Type Semi-Private/Resort
Rams Hill Golf Club

Year Built 1983
Architect Ted Robinson, Sr. (1983) Tom Fazio (2007) Dennis Wise (2007) Jackson Kahn Design (2013)

Golf Simulator Yes

Beverage Carts

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 36

An outstanding golf adventure.

The adventure began at 3:30 am from Orange County arriving at the Rams Hill course just before 7am. We were cordially greeted and directed to the Practice range. The range was stocked with Pro V-1 golf balls stacked in a pyramid as well as hand held range finders at each station. As we were warming up Mike, the manager of the course, greeted us and brought us our carts loaded and ready to go. He was very friendly and welcomed us to the Club as though we were special guests. He gave us an overview of the amenities and pointed us towards the first hole when we were finished warming up.
I have never been to a course as well kept as Rams Hill. Even in the dead of winter the fairways were dark green and perfectly manicured. The greens although very challenging were absolutely perfect. The course has a number of strategically placed bunkers of varying heights, each filled with perfectly raked, white fluffy sand. They seemed to attract the ball quite often due to the slope.
It was cool in the morning but warmed up as we played. The last few holes it began to get a little windy. We finished a little before noon and stopped for lunch at the club house. Food was great and the staff was cordial and professional. We decided that since we had come such a long distance we were going to play another 18. Staff changed out our cart so we wouldn't get stranded.
The wind was a little cool and challenging but towards the 2nd nine it calmed down. We finished the last hole just at dusk. As we finished, staff members came out and cleaned our clubs. Mike greeted us again and thanked us for visiting the course.
Playing this course was truly an adventure and a once in a lifetime experience. I belong to a private club and have not experienced a more professional and friendly staff. We were treated as though we were PGA tour players. Thanks for a great time. We will be back.

e4fb46aa-6108-5f66-a7ac-8190d69841d4
Commented on 01/02/2018

Thank you EGL01 for the five star rating and course feedback on your recent visit to Rams Hill. We hope to see you hit the greens again the New Year!

What happened to one of my favorite golf courses.

This was the third time I’ve played this course, and I have never seen it in worse condition.
The greens were thin had some bare spots, looked weak.
Green speed was around 10.5 which is ideal for resort play. The starter told me they were 12.
The fairways had a lot of thin and bare spots, turf conditions were not good.
Areas around greens were also in spotty condition.
This golf course is the best designed golf course in the area, to see it in this condition broke my heart.

Rams Hill

No doubt a gem of a course. Worth the drive! Beautiful layout. Friendly staff. On this day it was slow pace. I am sure it was one or two groups that caused the slow play. But would encourage any golfer to go play this course. Stunning views. Challenging from any tee.

An incredible Jem!

I play all over the USA at 60 to 80 nice courses and this is my favorite place. Just great energy! They have the place looking great, some repaired areas from summer damage are still taking hold but coming in nicely and the greens are perfect, 11 to 12 that day. The staff is always happy to help. Resteraunt food is very good, (I had the Mahi) its just take out only, because of restrictions, sad, some of the best views you will have from a patio! Still a magical place.

This course is worth the crazy drive!

We have played Rams Hill on more than one occasion. Although the course has been in better condition it is still great. It is a great layout. We will continue to play Rams Hill in the future.

Poor value

Great course design but conditions did not warrant the price charged

I had my first hole in one on hole 9, this is the biggest gem of a course in all of California

Great course, slow pace

Very fun golf course in good condition. A few pins were in dicey locations bordering on unfair as there was no safe option for your approach shot. Greens rolled well and were fast. Only real complaint was the abysmal pace of play. Our round took 5 hours. The cart said we were about 30 minutes behind pace for most of the round. The group behind us was on our tee box with us waiting for 5 holes or so. No marshal working back from the clubhouse telling groups to speed up.

Poor Golf Shop Management

I booked as a single, 3 other players also booked the same tee time, so I was part of a 4-some, great. The golf shop allowed 2 players in the 4-some go out as a 2-some and the 4th players was a no show. So I was pushed back a tee time put out as a single behind the 2-some. Made for a very long round.

Commented on 01/09/2021

Dear u4042481,

I want to thank you for recommending Rams Hill but and disappointed in the 3 star rating and am sorry to hear about your experience with our pro shop and Starter. I'm sorry it's taken me a couple of days to respond, but I wanted to fully investigate your experience in order to better instruct our staff. What I did find was that the twosome that you were originally paired with requested to the Starter that they be allowed to go out as two. Because of COVID concerns we always honor those request. It's unfortunate that you had to play as a single because I know it can seem like a very long day, playing behind other groups. Using our GPS tracking and cart monitoring I was able to verify that your round was played in 4hrs and 18 minutes and that as a single player it likely did feel like a much longer round than that. I hope to see you again soon and Rams Hill and we will work hard to make your next visit a better one. Sincerely, Harry Turner GM/COO Rams Hill

Rams Hill

Rams Hill is truly a hidden gem tucked away in Borrego Springs. If you are a SoCal golfer and you haven't checked Rams Hill off your bucket list you are missing out!

Course was in fantastic shape. Greens were running quick and firm. Course is challenging, but there are opportunities to score.

Excited to book my next round at Rams Hill!

Friendly course

We chose to make a longer drive to find this course. 90 minute drive from Palm Springs, and we enjoyed our round, but would probably not make the drive again. Was expensive and the course was not in great shape. Very friendly staff and we were paired up with some members who were extremely nice and made our round a pleasure.

Commented on 12/17/2020

ErikaGibbs10 I appreciate you taking the time to write a review and am very sorry we failed to meet your expectations. Rams Hill has always prided itself on pristine conditions and have won many awards because of them. In 386 reviews through Golf Advisor, we average 4.8 Stars and conditioning has always been a major factor in those ratings. Just prior to opening in mid-October as a result of the unseasonably hot weather, Rams Hill was attacked by a fungus called Grey Leaf Spot and we have not yet recovered. With the work we are doing and will continue to do, we anticipate being back in our typical pristine condition in January. With our long track record I would hope that you would give us another chance and visit again after the first of the year. I look forward to seeing you again. Harry Turner GM/COO RamsHill

California Advisor

Rams Hill

Rode the Blues (6369/71.2/131) with John and Tim in the GK Plays in around 4.5H. Good POP for a Sunday afternoon event. Overcast and fairly calm in the 60's made for nice December playing conditions. Carts all lined up and ready with everyone's name on them pre event, complimentary range balls, and sandwiches/cookies/drinks all ready after the round. Don't see how under COVID rules things could have been improved upon. Thanks to John and everyone responsible for an extremely well run event.

Tom Fazio design, really enjoy the course layout. Good collection of diverse, fun to play holes. Elevation changes, 97 well placed traps and a decent amount of water. The course is fair, not overly tight and an excellent test of golf.

Tees were lush and well maintained. Large, level with few divots.

Fairways were semi lush and well maintained. Some thinner areas but very good overall.

Rough was lush. Thick and long enough to make longer clubs a risky play. Get outside the maintained rough and the native rough is a likely lost ball.

Sand traps were nicely maintained with thick, good quality sand. For a public course in a windy area with close to 100 traps total, hard to imagine any course having daily fee players doing any better.

Greens were firm, smooth, medium fast and rolled well. Lots of ball marks fellow players with a few bare areas along the extremities that did not really affect play.

The customer service has always been exceptional here. No on course services today due to COVID, restaurant take out only. Good GPS on the carts. The setup of the all grass driving range with the complementary Pro-V range balls is top notch. Numerous grass greens set up as targets in 25-30 yard increments so you could hit almost any club and feel like you were hitting into a green. Definitely recommended.

Worth the trip!

You will not be disappointed when you make the trek to Rams Hill, unless you were expecting to see Bighorn Sheep on the course. The ride into the clubhouse was scenic, and the starter was friendly and let us know about all the amenities(golf and otherwise). The staff in the Clubhouse was also friendly, and the structure itself is very nice! If only we could have had a bite after the round while overlooking the course(Covid restrictions). The course is fair, fun, and the greens are challenging as well. I was very good at leaving myself in the wrong place early in the round which made for some very tough up and downs. Tee boxes are great, greens are great, and within a couple weeks the over seed will grow in very nice in the fairways I'm sure. If this course was in a more populated area, we would not have played it as the price point would have been $40-75 higher. Take the time and go play here, and enjoy the time away from the rest of the World.

Rams Hill a Gem!

Played in the first annual Ramateur tournament, and couldn’t have been more impressed with the course. We also stayed at a condo on-site and Will Mayo took amazing care of us for our round and stay.
Can’t wait to come back for my next boys trip!!

Best Golf Experience In Socal

Wow! You will not be disappointed with Rams hill. From an incredibly scenic drive in to welcoming staff to a fantastic property, Rams Hill is a must play

Absolutely worth playing for anyone in Southern California, put simply you will not find a golf experience that is comparable

Rams - thanks so much for the hospitality and I cannot wait to get back soon!

Warner Springs, California