1 reviews

Year Built 1991
Architect Arthur Hills (1991) Spencer Holt (1991)

Golf School Academy Yes - " Bird Golf Academy"

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in South Carolina (2015 #12)

Playing Multiple Courses 7
Near the Airport 7

This was a terrible golf course for the money, for any money. It was in horrible condition . I play in Alabama at RTJ courses and expected playing at HILTON HEAD at this top rated course by some would be great , is was not. I do not recommend you wasting your money to play here.
Thanks
Wesley Rich

A Must-Play at Hilton Head

WOW. This course doesn’t get the attention it deserves. There’s plenty of fantastic golf at Hilton Head, but I hadn’t heard about Palmetto Hall much, and the Hills course made me wish I had a long time ago. The course’s design is fantastic, with it weaving through the Palmetto Hall community and beautifully working around ponds with its rolling fairways. It’s been very well kept, too, which is especially impressive for a round in the middle of winter. All of the staff deserve praise as well, as they were quick to help me know where to go, and asked if I enjoyed the course when I brought my cart back at the end. I’ll definitely be back to try the Cupp course, but for now, I can absolutely recommend Arthur Hills for a fun, gorgeous round of golf. You’ll have a *hall* of a time.

Poorly managed

Booked this course Online, then the next morning find out its cart path only. Ok so we have played the other 2 courses here which were ok. Teed off at 1230 Rangers coming by every 15 min on the front 9. Play was slow we were a twosome so ok I get it we will be waiting some. By the 8th hole we were waiting an average of 10-15 min on EVERY hole.We get to the back and the 4 ladies in front of us are getting even slower But there is a foursome in front of them that now has a hole Open in front of them...So on the 15th tee box we say ‘enough’ and head in, on the way in we notice 17 and 18 are WIDE OPEN..not a player in sight...I get to the the pro shop and ask the pro why there is no rangers or somebody monitoring the GPS on the carts.? He says well ‘’we are over seeding’’ I say well how do you explain 17,18 being wide open..? He could not give a crap...so play there at your own risk..nice course but very gimmicky with a lot of water and trees.

Fine course, a bit challenging

To me the Hills Course is the definition of "fine." The layout is ok, the conditions are fine, it's a bit of a challenge...but there's nothing exceptional (except perhaps how empty it is?). I would go back, I just wouldn't be in any rush to do so. It is, however, home to the two dumbest par-3s I have ever played.

The par-3 3rd is a blind shot. That's right, you can't see the flag. You can't even see the green! It is long past time to cut down the marsh. Quite a concept. And on the par-3 13th, there is a tree that literally blocks the left third of the green. It's not often you can hit a tee shot directly at the flagstick and end up in the canopy of a tree...but you can here! So they've got this mark of distinction going for them I suppose.

Great Conditions

I’ve played 90% of the courses on HHI over the years and this was one of the best conditioned I’ve seen. Fairways were nicely mown, rough is consistent, and the greens were excellent (firm, smooth, and reasonably fast). Bunkers were a bit firm here and there, but it seemed mostly due to dampness. Teed off at 730 AM and only saw one other group the whole time—finished in just under 3 hours as a twosome.

No postcard holes, but a decent target golf layout and it isn’t overly tight on most holes. Green complexes are more undulating that most other HHI courses, which adds character.

Expensive and not Worth It

These are the SLOWEST greens I have ever putted on in the entirely of this planet we call Earth.

The round was expensive, slow, and the back 9 was the epitome of boring and uninteresting target golf. Admittedly, the front 9 was a ton of fun.

I’m would not recommend this course to anyone at the current price. Seriously, between the service and greens it’s laughable given the other options in Hilton Head.

Not bad for the money

Greens were painted, but roll was fairly true. Like most courses that don’t overseed for the winter, fairways were somewhat ragged but not as bad as some other courses down here.

It was my first time playing this course.
I was not impressed.
The greens were furry
Also the greens were painted green.
Who does that?
Maybe it’s early in the season!
But it was my second time out this season.
The pro shot, the starter and cart lady were very friendly

Fun layout - good greens

I think this course represents one of the best values on HHI. The greens were in very good condition. For mid-March, the fairways were really pretty good. But, lots of tight lies (that wreck havoc with my game!) around the greens. All in all a great round. Pace of play was under four hours.

we came back

We played for the second day in a row. It was a decent otherwise we wouldn't have played. Pace was a a bit slow. Could have used a ranger. We are from the midwest so judging conditions is difficult but we were happy to play

Always a good day for golf

Did mot play well but was paired with some great people and it is always a great day playing golf.

Good value for the money

The course was in decent condition. We like the layout. We booked another tee time for the next day. The people in front of us were extremely slow but finally let us go through on the back nine. If they didn’t we were looking at a four and a half hour round. We finished in a little over four hours which is slow for us.

Challenging but plenty of open areas to hit to

A little slow but we were a twosome with 4 groups of foursomes in front bur really enjoyed the round. Good value, greens were true and fairways decent given the winter grass

Great course, good fun and a great price

Really enjoyed Arthur Hills... nice layout, good condition, good cart path ...no complaints....have just rebooked and at USD 49.99 it's great value..

Enjoyed the Day

Enjoyed the day despite high winds and cart path only. We have had considerable rain in past two days, but course drained very well. Greens were understandably slow, but in good condition. Pace of play was off due to a slow foursome two groups ahead who were likely not accustomed to cart path only, and club selection and conditions were slowing them down.

Pace of play

We had 4.5” of rain in the last two days course wAs cart path only 100% understand pace play was off by 45 minutes +/- still a course you should play if you’re on the iland!. Great staff

BobC

The course was in great shape. Green rolled good. Go play course lots of fun for the money.

Best so far at this price range.

Was very pleasantly surprised. Excellent price for on island. This is a really nice layout. Course was in good shape for this time of year. Tee boxes good, fairways not over seeded so thin but NOT bare spotted so very playable, greens are painted but are in good shape with good bite but a little slow. Bunkers have a good sand base and where well trimmed. Cart paths in excellent condition.
Will play again for sure and would recommend.

3.5196117647
4.1391941176
2003
Hilton Head Island, South Carolina
HILTON HEAD ISLAND, SC | Enjoy 5 nights' accommodation Omni Hilton Head Oceanfront Resort and play 4 rounds of golf at Fazio, Hills and Jones Courses at Palmetto Dunes, and Country Club of Hilton Head.
HILTON HEAD ISLAND, SC | Enjoy 5 nights' accommodations at Sea Pines Golf Resort and play 4 rounds of golf at Heron Point, Atlantic Dunes at Sea Pines Resort, Arthur Hills Course at Palmetto Dunes and Hilton Head National.
KIAWAH ISLAND, SC | Enjoy 5 nights' accommodations in a Resort Class Villa at Kiawah Island Golf Resort and play 4 rounds of golf at Osprey Point, Turtle Point, Cougar Point and Ocean Course.
CHARLESTON, SC | Enjoy 5 nights' accommodations at The Francis Marion Hotel and play 4 rounds of golf at Links at Stono Ferry, Dunes West GC, Charleston National Country Club and Rivertowne Country Club.