Type Semi-Private/Resort
Rams Hill Golf Club

Year Built 1983
Architect Ted Robinson, Sr. (1983) Tom Fazio (2007) Dennis Wise (2007) Jackson Kahn Design (2013)

Golf Simulator Yes

Beverage Carts

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 37

Magnificent golf course

This is in my opinion the very best public golf courses in all of San Diego County, and yes that includes some private ones I have played, like the Torrey Pines, Bridges, and Crosby.
Top rate, perfect greens, true rolls, speed was 11, all tee boxes totally level, mint, Pro V practice balls, includes w/ green fee in pyramids w/ very nice practice areas both front and back. Lots of water on many holes as well as perfect conditioned bunkers. I would HIGHLY recommend this course to good golfers who what the very best value for the price. Very picturesque . Fairways perfectly mowed, top condition, no weeds or gopher holes. This was a terrific golfing experience definitely will be playing this course again soon,. Loved IT!

Memorable golf and hospitality

This is one of those courses you will always remember playing. Beautiful course with very gracious people running the course. Wish we had time after our round to enjoy dining on the patio.
The road to Borego is rough at first, not lit and no cell service along the route. So-tee off by 11 (in January) so you can finish your round and get back to CA86 by dark.

Great Course, slow play

I live in LA Quinta, but enjoy making the short trip to play this great course. I really enjoy the layout and the conditions of the course in general. The front nine played at a very good pace with hardly any wait. The back nine however played brutally slow. There were a couple groups in front of us that were playing the tips, by the looks of their swings the should moved up a couple tees.

This is a nice course but not in the best condition. Pace of play was slow especially the back 9. Tired of courses charging big money and they don't marshal the the pace of play.

Pace of play was very slow because they had a golf tournament in front of us. They should have informed us of the tournament when we booked.
We were not able to finish the round because of it.

Bring your wallet

My husband and I have been coming to this course since 1984. We have been through all the different owners and iterations, ( Montesoro, etc.) The course is still beautiful and fun to play, but now the General Manager is just seeing how far he can raise the price before it breaks. We played today AS GUESTS, which is a discounted price and paid $310 for the two of us. Really??? Had we not been guests we would have paid $410!! Come on people, get real. I can go to Palm Desert and play gorgeous courses for way less AND have more places to stay and prime restaurants to visit. It’s Borrego. We won’t be returning at these prices when we have other desert choices. The guest rate we paid at de Anza was $89.00. It is a beautiful, fun course too.

Well worth the trip

Although it's quite a haul to Borrego Springs from San Diego, it was absolutely worth the trip. It's another world out there - Palm Springs-like mountain views and desert rough. And when the winds pick up like they did that day, man, that back nine gets LONG! But I loved it all!

Possibly in decline?

I have been playing Rams Hill every winter for the last 5 or 6 years (I think since they re-opened in 2015). The course has traditionally been in excellent shape and represented a great value.

However, this winter (December '21), the course wasn't in great shape. The tee boxes and greens were great, but the fairways were a little disappointing. There were several areas that looked like ground under repair.

The rates have also gone up substantially in the last couple of years, and the rates for '22 are getting pretty high. If the course is in the shape it has been historically, I think it still represents a good value. I plan to play it 1 more time this winter, so I will come back and write a follow-up review if my experience was an outlier or if the course conditions are on the decline.

Commented on 01/03/2022

Ryan thanks for taking the time to post a review and for being a long time fan of Rams Hill. Please do come back in the spring and write a follow up review. We are patching a couple of areas in the fairways where we have had drainage issues and recovery in those areas is slow in December with the cool temps. Your comments on the greens, tees and roughs are appreciated and we will always strive for the best possible playing conditions at Rams Hill.

Harry Turner-GM/COO

Good layout, disappointing conditions

I have heard so many positive reviews of Rams hill noting fun layout, pristine conditions, and worth the trip from San Diego. I have missed playing there twice with my group of buddies who raved about it, so finally had a tee time to take my Dad there for Christmas. The layout was very fun, but conditions were very poor. Bad burn spots, muddy patches throughout fairways with no rain for two weeks or so, and some greens pretty bumpy. If this was my home track and I paid $50, no problem. But a 1.5 hour drive each way at $130 per, I would not commit that much time or money to playing there again. Hopefully this is a one off as the course receives a lot of notoriety. Maybe they are dealing with a fungus or something and it will improve?

Unforgettable

A little bit confused about Gold and Blue tee ,no wonder scores was better

Rams Tournament

Course was in great shape.
Customer service is top shelf they go above and beyond to help you out .
The staff where great and put on a great tournament well worth it.

Perfect

Course was recommended to us by another golfer. What a great golf course from the guys who handled your bags to the starter.
Course was in perfect condition. Would play this course over the Pete Dye Stadium course.

GPS

If a course has no physical yardage markers the player is dependent on the GPS system shown in the mandatory cart. If that GPS isn’t working the players are playing in a strange land consequently the players are guessing club selections throughout the round. Here the front nine does not return to the clubhouse in order to exchange the cart or have the GPS corrected. At $130 a round I expect top maintenance for players. After reporting my experience when returning the cart I was offered an apology. Too late!!!

You’ll want to check the box on this track. We’ll worth the drive.

Warner Springs, California
PALM SPRINGS, CA | Enjoy 4 nights' accommodations at La Quinta Resort & Club and 4 rounds of golf at Stadium and Nicklaus Tournament Courses at PGA WEST, and Indian Wells Celebrity Course and Players Courses.
PALM SPRINGS, CA | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at La Quinta Resort & Club and 6 rounds of golf at Westin Mission Hills - Pete Dye Course, Mission Hills North - Gary Player Signature Course, Indian Wells Resort courses, PGA WEST Pete Dye Mountain Course, and PGA WEST Pete Dye Dunes Course
PALM SPRINGS, CA | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at either Miramonte Indian Wells Resort & Spa or Renaissance Esmeralda Resort & Spa, Indian Wells, and 2 rounds of golf at Indian Wells Golf Resort - Celebrity & Players Courses.
PALM SPRINGS, CA | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at Westin Mission Hills and 3 rounds of golf at Westin Mission Hills - Pete Dye Course, MIssion Hills North - Gary Player Signature Course, and Indian Wells Resort.