In the Bay Area, the South Course at Chuck Corica Park was totally rebuilt by Rees Jones and reopened in 2018.

Corica Park - South Course

Year Built 2018
Fairways Santa Ana Bermuda Grass
Architect Rees Jones (2018) Steve Weisser (2018)

Carts No

Nice link style course

tldr: great course for a muni with challenging greens that are well kept for being public. Skip the cart and walk it

Very fast greens for a public muni (we played in mid November so ymmv). Pace of play was good but we played on a Monday of a holiday week.

One thing to keep in mind is that besides the fast greens there are holes where the greens are shielded by multiple traps. Unless you’re a pro and can hit high booming long irons or hybrids, think about laying up and playing an extra shot. IMO that’s kinda over the top for a muni.

Old school golf

I was impressed with the layout and conditions of the course as it reminded me of the links style in Scotland. I have a bushnell yardage watch that would not work as the display showed the old Jack Clark course and the others. Also besides the 150 and 100 yard markers there were no sorrinker heads with yardages so we were playing blind. I would recommend more yardages to help with the pace of play but other than that I thought the course was excellent and will definitely be returning in the future

Gem GC in Alameda

Enjoy my game playing this course. Excellent condition and superb staff!

Will be back (played South course)

Played from the Blues (I’m an average golfer +14) on a Thursday morning.
Fair course with enough distance and undulating greens to keep it challenging and fun. Speaking of greens, they were in fantastic shape.
Pace of play was a little slow given we played on a weekday but the Marshalls kept things in order.
Staff was fine and the value was fair. Getting a tee time for a non-local has always been tricky here but I’d definitely play here again.
Compare to it’s neighbor; Oakland Metro (which I like for what it is), Corica South is a step above.

No drink cart. For the curse and during week day, the price is high.

Despite A Few Hiccups, A Challenging 9 holes

Played front 9 only on perfect Friday afternoon. Since the 9th hole does not route past the clubhouse, you would think they have a safe path and clear instructions to return there after 9 holes. Nope. I and several others had to drive back -- facing incoming shots on the 9th hole to guess our way back to the clubhouse. C.mon, for these high $ green fees you should be more professional that this.

Holes are beautiful and in excellent condition but playing the hokey 6th hole (hillside short par 4) and then the elevated tee par three 7th hole is a guaranteed delay of 15 min or more on to your round. Groups back up badly.

Hope to return some day to play the full 18, but given the slow pace of play and the pricey green fees, I am not in a big rush to return -- given all the other great courses within a 30-45 min drive of this one.

Note -- It WAS nice that the refreshment cart came by on a Friday afternoon. They should really have a full time snack bar on the 6th tee (or a puppet show or crochet class), since you are going to be waiting there for awhile.

Hottest Day of the Year. No Water Available. Course Doesn't Care

The course itself is interesting. A links course with trees... Greens good, fairways, etc average. A lot of money to play, if you take a cart, which on one of the hottest/humid days of the year, we decided to do. We saw the beverage cart on hole 4 and never after that. We made the turn at about 2:00. Had already noted that there wasn't a lot of water on the course, which is already surprising, but on the back nine, the only water was on 14 and it was empty. Because it was 100+ degrees and there must have been another 20 foursomes behind us, we called the pro shop to ask them to get some water out to the stations. They said they would "take care of it". I hadn't seen a marshal or anyone on the course since the front nine. After 16, I cut over to the restroom by hole 3/4? and the water was empty. When we came to 18 tee, while waiting for the group in front, I went and checked the water station at 14 and it was still empty.

After the round, I went to the pro shop and asked how on the hottest day, they weren't running a cart or providing water on course. I got no answer, other than "could buy in restaurant". Ridiculous for a course where you are paying $100. I won't be back.

Tour quality greens

It definitely took a couple holes to get used to these amazing greens. I think I would’ve preferred playing the black tees versus the blue but it’s a nice layout in decent condition. I especially liked the tea grounds as they were nice and level all the way around the golf course!

Beautiful course, very expensive

Very well maintained. I got a $30 tee time and jumped on it, as the $90 coat is too much for me. The course was awesome, but they being said I don't think it's that much better than metropolitan monarch bay, at least not enough to he twice the coat.

The only con to this course besides the price is there was a lack of places to fill up water bottles, and no bathrooms on the back nice.

The greens were impeccable and very challenging.

Actually a good value

I hear a lot of people complain about how pricey this course is but to me it’s a good value, the only courses on its level in the bay are Wente and Harding. Best greens in the Bay Area, fast and lots of undulation. Par 3 and North course are fun also. Don’t listen to the haters play here.

Alameda, California
San Leandro, California
San Leandro, California
Castro Valley, California
Moraga, California
SAN FRANCISCO, CA | Enjoy 2 nights' accommodations at Hotel Kabuki and 2 rounds of golf at Harding Park & Presidio Golf Club.
SAN FRANCISCO, CA | Enjoy 4 nights’ accommodations at Fairmont San Francisco and 4 rounds of golf at TPC Harding Park, Presidio Golf Course, and Half Moon Bay Golf Links-Old & Ocean Courses.
HALF MOON BAY, CA | Enjoy 1 night's accommodation at Half Moon Bay Lodge and 2 rounds of golf at Half Moon Bay Old Course & Half Moon Bay Ocean Course.
HALF MOON BAY, CA | Enjoy 2 nights' accommodations at The Ritz-Carlton Half Moon Bay and 2 rounds of golf at Half Moon Bay Golf Links.
SONOMA, CA | Enjoy 2 nights' accommodations at Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn and 1 round of golf at Sonoma Golf Club.