Type Semi-Private/Resort
Rams Hill Golf Club

Year Built 1983
Architect Ted Robinson, Sr. (1983) Tom Fazio (2007) Dennis Wise (2007) Jackson Kahn Design (2013)

Golf Simulator Yes

Beverage Carts

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 36

Excellent weather

Excellent Course, Worth the Drive

I hadn't played this course in 20 years, so I made the trip to play this Fazio-redesigned course. It turned out to be one the best golf experiences I've had in years. My highlights:

* Course was in excellent shape, tee to green
* Good challenge for the low to mid-handicapper
* 3 hour round (played during the week)
* By far, the friendliest staff you'll ever meet

Next time, I'll spend the night in Borrego Springs. The course is worth playing twice.

Old Tennis Pro

Always fun to come here from Palm Desert. Never been disappointed.

THE CLASH

Just have to say THE CLASH tournament was great. The Staff was excelent went above and beyond making the weekend a great trip.....!!!!!!!!!!!

Played The Clash tournament and it was great.The staff was outstanding helping everyone out above and beyond. Would highly recommend playing here and playing The Clash next year . Also recommend play the Ram tournament in December.......

Always Great

Challenging, fair, no 2 holes look the same.. From the gal that greeted us at entrance, cart guys, starter, cart girl, guys in the shop and our waitress all made us feel like they were genuinely glad we were there.

My first time at Ram's Hill

I have been looking forward to playing this course for a while. We got some time off during the week and found a good rate...so I couldn't wait to play.

.I knew about the fairway fungus, but the course was way too wet for a mid morning round. The fairways and tee boxes were soggy. We had to navigate around bare patches and wet ground on most fairways. I prefer to play the ball as it lies, but it wasn't really possible with the conditions on the course.

The staff we encountered were friendly and the course layout was excellent. I only wished the course was in better condition.

Taco shack was not available even though we were told that it was :( The cookie lived up to its reputation though.

I've heard a lot of great things about the course, but it really didn't live up to expectations. It might be because we played during the week or because they are getting ready to close for the season?

I'm sure they are hoping for better conditions next season...so am I.

Big greens with lots of breaks

Great layout. The big greens are its defense. Not so many houses around yet, so you can still get away with some miss hits! Great Friendly staff all day! Worth he drive from San Diego on occasion.

The greens were not as fast as usual . Some of the greens were spray painted, many brown areas on he fairway. Still a nice place to play, but this was the worst I’ve seen here ever.

Major Maintenance Issues

Many fairways had bare patches that were very wet. Some greens had dead spots around edges, with one green having 2 large “patches” in it. Pace of play was horrible given they took me out of my foursome and had me play as a single FOLLOWING A MEMBER TOURNAMENT with all (multiple) 4somes.

Commented on 04/17/2021

Dear golferdude26,

I'm very sorry you were disappointed in your round. Please understand that when you booked as a single, the threesome that you booked with requested to our starter that they be allowed to play alone du to Covid concerns. We always honor those request. As a single I'm sure it did seem like the pace of play was slow but our carts GPS tracked the average round on 4/15 as 4:09.
Rams Hill takes great pride in the awards we have won over the years for our course conditioning. Unfortunately, this fall right after we mowed our newly planted ryegrass, unseasonably hot and humid weather brought with it a fungus called Grey Leaf Spot that attacks the crown of the ryegrass plant and is very destructive. Fortunately, we caught and treated the disease immediately and contained the damage to just some of our fairways. This particular disease attacked us as well as some courses in the Coachella Valley that overseeded in the same window as we did. Fortunately, our greens, tees and roughs are all very good and have not been affectedWith all of that said, we are disappointed in the conditions of those fairways and have tried to do all we can to help them heal, but you only really get one shot at planting ryegrass. The fairways will heal later this month when warmer weather allows our bermuda grass base to awaken from winter dormancy and we should return to the conditioning we and our guests have come to expect and appreciate.
I hope that you will come back when we are again in pristine condition.

Harry Turner
COO/GM
Rams Hill

Closest Palm Desert-Type Course to San Diego

Rams Hill reminds you of the Palm Desert/La Quinta type courses, but up to 50 miles closer for SD locals. It's situated in a gated community with a good restaurant (one of the better Rueben sandwiches I've had outside of NY) that has great views of the 18th green and the 1st tee box. The course is setup as an out and back with no turn after the 9th. There is a snack station at the 10th/14th tee box with drinks and free street tacos. The course condition is generally solid. Good tee boxes, good rough, good grass around the greens. The greens are a bit hard (not necessarily fast, but not slow), going into the summer. The fairways are decent for the most part, but can be a bit muddy. There's elevation change even though it's out in the seemingly flat desert. The practice range is fantastic, Titleist balls with the ability to practice out of bunkers.

Beautiful course

Certainly worth the drive from Palm Desert.. Great course in a beautiful setting.

Make sure you aim for the Grass and not “The Green Stuff

Met some friends from San Diego at Rams Hill for a round on Saturday. They have played the course a number of times over the years and have great things to say about it. One friend warned me that the recent reviews said that some of the fairways were patchy and the course was willing to offer up a free round if you were not satisfied with the conditions. It was crazy windy on the day we played, with the winds probably gusting close to 40mph and they picked up on the 4th hole for us.

The issues with the fairways seem to be near and surrounding all of the large fairway bunkers. Looks like the groundskeepers have either sprayed some sort of green ground cover/paint on the fairways, so that they do not look brown from the tee boxes. I hit poor tee shots on the first two holes and landed right in the middle of “The Green Stuff.” When I hit out of this area, both time it was damp mud below “The Green Stuff” and my ball went no where.

The rest of the round, I took the time off the tee to aim at the other side of the fairway from the fairway bunkers or at the larger, lush patches of grass in the fairway. Sometimes they were much shorter than I wanted to hit off the tee box, but I knew it would be better than playing out of the gunk.

I am no groundskeeper, but I would think that the course should lay down a bunch of grass seed and then cover it with “The Green Stuff” and try to get it to grow back and just place some Ground Under Repair stakes up. Give people a free drop outside of that area and let the grass grow back.

I was aware of the issue before we drove to the course, I had some fun with my friends and I shot an 86 in really heavy wind, so I did not ask for my money back. Overall it was a pretty good day. I hope that they can fix the fairway situation, so that the next time we come back the course is in tip top shape.

The only other issue that zi had was on a busy Saturday morning (we teed off around 8:30am) there was only 10 stalls on the driving range set up. Everyone had to wait for 10 or 15 minutes to warm up and there was 2 or 3 people waiting at each stall. Meanwhile, they were only using half of the range space. On. Tuesday or Wednesday it makes sense to limit the range, so that the grass can grow back, but not on the weekend with a full tee sheet. You guys are better than that.

Commented on 03/24/2021

Dear Brostyle1972,

Thanks for being a fan of Rams Hill. I'm sorry some of the fairways were not up to their usual immaculate conditions. Rams Hill takes great pride in the many awards we have won for our course conditioning This fall right after overseed, we encountered a very hot and humid stretch that brought with it a very destructive fungus. We were very lucky that we caught and treated it quickly, and isolate the damage only to some of the fairways. As I'm sure you saw the greens, tees, roughs were very good and I expect the fairways to heal as the bermudagrass comes out of dormancy in the next 2-3 weeks. I hope to see you again soon when Rams Hill returns to its normal supreme conditions. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me.

Very sincerely,

Harry Turner
COO/GM
Rams Hill
harry@ramshill.com

Warner Springs, California
PALM SPRINGS, CA | Enjoy 4 nights' accommodations at La Quinta Resort & Club and 4 rounds of golf at Stadium and Nicklaus Tournament Courses at PGA WEST, and Indian Wells Celebrity Course and Players Courses.
PALM SPRINGS, CA | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at La Quinta Resort & Club and 6 rounds of golf at Westin Mission Hills - Pete Dye Course, Mission Hills North - Gary Player Signature Course, Indian Wells Resort courses, PGA WEST Pete Dye Mountain Course, and PGA WEST Pete Dye Dunes Course
PALM SPRINGS, CA | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at Renaissance Esmeralda Resort & Spa, and 2 rounds of golf at Indian Wells Golf Resort - Celebrity & Players Courses
PALM SPRINGS, CA | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at Renaissance Esmeralda Resort & Spa and 2 rounds of golf at Indian Wells Golf Resort - Celebrity & Players courses.
PALM SPRINGS, CA | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at Westin Mission Hills and 3 rounds of golf at Westin Mission Hills - Pete Dye Course, MIssion Hills North - Gary Player Signature Course, and Indian Wells Resort.