Type Semi-Private/Resort
Rams Hill Golf Club

Year Built 1983
Architect Ted Robinson, Sr. (1983) Tom Fazio (2007) Dennis Wise (2007) Jackson Kahn Design (2013)

Golf Simulator Yes

Beverage Carts

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 37

Hidden Gem

Absolutely beautiful hidden gem only 1 1/2 drive away from Rancho Mirage. The course is in empeccable condition from t to green. The greens are hard, fast with many unseen undulations. The greens are surrounded with sand traps, water etc which makes for challenging approach shots. The fairways allow ample landing, but be careful of all the fairway bunkers that are strategically placed. The course is very challenging but yet very friendly if you play off the proper tees. The best part of the course was the beauty, peacefulness, and the scenery that allowed for an enjoyable game. Will definitely be back to challenge Rams Hill or visa versa.
Must play!

Course conditions very poor

Rams Hill is my favorite course. I have played it for several years now, and these are the worst conditions I’ve ever seen there. For the price of the greens fees, the course conditions are very disappointing. It’s a fantastic layout, I really hope they can find a way to get the course back in shape. It’s been declining for the past 3 years, such a shame to see it in this condition. Everything else is great!

Nice track

Fairways r drying out due to temps going up! Love the course & staff. Definitely will b back!!

Golf Trip

Loved Ram's Hill. You feel like you are completely off the grid once you get out to the location. It's a haul to get there but definitely worth it, especially for a multi day golf trip. If you have a big group I highly recommend getting the "House on The Hill". The course had a few fairway brown spots but to be expected this time of year and with the current water situation in that part of California. It had no impact whatsoever on the quality of play, and the greens & tee boxes were in tip top shape. What stands out the most is the friendliness of the staff. They really took good care of our group. Will definitely be back.

Course in terrible condition

Greens were O.K. but the tees and fairways were burnt out, little to no grass in many areas. Hardpan ground in many areas. Paid $155.00 for a round and felt that the price was an insulting rip-off to be charging that much money in the middle of May for a desert course in this poor of a condition. Just played Eagle Falls in Indio for $65.00 and Sun City Palm Desert for $43.00 in the prior week and both were in nice condition for a much lower cost. Rams Hill advertises that it is the 3rd ranked course in California after Pebble Beach and Spyglass. For a course to makes this claim and charge top dollar for such poor course conditions is insulting.

Commented on 05/16/2022

Dear BillNoyes, I am very sorry we disappointed you on your recent trip to Ram Hill. I apologize for the conditions of several of the fairways. They are certainly not in the condition that we expect. Over the past 2 years the combination of high salt content in our irrigation water and the native soils the course was constructed on, along with the increased cart traffic has caused the fairways to become very compacted. I can assure you that management and ownership are aggressively attacking the problem. The first week of June all fairways will be aerified multi[le times over the summer. Irrigation water is also being treated to combat the salts. We are committed to returning Rams Hill to its best possible condition. If you would like to reach out to me directly, I would be happy to answer any questions you may have. I hope that you will return to Rams Hill next season to judge our progress.

the owner is a knuclehead

In 20 years of golf around palm desert these were the worst fairways I had ever seen.
Four years ago the course was fantastic, not now.
I get that conditions sometimes deteriorate and it takes effort to bring the course back.
OK then stop asking the public to pay $200.00 for a course that now would not rank in the top 100 California golf courses.
Very professional staff.

Commented on 05/10/2022

Dear Ryancody123,

I apologize for the conditions of several of the fairways. They are certainly not in the condition that we expect. Over the past 2 years the combination of high salt content in our irrigation water and the native soils the course was constructed on, along with the increased cart traffic has caused the fairways to become very compacted. I can assure you that management and ownership are aggressively attacking the problem. The first week of June all fairways will be aerified multi[le times over the summer. Irrigation water is also being treated to combat the salts. We are committed to returning Rams Hill to the best possible condition. If you would like to reach out to me directly, I would be happy to answer any questions you may have. I hope that you will return to Rams Hill next season to judge our progress.

GM/COO Rams Hill

Played in the wind

Course was in fair shape. Lots of dry spots in the fairway. The traps had loose lips (overgrown). The weather was super windy and pace of play was slow. I drove almost 4 hours and there more courses that are a better value. I would give this 3 stars. The design is really cool but not sure it's worth the price.

Commented on 05/10/2022

Dear Phoward122,

Thanks for coming to Rams Hill. As you observed, we are having compaction issues with our fairways. Several years of irrigation with water high in saline, combined with the native desert soils the course is built on have caused the compaction. We are working very diligently to remediate the problem by treating both the soil and the water. In June when we close for the season, we will very aggressively begin an aerification program designed to breakup the compacted soil. I'm confident Rams Hill will return to it rightful place as being know for excellent conditions when we reopen in the fall. If you have any questions please reach out to me directly.

GM/COO Rams Hill

Not worth the cost

I have played this course five times now (including last year around the same time) and this was by far the worst shape I have ever seen it in. The fairways look like they haven’t been watered much in weeks and the greens look like a patchwork quilt in some areas where giant squares have been cut out and placed back in. 18 months ago this course cost about $130 and was in much better shape. To ask patrons to play $175-200 here is a joke given the condition of it. Don’t look at any social media photos of the course- the content is from years ago.

Commented on 05/08/2022

Dear cwahl85,

First I want to thank you for being a longtime repeat customer. I also want to apologize to you as we try our best to provide all of our customers with a memorable experience. I also want to apologize for the condition of several of the fairways. Irrigation water high in salts and the poor native soils along with high traffic, have cause our fairways to become very compacted where water has great difficulty percolating into the soil. We are actively and aggressively working to remediate the soil and treat the water. We are very confident that over the summer when we are closed our aggressive efforts will improve soil conditions and our fairways will return to the very high expectations we have for Rams Hill. Please reach out to me with any questions.

I hope you will return in the Fall and judge our efforts and progress.

GM/COO
harry@ramshill.com

Great Course but difficult.

I drove out from San Diego to play Rams Hill. The drive out was as beautiful as the course. The staff at Rams Hill are very friendly and provide fantastic service. Some of the fairways needed work as mentioned in other reviews. Maybe a fungus, I don’t know. I was too busy enjoying the golf and the scenery to take much notice. I will say this was one of the more difficult courses I’ve played in my short, two-year history with golf. There are so many sand bunkers that it felt like I was hopping from one to the next. If you have the opportunity, don’t pass this one up.

The Grass is not Always Greener

A delightful course, but several of the fairways are in rough shape. The grass either has some sort of blight or maybe a watering issue.
Overall, it is always a pleasure to play Rams Hill. The layout, the greens and the staff are all top notch.
I look forward to playing the course again.

Rams Hill

Have played this course over the last 7 yrs. Unfortunately the condition of the course has declined steadily over the last 4 yrs.

It used to be pristine but now it's in no better condition than a poorly maintained muni course. On course managment changed about 4 yrs ago and I suspect that is the reason. New GM and new GK.

Ironically, prices have gone up and quality gone down. This will catch up with the course very soon.Have spoken to a number of golfers that have played the course over the years and they have said they will not be back.
Hope they can make the changes needed to get it back in the shape it used to be.

Weekday Great

Very friendly staff and greetings. Practice facility and range is grass not turf. Always a plus to have a grass range when paying over $100 for a round of golf. Great course layout with plenty of water and bunkers. Definitely recommend and will come back. Grass was nice and fluffy and greens were kept really nicely

Sorry course is not in good condition

My friends and I have played Rams Hill several times in Borrego . We noticed the price had gone up considerably but decided to play anyway. It would have been a courtesy to tell us the conditions of the fairways were terrible. We played other courses days before Rams Hill and there courses were groomed to perfection. Think I may have to pass if they can’t maintain their course for the price they are asking. Sorry Jim O

Commented on 03/22/2022

Dear u8694606,
Rams Hill is a special course that we take great pride in. We have a water problem in that our wells are high in sodium and combined with poor native soils and the increased traffic the course has seen over the past two years have caused compaction problems in several of our fairways. The issue affects the ryegrass the most. We are actively taking steps to rectify the issue with our water and in the reconditioning of our soils. We are fortunate that our greens, bunkers and tees remain in excellent condition and we expect the fairways to return to meet our very high expectations soon.
I appreciate your past support of Rams Hill. Again, I apologize that we failed to meet you expectations on your last trip over. I hope to see you soon. If you have any questions please reach out to me.

GM/COO
harry@ramshill.com

Excellent course in the desert

The golf course was in excellent shape and the greens are the best I have played in the San Diego area. I wish we could have had better weather. The winds were 20-25 mph with even higher gusts. I will play this course again.

It was a windy day, pin placements difficult on a good. Played course prior to this year and condition has deteriorated significantly. Greens and fairways some bare spots and patches of grass in places not healed. Would not recommend this year unless improvements made.

Commented on 03/13/2022

Dear u793663602,

I'm very sorry we didn't meet your expectations on your recent visit. We have been dealing with some soil compaction issues in several of our fairways and are committed to rectifying the issue and are working diligently to do so. Our greens, tees, roughs and bunkers continue to be in pristine condition and I hope you will return to Rams Hill in the future to see the course in it usual condition. If you have further questions please read out to me. Harry @ramshill.com

COO/GM
Rams Hill

An awesome course with a few problems

We always enjoy Rams Hill. It has several original holes both interesting and challenging. The staff are terrific and the after golf cookie is excellent. Recently they have had trouble with their source of water which is more acidic than it used to be. This causes some brown spots on the fairways which were not there in the past. We had become used to perfection at Rams Hill so it was a bit disappointing. It is, however not enough of a problem to discourage people from playing there. You will still have a great game, and the drive down through the badlands is spectacular.

Desert golf

Staff was outstanding in all regards. Pace of play was on the slower side. Lots of trouble in regards to bunkers. Needs to be played more than once to grasp the nuances of the slopes and bunkers. Overall was an enjoyable experience

Warner Springs, California
PALM SPRINGS, CA | Enjoy 4 nights' accommodations at La Quinta Resort & Club and 4 rounds of golf at Stadium and Nicklaus Tournament Courses at PGA WEST, and Indian Wells Celebrity Course and Players Courses.
PALM SPRINGS, CA | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at La Quinta Resort & Club and 6 rounds of golf at Westin Mission Hills - Pete Dye Course, Mission Hills North - Gary Player Signature Course, Indian Wells Resort courses, PGA WEST Pete Dye Mountain Course, and PGA WEST Pete Dye Dunes Course
PALM SPRINGS, CA | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at either Miramonte Indian Wells Resort & Spa or Renaissance Esmeralda Resort & Spa, Indian Wells, and 2 rounds of golf at Indian Wells Golf Resort - Celebrity & Players Courses.
PALM SPRINGS, CA | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at Westin Rancho Mirage and 3 rounds of golf at Westin Rancho Mirage - Pete Dye Course, Mission Hills North - Gary Player Signature Course, and Indian Wells Resort.