Formerly home to a turpentine plantation, the site now offers one of the most environmentally sensitive courses in northwest Florida, Kelly Plantation. The golf course sits along the shores of the Choctawhatchee Bay, sprawling across a waterfront landscape of towering trees and swampy bayous. The course features large, contoured greens and wide, manicured fairways that are in excellent condition but can also be tricky to navigate. The strategically placed hazards also require some careful maneuvering. In addition to being a challenging round, the golf course is also known for its stunning scenic appeal. Throughout the layout, golfers can enjoy panoramic views across the bay to the abundant magnolias and palmettos that are native to Florida's northwest region. For these reasons, Kelly Plantation has received high praise from publications such as Golf Digest and Golf Magazine.

Kelly Plantation Golf Club

Year Built 1998
Architect Fred Couples (1998) Gene Bates (1998) Bob Cupp (1998) Michael Riley (1998)

Golf School Academy Yes - "Strano Golf Academy"

Credit Cards Accepted MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Discover

Snacks, Restaurant

Nice course, bad course scheduling

Overall enjoyed the course and hated the pace of play. Waited for virtually every shot behind a fivesome on a Sunday. Never heard of a course allowing 5s on a weekend. Starter indicated the men’s group would play fast, not to worry. By second hole the wait was on to the point we had two singles join us by the third hole and we still waited for remainder of the round.For the reputation of the course and the green fee paid we expected better.

Kelly plantation

One of the best overall golf courses in Florida.
Service was awesome and the golf course and condition of course was excellent.
Head golf professional Ashton Crowe and his staff were welcoming and provided excellent service.

Fun Layout

The staff could not have been more friendly and ready to help from the time we stepped onto the property. We had an excellent breakfast burrito on the way to the first tee. Once on the course, we enjoyed a challenging but fair layout throughout all 18 holes. The greens were rolling fast and true. I could tell the maintenance staff puts a lot of time and pride into maintaining the course. I look forward to the next time I can play the this gem!

GREAT DAY at Kelly Plantation

Awesome day of golf at Kelly Plantation!!!! Beautiful golf course, and at a facility that truly cares about their golfers...the service is phenomenal!!

Friendly Staff and Fun to Play

We have enjoyed playing Kelly Plantation a number of times during the past few weeks. The golf course is in excellent condition, with smooth fast greens and a lot of character. We, my friends and I, feel the staff in the pro shop the starters, along with the bag boys, all made us feel like valued customers, and made our golf outings at Kelly very special.. Our hats off to Ashton Crowe, Head Professional and his team at Kelly! Wonderful golf experience!

Great course-play in afternoon for best value

Wasn’t sure if this course was going to treat us differently because we were younger and not members. But the staff was so friendly and kind. We tee’d off at 1pm and finished 18 holes by 4:30. They didn’t pair us with anyone (my husband and myself) which was great. The course was so nice! A little difficult at times with tight fairways and fast greens but they told us all that at check in. Would highly recommend!

greens ruin everything

Have played there several times through the years. It seems the management thinks that 3 putt greens are a fun thing. Super fast and won't hold a shot. I suggest the management sent out a survey to the members (I was told members WANT the greens this fast) I would wager they would find out differently..
The shame is the course is a wonderful design and the overall maint. is superb.

Commented on 01/21/2021

Thank you for reviewing the golf course and taking time to do so. In my personal opinion as Head P.G.A. Golf Professional with over 17 years of experience I feel the title of the review is a bit misleading. The golf greens here are in excellent condition and yes they maybe faster than other golf courses and this is by design as well as the time of year it is. The speed of the greens are consistent for all 18 golf holes and our practice green emulates the greens on the course. While we realize faster greens can be a challenge but after lengthy discussions with our members and guest, most prefer the faster greens as opposed to slower ones. It allows the roll of the golf ball to stay online with a smoothness that slower greens just cant provide. The challenge they provide makes for a golf experience that is not only fun but allows the golfer to make choices as to where to hit the ball on the green to set up a good putt. We certainly appreciate every golfers input and learning what some players prefer over others is always educational. Thank you for commenting on the superb conditions. Had I not read the title of this review I would of thought you gave us 5 STARS. We hope to see you back soon. Head P.G.A. Golf Professional Ashton Crowe

Awesome course and staff!

What a great course and the staff was absolutely amazing! We will definitely be back and would highly recommend this course! Thanks to Ashton for going above and beyond to make our visit extra special! If I could give more than 5 stars, I would.

Pace of play

I love this golf course. It is absolutely fine. I played as a one some today because I’m out of town. I would rather the course have told me that it would be better another day due to who was playing in front of me. There was a group of 5 in front of me and a group of 4 in front of them. Both groups pace of play was fine. I left the course after 7 holes because I just couldn’t wait any longer. I would ask with all sincerity and not out of distaste that the staff inform someone that they will have a very long and slow golf round if playing as a group of 1. I understand things can be slow but informing a guest of a 4-5 some in front of the and another in front of that ((tee times) would be of GREAT VALUE to the guest. The staff could not be nicer from beginning to end.

Commented on 01/23/2021

This is the most confusing review I have ever read.

Nice day at Kelly Plantation

Good course, very fair for women and old guys. Good greens, well maintained course. Friendly staff, great starter, and good food in the restaurant. Liked it so much, we will go back Thursday.

This course and it's staff are top class!

The course conditions were great! The early rain caused me to cancel my tee time. Fortunately I called after the rain and was able to play. I met a club member on the range and he was kind enough to play a round with me. After my round I was looking to purchase a souvenir, but the staff was exiting the clubhouse. That's when the Head P.G.A Golf Professional Ashton Crowe made it his personal business to help me. He escorted me back in and treated me like an old friend. I'll definitely play at Kelly Plantation golf course again.

Commented on 01/14/2021

I go to Destin every year and most of my golf is played at Kelly for three reasons: good layout, great conditions and tremendous staff. The greens are super! And Ashton Crowe - the Director Of Golf - does a fantastic job. He's become a friend as we spend so much time at Kelly each year. This past year I also had a great interaction with Grant Pedersen - the assistant golf pro. He, like Ashton, understands what it means to serve!
A special call out to Rob who works in the cart area. He was incredibly helpful each day and went out of his way to make each round special. There is a reason I keep coming back to Kelly every time I'm in Destin: it's the best course with the best people.......period!

Great course, Great people

Course was in pristine shape, greens were the fastest I’ve ever played. The starter (Kim) is a great ambassador for your facility. She went out of her way to make us feel welcome and get us acclimated. Beverage cart girl was excellent and gentleman bartender was great as well! Thanks for a perfect day of golf! Can’t wait to return.

Best Destin Course Yet!

Awesome course, super friendly staff! Been in Destin area 14 days, played golf 8 days, this is the best yet! HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

Great course!

Played here for the first time 1/5/2021. Head Pro Ashton Crowe was great, checked us in and gave us a good course introduction. Sparky the starter dialed us in on course details and his fav holes and holes to strategize our options. CL Sanders course ranger gave us some great dining tips for the area. Brooklyn the beverage cart operator visited us several times and kept us hydrated. Played combo tees around 6100 yards and my wife played Magnolia tees, perfect for both of us to enjoy the course. Greens were fantastic, speedy but manageable. Great lies for winter golf. Challenging layout with plenty of water hazards and bunkers which were very well maintained. Played in three hours forty five min. Wrapped up the round with Travis Johnson taking care if our clubs and giving us some of his favorite watering holes to visit while in town. Enjoyed the golf course and staff so much we came back the next day! Definitely a must play course while in the Destin area.

One of my favorite golf course in the area

Every time that I play golf here they always treat me like a VIP. I just love coming back to play this golf course because I will never get bored playing this golf course over and over again.
The starter today is a new guy named, Sparky and he seemed to be trained well as a great starter. Awesome customer service and business minded person. He made sure that I am well informed of what is going on in the club. Thumbs up!

Beautiful day at a fun course

My daughter & I played as a twosome. The course was in pretty good shape and the staff was awesome.
We had a great time.

Love this course

Always love playing Kelly. Friendly staff and course always in great shape and just a fun course!!!

Semi-Private/Resort