practice green. It was a little chewed up but I was able to get speed dialed in since I wasn't familiar at all with the course. I was paired with three other people and they were all great playing partners. As for the course, it's a Nicklaus signature course and it was noticeable. Absolutely beautiful course. Fairways were on the wider side (which I love lol) and the rough was cut to a manageable length. I've been playing a lot in the local area and most courses are soaked right now. While still wet, this course had the best irrigation in the area. The greens were in great shape. The shapes and some sizes of the greens offered a challenge. It's a course designed to make you pick your spots. The holes narrowed from the fairways into the greens. Bail out areas were small so you really had to hit a good shot to score well. I personally never had an issue on the green where I was in a place that was chewed up. The ball rolled true. There are some truly picturesque holes. Nicklaus doesn't just challenge you on your approach. There were plenty of fairway bunkers to make you place your tee shot correctly. I hit every club in my bag, sometimes choosing less than driver off the tee and had every length of approach shot into the greens. I enjoyed the challenge of plotting my way around the course and having decide when to be aggressive and when to play for par. I shot my best ever round at +6 (78) for a heck of a way to end this wild year. I will absolutely come to this course more often. While the price is definitely a little higher than surrounding courses, it's worth it due to the way they maintain the course and the experience you'll have. A couple things to note. You can't walk this course. On several occasions, it's probably a half mile to the next hole through hilly woods. I love walking and wasn't fond of the idea of riding, but it's definitely the only way to go here. Also, You don't circle back to the club house until you finish 16. We never saw a cart with refreshments. Come prepared. Finally, it apparently is a course that's infamous for being cart path only. I understand when it's wet so it didn't bother me. I'd feel different if the course was dry. But also with it being cart path only, it will add to your time. We saw the marshall no less than four times though, so they're keeping an eye on pace of play. We never had an issue in that respect. Anyways, give it a shot. I'm certain you'll enjoy it. I'll definitely be back!

Great Trek today!

Its winter, if you hate car path golf or undulation - then dont play here. Its a great course and I dont mind walking to my ball - again though, its winter so appreciate that they are open!!!

Nice course - terrible pace/experience

The course is beautiful. All the holes would be a signature hole at another course and it was fairly challenging.

That being said, the whole experience was terrible. It is a lot further from DC (took me a solid hour there and over 1.5 back) than it looked like on google maps so I was already rushed. After getting there and checking in (I had to talk to 3 different people to check in) they told me there was absolutely no walkers which was a bummer but it would have been a terrible walk so ok. They didn't give me any direction on where to go after checking in, it's basically an unmarked 500 yard drive through a neighborhood to get to the practice area/first tee.

Upon getting there and going to the starter I was informed there was a 30 minute delay because there was a frost warning that morning. It would have been nice to be informed but ok, wait 30 minutes.

The course was cart path only, no idea why, it wasn't wet at all, and this course is huge so that meant this round was going to take a while but the kicker was there was a 5some in front of us! We literally waited at every hole. We got through 15 before it was too dark to play.

Overall, if the course was a little closer to the city I would give it another shot but the experience was so dang frustrating I probably wont make it out there again any time soon.

Nice layout

Like the course layout. Fairway bunkers make for a few challenging holes but still enjoyable.

So slow

5 and half hour round with limited ranger involvement. Twice had 4 groups on par 4.

A great round on a breezy November day

Recommended by a friend who brought us there today. More than lived up to expectations!

5 hour 20 minute round

Round took way too long to play ( 5 hours 20 min). Marshall did come out but nothing changed. For the price of $69 the course was in good condition but can’t get food on the course (should accommodate if the round takes that long) . For a very nice course layout and conditions I don’t know if they will attract more business because of how slow the pace of play is. Would have liked for the staff to do something to remedy this.

Quantico, Virginia