Type Private
Style Links
Newcastle United Golf Club
Powered by GolfNow.co.uk

Year Built 1892
Architect Old Tom Morris (1892)

Metal Spikes Allowed Yes

Catering

Good condition

I am a local golfer and never played this course before, I really enjoyed the course. Greens excellent, fairways good, overall very impressed.

My Old Club

Was a member here for 11years, it was nice to play again, still a tough but fair course, been back a couple of times since enjoyed the afternoon.

Good but not as good as it could be

The quality of golf course is aligned to its footballing namesake, good, but not great, whether intentional or not it’s a pretty good analogy. It’s good, don’t get me wrong it’s a good course, but with a bit of investment it could be outstanding.

I played this morning a good welcome in the clubhouse and a couple of tips before I headed off, I was able to start a bit earlier that planned and this was great.

On to the course and fundamentally it needed a good mow. On most holes it was difficult to identify the fairway from the first cut and there was plenty of clover, however, this wasn’t too off putting especially on the back nine as it looked like the greenskeepers had been out and there was more definition and less clover. Where the grass has been mown, the second challenge arises, this is the significant ridging on the course with leads to the peaks being devoid of grass whilst the troughs are luscious. The greens were slow, very slow but consistent, however, I do think they could be better. All in all the course does need a bit of investment to get it so looking spectacular and playing like a really high quality course.

I know that sounds a bit moany, but it’s not. I paid £15 to play and that represented pretty good vfm. The course is well laid out, it’s challenging but wide enough for the higher handicapper, the course was well drained and it was easy to navigate around. The scallies mentioned in other reviews were no where to be seen (probably too early for them) but there were no rakes in the bunkers which meant I probably left someone later on with a couple of challenging lies!

Unfortunately the clubhouse was closed (closed Mon, Wed and Fri) at the end of my round so I didn’t get to enjoy any of the hospitality mentioned in the course overview.

All in all it was a good course, but one that could be amazing.

Cheap and cheerful

Played here a few times as close to work and always pick a game off for £10. Course in places for beginners is difficult but the rest is nice and open and in good condition so no complaints. No chance of finding your ball if you hit the rough. Nice day out, other golfers are friendly enough and so are the staff. However, watch out for the hoodrats who are always pestering you for a "free ball" or a smoke or stealing balls. Probably frowned upon to give them a clip ? Oh and an inconsiderate dog walk sitting on the green and wouldn't budge until he was ready. Apart from the lunatics, I'll play again!

Nice course nice people

Played this course for the 1st time, enjoyed the game nice course not as flat as you would think being next to town moor, well worth a visit, pro very friendly good atmosphere around the place

First time

Great value for money at £8 each. Tee off at 0900. Not to busy and course is in good shape albeit the bunkers were GUR. All in all an excellent day and will certainly return.

Good game on a decent course

Course was in great condition, some great holes and a friendly atmosphere. Enjoyed my game.

Course in great condition for time of year , greens in fantastic condition and quite quick , bunkers were only let down , club shop staff were very friendly . Definitely go back

Ups and downs

Great value for money fairways long plenty of dog legs on the course greens are kept well fairways could do with a good downpour like all golf courses around here bunkers are well positioned definatley play again

Okay

As I played this course for free thanks to American Golf' s offer then this review reflects this fact. The course was reasonable but was very flat, it was well laid out and the condition was good. The pace of play was not helped by a very slow three baller in front of me, so slow that I played the first and second holes again and still caught them up at 7th! Overall the course was okay but I would not pay the full price green fees in future. My course at Arcot Hall is much better.

Good days golf

Excellent value for money. Course in great condition. Par 3 under repair but considering the weather we have had think this was exceptional by staff to get the course in such a good condition. Course not to demanding and open, so gives everybody a chance what ever level they play at.

Exceptional for the recent weather

The course was wet in places under foot but what can you expect for the time of year, where many courses were closed this stayed open. All winter greens but it still allowed us to get out and enjoy the fresh air after being sidelined for so long. Thanks for having us, we’ll be back again I’m sure!

Great Course, awful members

Played on my own and got stuck behind 3 members on the 3rd tee, rather than being polite and letting me play through I got stuck behind them all the way round. To the point that I was stood on 4/5 tee boxes with them and they wouldn’t even acknowledge me, disgusting attitude. Especially when I was considering joining this course as a new member this coming season. Something that has not made me reconsider my decision as this has happened on numerous occasions.

First Knock This Year

I was a member here for 11 years, and it is still a testing course. If you play well here with all the undulations and unforgiving rough, it will put you in good stead for to conquer lots of other courses.

Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne