Thistle Golf Club

Greens TifEagle Bermuda Grass
Architect Tim Cate (1999)

Bar

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in North Carolina (2020 #13) (2016 #1) (2015 #9)
  • Golf Advisor: Golfers' Choice (2016 #14)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Course Conditions in the U.S. (2016 #6)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Off-course amenities in the U.S. (2016 #14)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Courses for Layout in the U.S. (2016 #11)

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 15

Philly Advisor

no pushover

This 27-hold layout has some breather holes but overall it is a legitimate challenge. Water is nearly everywhere but only is it put in your face on a few holes. Mostly you can manage it. Greens were super fast and it was only early spring. Contours on greens combined with speeds created some interesting situations. I was fortunate to have been able to play all 27 holes.

Great Layout but VERY Wet

It’s been very wet in Myrtle lately, so it was cart path only, and mud balls were the norm today. Course was playable, but due to rain most holes were cut on crowns to ensure they stayed dry. This made for, let me call it an interesting day with the putter.

Now if I take the wetness away, the layout is amazing. Some really pretty holes. Most greens were in great shape, fairways though wet, were green & healthy. Teeblocks were also in great shape. I’d love to play here again after the course dries out. They have a practice range, which looked good, but was closed due to wetness.

Staff was very friendly. Only issue we really had was at the turn we went in to get sandwiches, and this took a bit of time, as they had to make them as we waited (however they were worth the wait). Bag guys, starter were all amazing. Beer cart girl was around a few times, but looked disinterested as she looked cold.

I paired up with some guys who have a townhouse in North Myrtle, and they say Thistle is one of their favourite courses in the area. I know, if the weather improves, I’ll give Thistle another go.

Great layout

Very nice course with great conditions for January. Greens rolled very nice and quick. Would recommend.

Challenging Layout and Great Time

I have enjoyed my experience every time I play this course. It is rather wet in some areas, but the greens are firm and rolling true.

One if my favorites

Great clubhouse, course was in excellent condition and great food. Played all 3 nines today and had a great time.

I really like this course

Greens were in great shape. Staff is friendly. Good lunch with full bar.

Everything about thus course was fantastic! Some really picturesque golf holes. Course conditions were top notch. This is my favorite course in the sunset beach area. Priced on the higher side, but you get what you pay for.

Very nice

This coarse is a amazing layout with tough hazards. Thistle is honestly the best bang for the buck. Coarse was in great shape, clubhouse food was good, carts were nice to ride, I can't say enough. I would play this coarse Everytime I'm in Myrtle Beach

Must Play

If you're in the N. Myrtle Beach area this is a must play. The course has 27 holes and is very challenging. Course conditions were very good considering the lack of rain they've had. A few dried out areas in the fairways but not bad. Greens rolled very true. Really enjoyed the round as the pace of play was very good.

Good shape

Course is in great shape! Pace of play can be an issue. Will definitely play again.

You can count on Thistle to be one of the best around Myrtle Beach

After weeks of rain up and down the Carolina coasts, we found Thistle to be absolutely playable. The fairways were a little long from not being able to mow but the greens were about as perfect as you can get for a mid November round. Thistle never disappoints. All other courses around were too wet to play.

Florida golfer playing at Thistle

First time playing at Thistle. Played Cameron and Stewart. Both were great layouts. Lots of memorable tee shots. Both courses had plenty of water and sand and required pretty accurate tee shots. Fairways. Tee boxes and greens were in great condition. I will play again when in the area.

Response from on 09/04/2018:
Hi, Jakeb. Thank you for your 5-star rating! We're so glad you enjoyed the layouts. Please book another round with us soon.

Pretty

Very good track. No tricks what you see is what you get.

Response from on 09/04/2018:
Hello, Mackley. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review, and we hope you join us for another round soon.

Hot and humid in Carolina

Course was not real crowded due to the hot, humid day, so we moved around at a decent pace. Only hiccup was we came up on a 5 some of ladies, but were quickly waved through. Tees were a bit worn , but fairways and greens were in excellent shape. Good layout, with a mix of easier and more difficult holes. Would suggest at the prices they charge , range balls ought to be complimentary. Charging $5 for 25 range balls is a gouge.

Response from on 09/04/2018:
Hello. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We're so glad you enjoyed the course, and we hope you join us for another round soon.

Very nice course

We played at 1:00. There were a lot of golfers coming in but the staff was very organized and we got off on time. . The pace of play was fine . The course was in excellent shape and fun to play. Would definitely go back there. A little creepy having cameras in the bathroom right over the toilet

Response from on 09/04/2018:
Hello, and thank you for your 5-star rating! We're so glad you enjoyed the course. Please book another round with us soon.

AWESOME !

I have played many courses at the beach over the last 20 years. I have found my favorite. Everything about the Thistle is 1st class. from the time I arrived to I left it was incredible. The staff, the course, the restaurant/bar was the best. I don't know why I waited so long to play this course. I will be back Labor day weekend and I will be playing the Thistle.

Response from on 08/22/2018:
Hello. Thank you for your 5-star rating! We are so glad you enjoyed your round, and we'll see you on Labor Day! Thanks for choosing Thistle Golf Club.

great layout,beautiful but short course

We played the Cameron and Stewart courses. The course is in great shape with beautiful fast greens running around 11. Amazingly dry given the last couple of weeks of rain. The front 9 Cameron was great with great pace of play. On the turn we find ourselves as part of 4 groups on the fist hole of Stewart. One flight on green next, a 3some on tee in their late 20s, 3 much older gentlemen around my age waiting then us, ie myself and my in-laws 82 and 78 of age. The problem was the young guns thot they should drive to the green at 317yds and waited till the first group walked off the green. They ended up driving between 240 and 275 yds. The ranger drove by and i wave for him to stop. Before i could say anything the 3 older guys jumped in and said everything is fine followed by a quick chat between themselves as they know the ranger being regulars at the course.All 3 took their time teeing off. we ended up waiting a good 25 minutes before we could tee off. That is totally unacceptable. We ended up waiting 3-10 mins before each shot given the 3 old slow deer in front. The young guns caught up with the group in front of them hence the gap opening up in front of the 3 slow old slow deer. Look i am 61 playing with my in laws both older than the 3 old slow deer. I got to talk to the ranger again but he made no attempt to move the speed up given that he knew them well. I was told everything was playing at the right pace which was not right given that they were then 1 stoke n 2 putts behind the young guns. Yes we were all riding and not walking. We waited on every shot 3-5 mins. Every hole after we putted out we drove to the next tee only to have to wait 3-5 mins again since they continue their slow play and still teeing off at the tee box. On the par 5 we saw the gun guns walking off the green but only to find ourselves waiting for these 3 guys to tee off. For a course that prides themselves and hold themselves to a higher standard and refusing to acknowledge slow play of their regulars, Its totally unacceptable after all it cost about $90, including fees per person. It is sad for such a well maintained course

Response from on 08/22/2018:
Hello. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars. We appreciate your feedback, and we will share it with the necessary staff. We hope you'll give us another try in the near future. Thanks for choosing Thistle Golf Club.
3.7111941176