Royal St. Augustine Golf and Country Club in St. Augustine, Florida, USA | GolfPass
A view from Royal St. Augustine Golf and Country Club
2.3
2.4

Located in Florida’s oldest city, Royal St. Augustine Golf & Country Club offers a glimpse of the area’s lush foliage and native marshlands. The course has a visually interesting layout with elevated, sprawling greens and a variety of bunker shapes and sizes. The moguled fairways and sandy waste areas are two other distinguishing features of the course. It is a tight course with large greens and gentle undulations. The layout provides a “target-golf” experience that puts a premium on accuracy and distance control. The numerous bends in the course in combination with the blustery winds also makes proper club selection very important.

Royal St. Augustine Golf & Country Club

Year Built 2001

Credit Cards Accepted Amex MasterCard Visa Discover card(s) Welcomed

Bar, Grill, Restaurant

Clubhouse, Meeting Facilities, Banquet Facilities

19th Hole Specials 10

Such potential

I’ve been playing this course for over 10 years. My in-laws own a home on the course.
As others have said, the greens were bad. Lots of weed grasses and dead spots.
They must have given up on the first hole green. There has been a false green 100 yds short of the original for a year or more.
Traps have plenty of sand, but weeds are encroaching.
Fairways are a little shaggy.
Tee boxes need to be redone.
If you’re like me and just trying to shake the rust before playing a nicer course, it’ll do the job.
This place could be so much more, and it used to be.. Nice, tight layout and fun to play.
Given the choices of places to play in St Augustine, this place should be packed in the weekend. I booked a 2:30 yesterday and there were less than 10 cars in the parking lot.

Challenging little course with nice fairways.
Greens not that great.

Awful Every Step of the Way

Terrible course conditions, terrible service, terrible overall experience. We had a 7:07 tee time & the staff didn’t show up until 6:58am. We were late teeing off because of it, the starter was rude as he could possibly be, and they didn’t even tell us about the false green on #1. Every green was eaten up with weeds and holes. They should be ashamed charging $60 for that. If you’re thinking of playing this track, you should ABSOLUTELY reconsider.

Terrible Conditions, Rude Staff, Worst Golf Experience Ever

Ownership & Mgmt should literally be ashamed. First we showed up at 6:15am for a 7:07am tee time. There was a 2-some scheduled ahead of us at 7am, yet the Pro Shop staff didn’t open their doors until 6:58am. Check-in took nearly 20 minutes for our group of 4, and we finally got to tee off around 7:25. After getting an attitude from the lady in the Pro Shop, we saw the Starter at the 1st tee box, who looked at our receipt and simple said “Bye!” and walked back to his cart. We were met with a false green on #1 that we about 100 yards shy of the original green and not a single person on their staff mentioned it beforehand. We proceeded to play the first 4 holes in about 40 minutes (10 minutes per hole) and ran into the Starter again on the way to #5. Again with a nasty attitude, he stated “I’m going to need you to pick up the pace a bit because you’re slowing down the day!” I responded by stating that we didn’t get to tee off until almost 7:30am and it was only 8:10am at the time of this conversation. We also said it would have been nice to have been warned about the false green on #1 that was literally grass cut down extremely low right in the middle of the fairway. His response was another very rude “Bye!” so we all laughed & drove off. Every single green was completed full of weeds, dead spots, and bouncy putts due to the horrendous conditions. I forgot to mention that we asked for ice in the Pro Shop as were trying to pay for 3 Gatorades & 2 waters but were told that we HAD to buy 6 drinks in order to receive any ice. Free ice at that. Ridiculous! And the fact that they are charging $55 for all of this is completely mind-boggling. Showing up late, treating golfers with attitudes, and the worst course conditions I’ve ever seen in my 30+ years of golfing is just astronomically unacceptable. I will never play this course again and you couldn’t pay me to do so. I’d also NEVER recommend this course to anyone on the planet. There’s dozens of other MUCH nicer courses in the surrounding areas for the same of even lesser price. If you’re thinking about playing here, you should DEFINITELY reconsider that decision. Worst golfing experience ever, hands down.

Terrible Greens, Terrible Service, Worst Experience Ever

I don’t understand how this course could possible be rated higher than a one star. The staff was rude (pro shop & starter) and they didn’t open the pro shop until 7am when we had a 7:07am tee time. There was a false green on #1 and no one said a word about it. The started gave us an attitude upon arrival to the 1st tee then said we needed to pick up the pace after #4 yet we managed to play the 1st four holes in about 40 minutes (10 minutes per hole). When we mentioned our fast pace & the false green on #1 he got an attitude and told us “Bye!” It was completely unprofessional and personally rude. Every single green, yes all 18 of them, were eaten up and in horrible shape. You could not pay us to play this course ever again and I would HIGHLY recommend that you don’t waste your time or money on it either. For $55 per person, we could have played a number of better courses in the area and had a MUCH better overall experience. If I could rate it lower than 1 star, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Horrible

The entire organization should be ashamed to charge $55 for the condition of that course. We literally had to buy 6 drinks to get free ice. I'll never go back.

About what we expected

Overall, course was in good shape, great value.

Pros:
Staff was great

Cons:
Condition of greens

Awful

I've played this course many times in the past, but the course is in the worst shape I have ever seen. Didn't even see any signs of effort to improve it. Greens are full of weeds, hard to tell fairways from rough, club house starting to fall apart, Do not play here.

Wow worse I have seen it

I always loved this course but right not it is in the worst shape I have ever seen it.

Terrible Golf Conditions

This course has hit a new low for course conditions on the front 9 holes. The first hole "green" is a temp flag hole 100 yards short of the normal green in the fairway. No maintenance work appears to be ongoing on the extremely poor regular green. Progressively worse conditions have been ongoing on the front nine since reopening mid last year after the Covid shutdown. Weeds, missing grass of any sort, throughout fairways and tee boxes is prevalent. EVERY green has significant weeds that are part of the putting surface. A sad situation for a one-time great golf location. The current ownership is sucking the life out of a once proud and enjoyable golf course.

RSA

Tee Boxes and Greens are the worst I have ever see there. Staff is great. Bar was fun but course was rough

good layout, bad conditions

I saw all of the negative reviews and was debating playing this course, however the reviews were 100% correct. The greens were for sure the worst part, the entirety of every green had weeds growing out of them, it was very hard to putt. The fairways were 50% dirt, tee boxes looked awful. I would practically consider $50 a scam. I could play twice as nice of a course where i live for $20. It is sad that they call this a country club when there are nicer municipal courses. The only positive thing about this course is the hard layout. Very narrow. If you are considering playing here, I would find another place.

Terrible course maintenance

Although there has been a lack of rain, the conditions were not good at all

Played this course 7-8 times when I first started playing it was tolerable after those couple of times it went downhill so quick. Greens have multiple different types of grass most are completely sand filled, fairways are brown, tee boxes are absolutely horrible I’m sad this course went downhill

In a word….awful

Poor excuse for a golf course. Abysmal conditions. Greens were unplayable. Tee boxes bare. Should be embarrassed to charge what they do. Don’t be fooled by website. Stay away from this one.

Goat Farm Conditions

I have never seen a course with such poor lack of care and mainitence. Uncut tee boxes, greens that look like pot holes, covered in crab grass, tee boxes unlevel, weeds and mold covering fences. I have pictures. No water, no ball washers, worn off paint for yard markers, terrible sand in traps. The place is a wreck. When I specifically asked about course conditions, I was not told about what horrible condition the greens were in. Only that they were punched. This woman I am sure has never seen the condition of the greens. I could not count my round score, the putting surface was in such bad condition. Large areas of fairway were totally dead and brown, or covered in sand.

Elkton, Florida
St. Augustine, Florida
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
3.2201764706
Jacksonville, Florida
Saint Johns, Florida
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
PALM COAST, FL | Enjoy 2 nights' accommodations and 2 rounds of golf at your choice of select hotels and golf courses in the St. Augustine area.
JACKSONVILLE, FL | Enjoy 3 nights’ accommodations at Residence Inn by Marriott South Jacksonville/Bartram Park and 3 rounds of golf at Cimarrone Golf Club, The Golf Club of South Hampton, and St. John’s Golf & Country Club.
ST. AUGUSTINE, FL | Enjoy 2 nights' accommodations at World Golf Village Renaissance St. Augustine Resort and 2 rounds of golf at Slammer & Squire, and King & Bear at World Golf Village.
ST. AUGUSTINE, FL | Enjoy 3 nights’ accommodations at The World Golf Village Renaissance Resort, 2 rounds of golf at World Golf Village’s King & Bear and Slammer & Squire courses, and a 90-minute tune-up at the PGA TOUR Golf Academy.
JACKSONVILLE, FL | Enjoy 2 nights' accommodations at Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa and 2 rounds of golf at TPC Sawgrass - PLAYERS Stadium & Dye's Valley Courses.