Type Private
Style Links
Newcastle United Golf Club
Powered by GolfNow.co.uk

Year Built 1892
Architect Old Tom Morris (1892)

Metal Spikes Allowed Yes

Catering

Rollercoaster!

A very wide open course that is extremely forgiving and In my opinion it is a decent course for beginners.

However, when you finish playing the 18th it’s like you have had a day out at Alton Towers because every single fairway is lumpy and so uncomfortable.

The greens are slow, but not in too bad condition.

To be honest, the best thing about the day was getting to play in the snow for a couple of holes!

A decent starting course for my first game back after lockdown, but will not be returning as they’re are far better courses in the area for similar price.

A good test on a good course with excellent staff

I’ve played here a few times now. Liam in the shop is great (nothing too much trouble etc). The course was in good condition - the greens had recently been tined and were a bit of a challenge as a result. You get a good test on this course due to almost every fairway being quite undulating - it tests different shots.

DECENT COURSE

As my flat overlooks the course I thought I'd get my clubs out for the first time in 15 years. The course seldom gets too busy and as I was playing by myself I was let through by a couple of groups, so not too much waiting around. The condition was OK and the greens ran pretty well and overall it's relatively flat. I was glad to see that most of the fairways were pretty wide and relatively unforgiving.

I've played at a lot of courses across the country over the last 40 years and this one is definitely in the decent category. A bit exposed as it's one of the highest points in Newcastle and maybe not the most picturesque but the sun shining on the undulating fairways can make it a beautiful place. I've seen some comments about the course being 'in the middle of a council estate'. There are houses on one side about 300m away across the Moor but for the more discerning you can look towards the £500K (private) luxury flats on the other side instead. As someone once said '...Just what were you expecting to see from a Torquay Hotel window? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon?' Anyway, if people are bothered about the area they could maybe play somewhere in Surrey instead.

I'll definitely be playing quite a few more rounds in future, but then it is good value for money as part of a package and I just live round the corner.

Lovely course

3 of us played here for the 1st time today. Course was well set out with some very challenging long holes especially for a novice like me. We teed off early and the course was still covered in ice but it thawed out. We will be back soon hopefully when the weather is better and not blowing a gale as it is quite exposed in places. All in all a good day out

Flat and boring

In the middle of a council estate, with no coverage. Just wide open and flat, but with bumpy fairways. Very poor course.

The course is very forgiving.

Had a great day at Nufc golf course would recommend this for anyone that is new or just returning from lock down . We will be returning thanks for a great day.

Brilliant course

First time playing here and will definitely play again, really good course and very forgiving

NUFC Golf club review

A glance of the club map, and the course is laid out well. A mixture of small and large greens , to suit all. Bunkers are not badly kept, but the one downfall for me, every fairway, has a ridged grove, even if you play a good drive down the fairway, you could still have a poor second shot, either playing above or below the ball, I don’t mind a few holes like that, but this course has every fairway ridged.

Great course we'll looked after the the greens where beautiful. Bit windy so was I bit of a challenge. Great course for a beginner like myself to learn on.

So glad I visited this Course

Despite living in Newcastle this was my first visit to the course, and I was not disappointed at all. The fairways and greens were in immaculate condition. The course has gentle inclines but nothing steep, which made walking perfect as the golf carts had been booked out, and if I’m honest I’m really glad as it’s so peaceful despite being in the heart of the city. I will be going back again - definitely worth a visit

Prepare for speed

Course is for the middle of a city. Very bumpy fairways but very nice and well. Maintained greens, fast. Tee times are only 8 minutes apart, really put a dampener on play as you were constantly chased and hurried on your play.

Great round

Not the first time I’ve played here but I was very impressed how well the course has held up considering how much rain we’ve had recently. Greens appear well looked after and a great pint in the club house afterwards. Will definitely be back.

Glad I'm not a member.

Although some leeway has to be given for winter and the general weather, the course was just not up to scratch.

The temporary tee boxes were just put anywhere, most not even flat for set up. Most greens were in play which was a bonus, however the temporary greens were as bad as the tee boxes. One literally set up on what could only be described as a hill peak with ridges on the 13th.

Glad I only paid £11 to pay but even then I think I have been overcharged. Membership fee is clearly based on the club name rather than the quality of the course as even in the summer I can't see how you could charge this for the layout and holes.

Anonymous

Winter Golf

Staff great, course in good condition considering time of year. Clubhouse closed due to pandemic. Locker room facilities available. Great value. Will visit again my third visit

Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne
Ponteland, Northumberland
Ryton, Gateshead
Dudley, Northumberland
Gateshead, Gateshead
ST. ANDREWS | Enjoy 6 nights' accommodations at Ardgowan Hotel and 6 rounds of golf at Jubilee Course, Dumbarnie Links, Carnoustie, New Course, Old Course (Via Ballot), and Kingsbarns.
SOUTHPORT | Enjoy 5 nights' accommodations at Vincent Hotel in Southport and 5 rounds of golf at Hillside, Royal Liverpool, Formby, Royal Lytham & St. Annes, and Royal Birkdale.
SOUTHWEST SCOTLAND | Enjoy 5 nights' accommodations at Marine Hotel at Royal Troon and 5 rounds of golf at Western Gailes, Dundonald, Prestwick, Royal Troon, and Ailsa Course (Turnberrry).
WALES | Enjoy 5 nights' accommodations at Y-Branwen in Harlech and Coldra Court in Celtic Manor and 5 rounds of golf at Aberdovey, Royal St. Davids, Pennard, Royal Porthcawl, and Celtic Manor 2010.
NORTHERN IRELAND | Enjoy 5 nights' accommodations at Bayview Hotel in Bushmills and Burrendale Hotel in Newcastle and 5 rounds of golf at Portmarnock, Portstewart, Royal County Down, Ardglass, and Royal Portrush.